Need suggestions for 2D or 3D long run time

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's a good 2D or 3D with long run time? I dont' care for Lux, just want hours and hours of great run time. 5mm LEDs? Ideally not plastic case.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get one of the SMJLED PR bulbs (check CPFer lambda's posts) which cost about $10 right now and put it into any 2 battery flashlight host. Runs a LONG time on AAs, runs a lot longer on 2Ds. They're a lot brighter than (at least the 2AA) Nite-Ize and run as long or longer.

fishx65

Enlightened
The 3D Dorcy Luxeon is on clearence at Lowes for $23.00. Lots of great posts about this light. Great throw and runs a long time. Very happy with the two I picked up! Got lucky and picked mine up at Target for $5.00 each but would have no problem paying $23.00! I think the runtime is 30 hrs + !

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Go for the SMJLED PR bulb for a standard 2D cell light. I've bought from both lamba and trueblue here on CPF.

In my testing, it's initially about 2/3 as bright as the standard incadescent, but runs for days instead of hours. Only two reviews I've seen have pegged runtime at around 35-40 hours to 50% output, but in my case it was over 3 days. By 7 days, I was around 30% of original output.

I can't recommend the Nite-Ize replacement bulb, because it is a *lot* dimmer than the SMJLED (more like ~20% as bright initially, compared the standard incadescent). I'm sure it would last a good long while, but too little light frankly.

QuadMan

Newly Enlightened
The SMJLED PR bulbs are a good choice. This review: http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/smjled_bulb.htm shows 40 hours to 50%.

Another option that would give more output would be the new magleds bulbs reviewed here: http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm and in this thread: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119665&page=8&pp=30 The 2 and 3 cell both give about 30 hours of fairly constant light afer the initial drop at the 15 minute mark. I think the 3 cell is putting out about twice the light of the 2 cell after the drop (compare NewBie's graph in post 211 with the graph in Quickbeam's review). Note the 30% drop compared to a 55-65% in the other.

Don

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's not miss the obvious. A Magled module for your 3D Mag will get in the neighborhood of 23 hours of runtime in regulation, and be lots brighter all the way than your stock bulb or any 5mm led solutions. Only 16 bucks at Home Depot.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you show a few examples on ebay?

My local Walmart didn't have anything like that the last time I checked. Where would I even look in there?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the sporting goods department at Wal*Mart. Look at the racks that have flashlights.

Can't help you with eBay, the only thing I ever see there are scammers and suckers.

etc said:
can you show a few examples on ebay?

My local Walmart didn't have anything like that the last time I checked. Where would I even look in there?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see the Lightwaves are on closeout with some very good prices compared to before. I wonder if they are going out of business or about to offer upgraded LED models. I would think a Lightwave 4000 with ten Nichia CS LEDs would be a pretty decent light.

javafool said:
http://eppescorner.safeshopper.com/specials.htm?349

Best price I have ever seen for Lightwave flashlights. I bought a 3000 and a 4000.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a NiteIze PR based bulb in a 4D M*g. In total darkness it's a decent amount of light.

I have M*gleds in a 2D, 3D and 3C. They are PLENTY bright, and if the runtimes mentioned are correct, I would HIGHLY recommend them!

Nearly $19 at Walmart, and around $17 at Home Depot for 2 and 4 cell modules.

But I figure I'll get nearly a week from the NiteIze should another Rita come around!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I have a NiteIze PR based bulb in a 4D M*g. In total darkness it's a decent amount of light.

I have M*gleds in a 2D, 3D and 3C. They are PLENTY bright, and if the runtimes mentioned are correct, I would HIGHLY recommend them!

Nearly $19 at Walmart, and around $17 at Home Depot for 2 and 4 cell modules.

But I figure I'll get nearly a week from the NiteIze should another Rita come around!

Good one, PJS. But we all know we each have a significant stockpile of alks lying around! If not, shame, shame!! I got the runtime on the 3D from flashlightreviews.com.