to all members from the UK and (northern) ireland - private questions

laserbokkie

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

i have a few questions to ppl from the UK and ireland, especially northern ireland.

I was offered a job in a major production company in northern ireland.
They do offer up to 20.000 pounds sterling anual income.

What would you say to such an income if u have a family of three?
Is it adequate, alright or even good?

Another big decision point would be my dog.
I read that Ireland requires a six month quarantine, is that still so or are there any ways to get around it or make it a much shorter period?

Thx for any advice.
greetz
bokkie

Last edited:

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
Thats not a bad income for one person but you are gonna find things a bit tight with a family of three.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know housing prices in N. Ireland, but here in Edinburgh I'm lucky to find a two-bedroom flat for under £600/mo + council tax (£150/mo). If you plan to own a vehicle as well, you will have to live frugally. Like leeleefocus said, it is a good income if you are single, but pretty difficult for a family. I don't know of anyone who has gotten around the pet quarantine.

leduk

Enlightened
It doesn't sound like a right lot to me, for a family. You'll have all the relocation expenses and quarantine to pay for.

There would have to be something else in it for you, like promotion/ new experience/ training/ escape/ recent graduate job/ etc etc. for it to be worth it.

20k is about average earnings for the UK as a whole.

Unless you have some skills in a shortage area (at 20k I doubt it) the only reason to employ you is because you will work for less than a UK national. Lets say they would normally have to stump up 28-30k. So you'll soon get unhappy when you find out the going rate.

Its up to you at the end of the day but for 20k there would be many other reasons I'd be looking at.

If your partner also could find work it would help.

The UK is a secretive place when it comes to salaries people talk less about earnings than they do their emotions!

this might help.

Cheers.

Last edited:

laserbokkie

Newly Enlightened
hi,

thx for the replies. I was told my skills are in the shortage list of skills.

I am a civil engineering technician, think it´s an Higher National Diploma in the UK.
They approached me through a german website where i filled out a simple form.

Now the company didn´t give me a green light yet to go but seemed very much interested. Anyhow relocation should be supported at some point in an adequate way.

The company gave me an estimated cost of living list based on an anual income of 20k.
Here it is:
-------------------------------------
Details of costs of living in N.Ireland
Based on a salary of 20,000 Pounds

Typical Gross pay: 1667/mth

Net pay: 1276 after tax and national insurance

Deductions (based on a single person and costs are approximate)

Rent 250 /mth
Electricity 30/mth
Heating 20/mth
Groceries 225/mth
other expenses 50/mth

Total deductions 575/mth

Take home pay 701 / mth
---------------------------------------

I know it is based on a single person but the more information i get would put me in a better position for negotiations.

I found out thru the web that the average income is at about 22k. so i would be put back anyhow...

so my enthusiasm towards moving to the UK was brought back to reality...

leduk

Enlightened
Start negotiating.

I would say the housing costs are a little low and are proably for a small flat or shared house(more like 300-450 for a small family house). Gas and electricity have both gone up by as much as 40% in the last year alone. There is a little thing called "council tax" which will cost about £700 per year (depends where you live). Also if you have a house you will need to pay water rates which also cost quite a bit.

The Irish and Northern Irish are friendly people. There are fantastic places to see in both countries. The cultures and characters are different from England.

Cheers

Mad1

Enlightened
laserbokkie said:
I was offered a job in a major production company in northern ireland.
They do offer up to 20.000 pounds sterling anual income.

What would you say to such an income if u have a family of three?
Is it adequate, alright or even good?

Without using a comma that looks like 20GBP a year annual :lolsign:
Which certainly isnt enough to feed a family of 3. :laughing:

I have a friend who lives in Ireland and it can be very expsenive to live there especialy to buy anything.

Odd that the wage is in Pounds Sterling Ireland uses the Euro.

But also good because the exchange rate at the moment is.
1 EUR = 0.681749 GBP
1 GBP = 1.46682 EUR
www.xe.com/ucc

laserbokkie

Newly Enlightened
Ok,

referring to the websites that i´ve found on this subject, i can now tell that the offered salary of 15-20k GBP is something between a Road Sweepers income and a construction worker income and stiull a bit too far away from a building engineering technician with an HnD.

Although, it was meant to be that my wife would also start working at some point.

But if their offer is menat to be the final offer, even after probation, than it would go into the direction of a "No sir!".

bokkie