HDS Systems
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baltics are here!

Party Baltics are here!

I just ordered a Baltic in brass from Peak. The Baltic uses a TWOJ led and the same electronics as the Pacific. The head is smaller in size and they told me they are about the same size as a Matterhorn head, maybe slightly larger. You can also choose your drive level like the other models. I chose a high power which should be putting out about 110 candlepower. It uses a 17mm reflector (IMS?) which is cut down to 13mm and covered by a lens (plastic?). It has the same construction as the Pacific. The electronics screw in from behind. Should have a nice wide beam. The bodies that will be available are N cell, 2xN cell, AAA, and I think 2xAAA. I think all the bodies are currently available in HA and stainless. The brass just has the N cell available with the AAA bodies following in a couple of weeks.
    You have to call Peak directly to order. They said the website will be updated in a few weeks. I am not even sure exactly what these things look like, but I know they will be keychain sized. I should get mine by the end of next week and I will post some pictures.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Baltics are here!

I ordered one in stainless for AAA battery.

I scribbled a few notes while on hold for a minute. The head is about 5/8 inches diameter and the Baltic has the same threads as the Shasta. It is available with about 50cp to 175cp. Same price as the Pacific.

I already have the Shasta, Matterhorn, Kilimanjaro, Ranier, and Pacific and they are all in Aluminum. I know stainless will be heavy. Hope you enjoy the brass, Grubbster!

[I scribbled a few notes while on hold for a minute. The head is about 5/8 inches diameter and the Baltic has the same threads as the Shasta. It is available with about 50cp to 175cp. Same price as the Pacific.

I already have the Shasta, Matterhorn, Kilimanjaro, Ranier, and Pacific and they are all in Aluminum. I know stainless will be heavy. Hope you enjoy the brass, Grubbster![/QUOTE]

Was there any mention of a hearing aide battery configuration??

Flashaholic*

Great news!

Have to call since they are not on the website yet

Any news if the lugged AAA body will be available...without the screw in post?
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

Flashaholic*

I also hope that the lug style will be available.

Flashaholic

brotherbob, yes there was mention of a hearing aid type battery configuration. I'm sorry I didn't write it down since I didn't think that would be useful to me. It was either LR44 or LR45 to the best of my recollection.

I ordered a keychain configuration but asked about lug bodies for my Matterhorn. He said he didn't think they had any left and it was never popular. They had a bunch returned from resellers. I think it's strange that they didn't sell since I know the lug bodies are popular with Arc fans. I really want some lug bodies too.

The gentlemen on the phone also mentioned some Delrin plastic caps are in the works for the Pacific battery tubes. I asked because I would like to keep Lithium batteries in the extra tubes to switch the head to other tubes when it's battery dies.

[QUOTE=h_nu]brotherbob, yes there was mention of a hearing aid type battery configuration. I'm sorry I didn't write it down since I didn't think that would be useful to me. It was either LR44 or LR45 to the best of my recollection.

Bring on the LR44 configuration, I have been waiting since Feb for it!!!

On their website they show AAA Matterhorn lug style bodies in Type lll and brass for $5 even though they do not update very often. It shows under accessories then Matterhorn towards the bottom.

Grubberster - thank you for the heads up! I managed to order one of the stainless single AAA lights before Peak closed on Friday. Had a great conversation with them and had a hard time with the choices of aluminum, brass or stainless. They have choices for battery types and quantities as well as a choice of brightness (I went for long running similar brightness as the high Matterhorn). I felt the addiction welling as the different body types to come were mentioned - the choice for the pair of small button cell batteries sounds interesting!
    Brian

After getting an HDS, other flashlights seem much less relevant (Except for some of the really special lights found on CPF!)
    When things are really dark, a dim light for a long time is much better than a blinding light for a short time.

Flashaholic*

Last night at the Phoenix Get-together we had a chance to look at the new Baltics. I'm not sure what Peaks plans are for a release announcement so I will keep my comments brief and none specific but the Baltic is a very very nice light. If you like the Pacific you will go nuts over this light. If you like the L0P then this light will easily replace it. (No contest) Quality is great all around including beam and brightness. I believe that you will find this light has been well worth the wait and I look forward to getting one.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lebkuecher
    Last night at the Phoenix Get-together we had a chance to look at the new Baltics. I'm not sure what Peaks plans are for a release announcement so I will keep my comments brief and none specific but the Baltic is a very very nice light. If you like the Pacific you will go nuts over this light. If you like the L0P then this light will easily replace it. (No contest) Quality is great all around including beam and brightness. I believe that you will find this light has been well worth the wait and I look forward to getting one.

Just curious. But does the Baltic have the same brightness as the pacific?. Also what is the runtime compared to the pacific?.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikey
    Just curious. But does the Baltic have the same brightness as the pacific?. Also what is the runtime compared to the pacific?.
    I didn't have a Pacific in my hand when I was playing with it so it's hard to tell. Just guessing and depending on battery type I would say about the same. Robyn is far more qualified to answer your questions.

Flashaholic*

Thumbs up Re: Baltics are here!

