K2 Kroma is now on Surefire's website.

WDR65

Enlightened
Clicked on Surefire's site just a minute ago and noticed it on the main page. Apparently instead of a 15 lumen secondary beam on the luxeon it has a 1.4 lumen beam and the main beam is only 50 lumens. Kinda sounds like the luxeon A2 everbody wanted a few years ago, but with a few extras.

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
I wonder how the output of the Kroma MilSpec and PKEF models compares?

frankbyerswat

Newly Enlightened
I donn't like it!It's not bright and not useful.
I am very interseting about its tailcap,how to change its mode of output.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I myself own a Kroma Milspec, and to me it is very useful indeed.

Not only is it more than bright enough for most of my needs, it is able to provide low light for situations that call for such a need. And in my opinion that is often overlooked.

Is this Light for everybody? Perhaps not, but few if any Lights are. But as I say, for me, the Kroma gets an A Plus.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I hadn't already sold my U2's and A2's..The K2 Kroma I've had for just one
week now, would have caused me to...

This is one sweet light indeed, a true hardcore user light :)

I opted for the regular K2 instead of the Mil-Spec. Decision was based mainly
on the added LED's in red/blue which provides a much better red/blue beam
without the artifacts and Olympic rings of the Mil-Spec.

If you don't own a Kroma, get one!

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
Kroma is on SF website now, I confirmed yesterday that these will not be shipping until the dealer orders are filled. I was told there are over 5000+ backorders for the regular KROMA alone. A few of them shipped buy some other issues have slowed the production/shipment of the rest. They are coming, just trickling to get through all the backorders. The Milspec has been officially announced, released no. Actually my rep is no longer referring to it as a MILSPEC, but a K2-RD/BL/IR/YG. Not sure why, but just thought it was interesting to note. I can also confirm that no one has these in stock right now. Every dealer I know has most if not all of their incoming KROMA stock on preorder or at least committed. Check my thread in the dealers corner as I keep it up to date there as well with whatever news makes it out of SF.

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
I searched and read quite a few threads related to the K2, but couldn't find why the Kroma is only rated at 50 lumens. Did they do this to ensure a longer runtime?

If I'm not mistaken, even the lower-output K2's should be more powerful than that...

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
KDOG3,

I have to admit I haven't seen the recent releases from SureFire that come with optics, so I'll be looking forward to that. Past experience suggests a tighter spot, but less spill, so I suppose it would seem brighter at the center...

270winchester,

I'm not completely sure that by using quotes in your lumen ratings, you're implying that SureFire ratings are incorrect/under-rated (at least such rumors existed for the KL4, as the L4 is now rated at 100 lumens), or if you're suggesting that 50 lumens isn't low because other lights are of similar ratings, and I shouldn't be complaining.

Perhaps I should clarify.

My comment/question (and NOT a complaint) was simply addressing my confusion over why the K2 is only outputting 50 lumens. I am not suggesting 50 lumens is not enough for a tactical light! I was simply under the impression that the K2 was binned for 45~140 lumens (R~V), which led to the question of why SureFire would use:
a) a lower binned K2
or
b) under-drive a higher-binned K2
or
c) use a K2 at all when similar lumen ratings could be achieved with a Lux III or V.

If the answer is simply something along the lines of: "It's meant to be used as a utility light for people who do xyz, and the super high output was probabaly deemed unnecessary." -- then I would be happy with that. I just wanted to know.

Thanks for any input/clarification,

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok...

It's meant to be used as a utility light for people who do xyz, and the super high output was probabaly deemed unnecessary.

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist. But that is a pretty accurate answer...in a "tactical" situation, often the object is not to be seen. :) RadarGreg has a post about this in his review thread on the Kroma...

JM-99