Fenix L2T vs LiteFlux LF1

monobeg

Newly Enlightened
OK, I'm really surprized that this hasn't thread doesn't already exist, given how similar (and probably good) these lights are.

I'm looking at both. Here is a comparison table I put together BASED ON OTHER'S REVIEWS (I don't have either myself), followed by some comments and questions I wonder if anyone can answer:

-------------------- L2T ------------- FL1 -------------
Price:.............. $45.............. $40 .............
Beams:.............. 2................ 2 ...............
Battery options:
2xAA................ Yes.............. Yes .............
1xAA................ +$10 ............ Yes .............
CR123.............. maybe soon? ...... No (never) ......
Output*:
2xAA High........... 30 (79) ......... 34 (68) .........
2xAA Low............ 6.7? ............ 5.6 .............
1xAA High........... 18 (90) ......... 18 (63) .........
1xAA Low............ 6.1 ............. 2.5 (632) .......
Switches:
On/off........... Reverse-clickie .... Normal-clickie ..
Beam............. Rotate bezel ....... Rotate tail .....

*Output based on flashlightreviews Univeral Output chart, on NiMH
* () Runtime in minutes based on flashlightreviews Alkaline (because NiMH data not always provided)

Both have very similar form factors and similar stats in general, from what I see.
I think the main difference is that the FL1 comes with 1x and 2x AA bodies, while the L2T needs a $10 purchase from Fenixstore to get this. Also, Fenixstore may come out soon with a CR123 body for the L2T/L1T, whereas this is impossible for the FL1.
The switches are different, which is probably personal preference (although a 'true' clickie with tail-light beam control sounds better to me).
Both come with alot of (similar) accesseries too.

L2T:
A common critisizm of the L2T is that its 'low' setting is too high.

Here's the question:
Flashlightreviews measures the Low output at 6.7 on NiMH batteries, but 10.8 on alkaline.
If 6.7 is truely the output on low with NiMH, this places it slightly below a minimag. Now, I don't think a minimag is too bright for anything really, so...do people who've tried the light think its in this range, or is the Flashlightreviews' sample unusual.

Another question:
Does the L2T/L1T suffer from a 'flicker' on low mode caused by pulsing the voltage to decrease the output, like other lights?

FL1
I've read that the FL1 has somewhat of an adjustable beam (screwing on/off the head makes the spot wider/narrower).
This, in my opinion, would be a huge advantage.

Can anyone comment if this adjustable beam is usable in the 'real world'?

Finally, any comments on which of the two is better??? I'm stuck!

Last edited:

yekim

Enlightened
The L2T does not have any flicker that I have noticed. The low on it isn't a bad low stage, and I think is a good setting for 90% of the time, especially considering the runtime you get with it. For most it is fine, though some of us have been spoiled by lights that have a really low low setting. It isn't that bad, and the LF1's low isn't much dimmer than that of the l2t's in my book.

In practical use I think that the bezel brightness adjustment is easier and much more definite.

The adjustable focus on the LF1 is a joke in my book, but the ability to remove the head and use it in candle mode is a huge plus for me.

The Fenix has more Support for it and definitely a larger following, and that may be a deciding factor for many, the LF1 isn't as well known or as popular.

Neither one is better than the other as far as I can tell, just a matter of what suits you more, the L2T is a no-nonsense light that just works and works well, and the LF1 is more adaptable and more fun to play with.

I have a several more LF1's coming in for co-workers and friends that want them.

CoolLEDs

Newly Enlightened
I can't comment on the LiteFlux since I don't have one. But I do have an L2T.

The L2T does not flicker in low. I have another light that uses PWM to achieve lower light levels, and I can see the flicker when I shine it on a white wall and wave it around quickly. I see no flicker when I do the same thing with the L2T in low.

As for the brightness of the low mode, it seems comparable to a MiniMag with Nite Ize module (flashlightreviews.com shows this to have an output of 5.87). I did a ceiling bounce test and both the L2T on low and MiniMag/Nite Ize seem to illuminate the room to about the same level. I like the low mode a lot because it is bright enough to navigate around the house with and provides a long run time (with NiMH batteries). If you want to use the L2T low mode to read with in the dark, the hot spot might be too bright.