Quote Originally Posted by Lebkuecher
    I agree, the Baltics we saw at the get-together were very nice. I think people are going to be impressed by it. All of the different body options will make it a very flexible light.

Flashaholic

bigmikey, the gentleman I spoke with said that the Baltic would be about half as bright as the Pacific mainly due to the smaller reflector size. He said you can order it with any drive level you want between about 50cp and 175cp.

For those of you that placed phone orders, do they usually confirm via email? I followed up my phone call with an email to make sure everything was clear but I haven't heard back from Peak. I sure hope I can get the lug bodies for my Matterhorn. The web shows them but they said they may be out.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by h_nu
    bigmikey, the gentleman I spoke with said that the Baltic would be about half as bright as the Pacific mainly due to the smaller reflector size. He said you can order it with any drive level you want between about 50cp and 175cp.
    Well, technically it should be just as 'bright' in terms of total lumens as any other Luxeon-III light at the same drive current, but the maximum intensity of the hotspot will be less with a smaller reflector.

Since lumens are notoriously difficult to measure accurately without specialized equipment, many testers simply measure the intensity of the hotspot (in candlepower), which varies with the size and type of reflector.

Flashaholic

I think I feel the paypal trigger being pulled! After a conversation with Curt I have to have one!
    Visualize whirled peas........

Flashaholic

Hmmm, these sound rather promising. Not sure about making telephone orders from the uk though. I might have to wait till they are up on the website.
    marc

how was the beam?.... hot spot with useful spill or tube of light?

any runtime info at various drives?

anyone know the Pacific drive? (I love my PACIFIC)
    Don't leave a light on for me.

Watch buying by paypal. I talked to Robyn who gave the PP address and then 20 minutes later I sent the paypal (this was last monday). Apparently the fact that I ordered the light (HA3 Baltic) sight unseen and unreviewed wasn't enough to convey the message that I didn't want my paypal sitting unclaimed for a week. She is supposed to get back on monday and I hope that the paypal will be claimed and order shipped then . Talk about irritating! Bad Peak! Bad Peak!

Sorry Robyn and Peak, this was my own stupidity. Believe it or not there is quite a difference between .net and .com, duh! Make sure paypals are sent to sales@peakledsolutions.net .
    Last edited by xochi; 08-28-2006 at 11:41 AM.

Got mine today and posted a quick review in the Review section. Took some pics too but don't see a way to post them.

So far, I'm VERY happy with my choice of stainless steel, single AAA, low power Baltic. Probably going to buy an aluminum Baltic to replace the Matterhorn on my keychain. . . .
    Brian

After getting an HDS, other flashlights seem much less relevant (Except for some of the really special lights found on CPF!)
    When things are really dark, a dim light for a long time is much better than a blinding light for a short time.

Flashaholic*

Wow! Hope I will receive mine soon. Ordered 18 of this month, waiting is almost over!
    Can't wait!

What's the rationale of using a Lux-III in the Baltic? Isn't a Lux-I more efficient at these low levels?

Sure would like to see pix!??

jeffb

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Galiphrey
    What's the rationale of using a Lux-III in the Baltic? Isn't a Lux-I more efficient at these low levels?
    I don't know, but it does make it easier to overdrive them.
    [ JIL info post here ]

Quote Originally Posted by jeffb
    Sure would like to see pix!??

jeffb
    I also want to see a pic!

Got home today and found a package in my mailbox. Here are pics:

Left to right: dorcy 1AAA, minimag, gerber, matterhorn, pacific 1AA pocket, pacific 1AAA, baltic N cell.

Left to right: dorcy 1AAA, minimag, gerber, matterhorn, pacific 1AA pocket, pacific 1AAA, baltic 1AAA (they don't have brass yet)

Left to right: dorcy 1AAA, minimag, gerber, matterhorn, pacific 1AA pocket, pacific 1AAA, baltic 2N cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Galiphrey
    Hey fellow Georgian (I'm here in Cumming!), I believe that one of the key factors in the efficiency equation is exactly what is available to the maker. I spoke with K/Curt and he ran through some lux figures of lux1's vs luxIII's the results were overwhelmingly in favor of the luxIII's but we didn't speak about specific bin codes or anything. The baltic and pacific run the led at lower than usual currents , current levels typically overlooked by cpfers (and cpfers who have tested efficiencies). So, while this could be a case of performance variances based on signifigant bin differences, K/Curt was certainly proficient enough in his craft to realize how worthless a test like that would be so I tend to believe that his testing (if unrelated to slight variances in die height-joker vs non joker LEDs) is showing that the luxIII's have a bit more umph at lower currents.

Thanks for the info, Xochi. More umph, got it. (Yep, Cumming's not far; in fact I work with a guy from there.) K/Curt is a Peak engineer, I presume?

Uhhh, ya know, he was handed the phone when I began to ask technical questions, but I really don't know if he's an engineer or not. Maybe he just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before . I certainly do get the impression that he hangs out there alot .

Thanks for the pictures; I believe I see an "N" cell in my future!

jeffb