Do you remember ''taglines''?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You know...taglines...those one-line text bits often appended to messages posted on dial-up BBSs...

Here are a few that I've collected over the years:

Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?
...with this pain in all the diodes down my...
* DO NOT EAT THE BIG PINK MINTS IN THE URANATER *
Is it just me, or does anybody else hear a telephony ringing?
(A)bort, (R)etry, (P)iss pants?
**FLASH** Energizer bunny arrested, charged with battery
.gnorw og... gnorw og... gnorw og nac gnihtoN
(A)bort, (R)etry, (S)crew it?

The tagline "Is it just me, or does anybody else hear a telephony ringing?" was one I invented myself, after I signed into a BBS in Seattle around 1990 and somebody posted a question like that in one of the BBS' subboards soon thereafter.

If you have a tagline you've used or a favourite one you've seen, post it in this thread. :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Never did, but this one cracked me up:
The_LED_Museum said:
**FLASH** Energizer bunny arrested, charged with battery

Ah, the good'ol days of DOS messages. You'd be dammed if you chose any of the options... :thinking: ...not any different from today's blue screen of death or Windows error messages. :green:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
They are the original "cookies" - and the file they are kept in is usually refered to as your "cookie file" - my email program at home supports cookies - and you always get TWO from me - one is a cookie you get every time

For the Children - RKBA!

the other is picked from my file: Here is my current file

Anybody who cannot comprehend mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wash, cook food, and not make messes on the couch. --R.A.H.

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

I may not agree with a word you say, but I shall defend unto my death your right to say it. -- Voltaire

A conservative is a liberal who has been mugged.

A man's got to know his limitations. --Clint Eastwood

Hi, my name is Annie Key. Please don't hit me!

A rose by any other name would be "deadly thorn-bearing assault vegetation."

A sweater is a garment worn by a child when his mother feels chilly.

Adding manpower to a late software project only makes it later. -- Fred Brooks

Any given program, when running, needs debugging. Any debugged program is obsolete.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.--A.Clarke

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss.--R.A.H.

Cthulhu for President -- for when you're tired of choosing the _lesser_ of the two evils.

Darwin's Law of Carcinogens: Cancer cures smoking.

If the opposite of "pro" is "con", then what's the opposite of "progress"?

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean nobody's out to get you.

Shift to the left! Shift to the right! Pop up, push down! Byte, byte, byte!

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Time's fun when you're having flies.

To iterate is human, to recurse, divine.

"Wisdom is knowing what to do next. Skill is knowing how to do it. Virtue is doing it." -- David Starr Jordan

The Spartans do not ask the number of the enemy, only where they are. -- Agix of Sparta

"MOLON LAVE" ("Come and Take Them") -- King Leonidas

The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science requires reasoning, while those other subjects merely require scholarship. --Lazarus Long

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny. --Lazarus Long

If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion. --Lazarus Long

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. --Lazarus Long

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke - (British statesman - 1756)

"...to disarm the people (is) the best and most effective way to enslave them..." -- George Mason

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." -- Patrick Henry

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined"-- Patrick Henry

"It is in vain, Sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace! -- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the North will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that Gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry, March, 1775

"Blame the idiots. Think globally, but mock them locally. " -- mwalker ([email protected]) on slashdot.org

"Think about how dumb the average person is. Now consider that half of the world is even dumber than that. " -- [email protected]

"I can call K9 "him" if I want. He's my dog. " -- The Doctor

"If you liked the war on drugs, you're gonna love the war on guns." -- anonymous TRT person

"Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self defense." -- John Adams

VEGETARIAN, noun: Indian word meaning "lousy hunter".

Haben Sie sehr viel Furcht, denn ich bin mit Gewehr gut.

You Are, What You Do, When It Counts - The Masao

Old MacDonald had an agricultural real estate tax abatement. E-I-E-I-O

"The number of the beast - vi vi vi"

Ox2B | ~0x2B

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

I had a bumper sticker similar to that on my mk1 Mr2; mine said "dragons" instead of "wizards." It was especially funny because at the time I was a diesel mechanic, driving that tiny car through the yard with sometimes 50 Freightliners, Peterbuilts, and Kenworths around. Sure felt small.

:buddies:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
kc2ixe,

Your first, R.A.H. was Robert A. Heinlein. I've read everything he ever wrote, starting with Methuslah's Children in the 4th grade! TANSTAAFL! (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress!") The first ever tag line I ever saw was an ex friend: "Do not look into laser with remaining eye." (Which I have ripped-off for my sig line! :D )

Larry

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few. I have a bunch more somewhere...

-"Can blind people be dyslexic when they read braille?"
-"If you decide that you are indecisive, what are you?"
-"If an anarchist group obtain polictical power, would they fight themselves?"
-"If its zero degreees today and tomorows forecast is to be twice as cold, what will the temperature tomorow be?"
-"if barbie is sooo popular why do you have to buy her friends?"
-"how fast do hotcakes sell?"
-"What was the best thing before sliced bread?"
-"Why would superman want to jump the highest buildings if he can fly?"
-"Why are boxing rings called rings when they are square?"
-"Can blind people see their dreams?"
-"If you try to fail and succeed in failing, are you a failure or a success?"
-"Why do they sterilise the needle before the lethal injection?"
-"If masochist like to torture themselves, wouldnt they do it best by not torturing themselves? and if so then aren't we all masochists?"
-"Can atheists get insurance for acts of God?"
-"Do siamese twins pay for 1 tickets or 2?"

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
tvodrd said:
kc2ixe,

Your first, R.A.H. was Robert A. Heinlein. ...snip...

Of COURSE it was - is there any OTHER R.A.H out there? Joke? I probably prefer his juveniles - the other Joke? The first book of his I ever read was "number of the beast" - not one of his best - gets really wierd around the middle

Re-reading "MIAHM" right now - Manny is such a great character

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is basically just words of wisdom, right?

Like, "go with the flow"

and, "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get rice and beans! Oh Yeah!"!

fire-stick

Enlightened
huh2.gif
Must have been before my day???

Status
Not open for further replies.