I like my L2T a lot. It's very useful, pretty small, and has good run time.

LED Cool

Enlightened
monobeg,
the LF1 adjustable bezel will de-focused the beam and provide a wide spill beam without any hot spot. however when de-focused, you will get a black dognut hole in place of the hot spot :shrug:

when running the LF1 on 2AA, the low mode is not much difference compared to L2T's low as you values above confirmed it.

when running the LF1 on 1AA, the low mode is significantly lower than L2T in a single AA body. most user feedback seems to preferred the LF1 (AA) lower low for dark adjusted eyes.

as to which one is better, well here is my take.

LF1 has the following features which, IMHO, are in favour of it.

1. true momentary clickie switch which give you 4 modes of operation.

2. 2 stage hi/low candle mode.

3. comes with 2AA extention tube.

4. better output regulation as reviewed by flashlightreviews's lithium AA graph

5. easier and one less step required to change to AA or 2AA configuration.
LF1 - (take off tail cap, removed in tube & replace tail cap) versus
L2T - (take off bezel, screw in bezel to L1T body, take off tail cap & replace tail cap to L1T body)

6. mod friendly - every part can be taken apart for furture mod or maintainance cleaning.

7. gift box & cigar grip rubber ring provided.

8. a slot is provided in the tail cap. you can install the reflective lanyard AND
a small split ring and still have a stable vertical tail standing capability.

9. red silicon push button provided. (if you like it better in red)

10. probably better and tougher HA III finish than L2T. but this is subjective and so far no one has done any scientific test to prove it.

of course, all these opinions are biased since i am s@lling the LiteFlux LF1!!! :naughty: :lolsign:
but i do have the L2T to compare before making these observation! :grin2:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think both lights are pretty evenly matched, which usually brings the decision down to ergonomics. I think the Fenix has better build quality of the tubes, but the LF1 has some nifty features. I have been a fan of the Fenix lights, but I must admit I like my LF1 too. Either one will do fine.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
I think it bears mentioning that the Fenix L2T's (much maligned) low setting is not too bright for everyone. I think that the LF1's low is too dim.(From what I've seen and read, I don't actually have one.) It will force you to use the high setting much more, which means you go through batteries faster/have less run time. Unless you need a really low setting more often, then the LF1 is a better deal, I guess. I would think that most people would be better served by the Fenix's brighter low. You can use a keychain/pocket light for when you need less light. A Three stage light would be ideal.(Does anyone from Fenix or LiteFlux browse this forum?) But if I could have my choice of only two brightness settings, I'd take the ones used in the L2T.(Or something close.)

monobeg

Newly Enlightened
yekim said:
The adjustable focus on the LF1 is a joke in my book...
Is this because of the black whole? On a minimag you can increase the size of the spot maybe three times before a black whole appears. Can you increase the size of the spot at all on the FL1 without getting a whole, or does it appear immediatly?

LED Cool said:
LF1 has the following features which, IMHO, are in favour of it...
1. true momentary clickie switch which give you 4 modes of operation.
What 4 modes?

LED Cool said:
4. better output regulation as reviewed by flashlightreviews's lithium AA graph
There's no lithium graph for the L2T, so its not fair to compare. But I agree that comparing alkaline to alkaline the FL1 has slightly better regulation.

yekim said:
Neither one is better than the other as far as I can tell, just a matter of what suits you more, the L2T is a no-nonsense light that just works and works well, and the LF1 is more adaptable and more fun to play with.

Why do you say the L2T isn't fun?!?! It looks like a fun light to me, especially if it had 3 bodies!!!

yekim

Enlightened
I did not say the L2T isn't fun, and as it is, it does not come with extra bodies. For the price you pay, the LF1 is more fun. I like my L2T alot, it is a good light.

As an aside, the tailcap on the L2T is easier to lock out with a short twist, to do the same on the LF1 takes a few turns.

It really is hard to say one is better than the other. I like the tint better on the LF1, but I like the beam shape/quality on the Fenix. I like the momentary on the LF1, but I like the function of the low/high on the Fenix. It really is a toss up, and if anyone asks, I'll suggest to get or borrow both as it is such a close call at this point that the question of whether one is better than the other is more dependent on the end user than anything else.

Both are so new that it will be awhile before one will stand out from the other as far as any inherent weakness or long term quality issues are concerned. Neither have any way of isolating the batteries to hold them in place so either may suffer a cracked circuitboard if the have a long fall and land on the bezel since the nose of the battery sits directly against the board. But then again, these are more executive lights and not something for really hard use.

These are just my thoughts, I am a newbie with flashlights in general, and a emerging freak for LED's, so my opinions and insights may be as matured as some.

LED Cool

Enlightened
monobeg,
the light which we are discussing is LF1 not FL1.

please see post#2 of the link below for the 4 modes.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/127530

the hot spot can be increased by turning the bezel (de-focused). as to whether the black hole appear immediately, it depends how far the LF1 is from a white wall.
the black hole will appear immediately if LF1 is a few inches from a white wall.
the black hole is not noticeable if the LF1 is a few feet from a white wall.

as to which is better, well it is a subjective choice. some placed more preference for a head twist 2 stage, some preferred tail cap twist. some do not need true momentary switch, some would die for it. some like the look of L2T, some wants the mod friendly & modularity of the LF1:shrug:

like i said in the above post, the 10 points differences above may or may not be relevant to everybody.

CPF motto "get them both!!!:rock:"

LED Cool

Enlightened
dapyro,

the present price of the LF1 is considered by many to be value for money as it includes a 2AA extention tube as well.

please see my signature line.:grin2:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If LED Cool's price on the LF1 is the best, you'll pay $57.40 for the light. If you buy an L2T from 4sevens's fenix-store.com, you'll pay $44.95 ($43.50 for the L1T), with free shipping. The LF1 does include many more options, though.

LED Cool

Enlightened
LF1 $54.95 shipped with 2AA tube. vs

L2T $53.95 shipped with L1T tube.

close :touche:

depends how many of the 10 points listed above are important to you.

:laughing:

x2x3x2

Banned
isnt the liteflux actually $50 since there's an additional $10 shipping charge?
btw led cool, what is the advantage of buying from u if it cost more than buying from the liteflux site? shouldnt it cost less to have a localised dealer so that people staying nearer ur region can get it cheaper shipping wise?

anyway i just ordered from the liteflux website, nothing to it really. just register, pay via paypal for me. then later, i got a confirmation email n a request for the $10 shipping. so that $50 for the LF1

reasons i chose LF1 over L2T

1. im tired of the bad tints in my fenixes. i've bought the L1P, L2P, P1 and E1. got everything from yellow to green to purple, never a white. might as well not advertise the bin they use if the tints to the consumer is like that.

i know some people say tint doesnt matter in actual use.
but being a flashaholic in this forum, i think being anal about the tint isn't so wrong. after all when u have a hobby, its only natural to want good stuff and pay fine attention to whatever attributes, not just good for everyday usability.

2. regulation according to quickbeam's graph is better on LF1.

3. LF1 has regular clicky, good for momentary.

4. LF1 does true candle mode being able to stand on tail n work with head module removed as well.

from my experience with the lesser known china made lights like the huntlight FT01. i've been convinced that popular brand names dont count, but rather more of a trial n error thing. maybe u would just stumble upon a company which actually makes good lights, great CONSISTANT tints n not overpriced.

Last edited:

dapyro

Newly Enlightened
LED Cool said:
dapyro,

the present price of the LF1 is considered by many to be value for money as it includes a 2AA extention tube as well.

please see my signature line.:grin2:

I believe it is with the specs and I hoped to get it for that price advertised above, but for the price difference I will stick with the cheaper L2T I already have. At the current time the L2T is available for cpfers for about 40 dollars including shipment by the way so the prices stated above don't seem actual.

d1337

Enlightened
Just ordered a LF1. Thanks for the post I didn't even know the LF1 existed until I read your post Monobeg.

LED Cool

Enlightened
dapyro,
the L2T price stated above is the actual normal price (53.95) and includes an extra L1T tube as well. with the L1T tube, you will have the option of carrying your fenix light in AA or 2AA configuration.

LiteFlux LF1 comes standard with a 2AA extention tube.($54.95)

granted now fenix is having a promotion for the L2T at around $40, but it does NOT include the L1T tube ($9). so how to compare ?

d1337, glad you ordered the LF1. You will enjoy it!

LED Cool

Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:
isnt the liteflux actually $50 since there's an additional $10 shipping charge?
btw led cool, what is the advantage of buying from u if it cost more than buying from the liteflux site? shouldnt it cost less to have a localised dealer so that people staying nearer ur region can get it cheaper shipping wise?

when you considered the manufacturer's RRP of LiteFlux LF1 at $40, what it includes and those extra features/function that LF1 offered, it is my own personal opinion that LiteFlux never intended the LF1 to be sold through any local distributor/dealer network.

if they wanted to sell in CPF, they would have introduced the LF1 V1.0 to the CPF community in january 2006. or the LF1 V2.0 in June 2006. and i believed a few reputable CPF dealers would have snatched at the opportunity to become the sole US dealer for the LF1. instead, a new, small and unknown CPF dealer far far away :wave:end up offering the LF1 to CPF.

at that time, there were quite an interest in this LF1 and detailed info were lacking and members were experiencing problems in getting one. since i am already selling the LF1 in Malaysia and have hands on experience on the LF1, i thought "why not" lets try it and made my offer at $55 shipped.

the difference of $5 is to cover the cost of shipping and handling form taiwan to malaysia, local import duties and sales taxes (when applicable), credit card charges (to open paypal account in malaysia, only credit card is acceptable) etc

according to LiteFlux, the cost of designing and manufacturing the LF1 is high due to the part/components used and its claimed HA III finishing. So dealer margin is low as the retail price is already set at an unprecedented
low.:wow:

The closest light that offer a similar CONCEPT (AA plus 2AA tube) is the J@tb@@m (MKI) $49 + $12 (2AA tube) + $2 (registered mail) = $63 shipped. MKII $90

so
LF1 is $50 shipped direct from the manufacturer in taiwan.
LF1 is $55 shipped from me located in malaysia.

why buy from me? well :thinking:
1) if a buyer has any questions before or after buying the light (whether from me or LiteFlux), she/he can post here or PM me. i logged in here everyday for at least a few hours so mostly likely i can give a reply quickly. LiteFlux has no representative presence in CPF and i do not claimed to be one. but sometimes it is good to know that there is a "LiteFlux" guy ready to answer your questions quickly.:wave:

2) i have replacement part immediately available in THIS region (South east asia). so owners in this region can get their replacement parts shipped faster and at a lower cost than from taiwan.
owners located in US or Europe probably do not experience much difference in the cost of shipping replacement parts, at least they will get a fast responds to their queries.

3) Liteflux news and updates on LiteFlux products.

basically, that is it. the most important thing is that CPF members will get to own and use LiteFlux products regardless of where they buy from.

my apology to monobeg. way off topic here. my bad. :whoopin:

Last edited:

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
It seems the main objection to the brighter low was for people that wanted to use it to read.
I hike & snowshoe a lot after dark and generally have my Princeton Tec EOS headlamp (great light) which I usually use on the low setting. I carry the L2T with me as a back-up and for emergency purposes. Having the low setting that lasts many hours is especially important - you never know what may occur. A reading light level low would not be that useful for me.

monobeg

Newly Enlightened
FYI

Fenixstore has 10% off L2T for the rest of the month for CPF members.
Am running late, but will try to link later (are you allowed to link to discounts in here?)