Alkaline v nimh--breakeven current ?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
We know alkalines cannot give the same current output as nimh's at higher consumption levels. (Lower internal resistance etc)

I just wonder what the breakeven point is, whereby current output is equivalent, probably by giving similar illumination levels ?

Probably not in Luxeons, but in multi led lights.

I'm sure you know what I mean, even if it is difficult to explain !

Theoretical assumptions will not doubt be made, ie ma, mah, Ω, etc

Thinking of AA cells in particular

abvidledUK said:
We know alkalines cannot give the same current output as nimh's at higher consumption levels. (Lower internal resistance etc)

I just wonder what the breakeven point is, whereby current output is equivalent, probably by giving similar illumination levels ?

Probably not in Luxeons, but in multi led lights.

I'm sure you know what I mean, even if it is difficult to explain !

Theoretical assumptions will not doubt be made, ie ma, mah, Ω, etc

Thinking of AA cells in particular

There's no easy answer in real life. With most non-regulated lights, alkalines last way longer, because the light is dimmed gradually with voltage.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
with the advent of eneloop and other brands, I see no reason to use alkaline battery`s.

apart from remote controls and wall clocks and other low current devices.

but as the price drops, I see them being replaced also.

I am just waiting for an 9volt eneloop to go in my smoke alarms.

ps. I have been thinking about the break even point between alkaline and lithium battery's for a while, some people put lithium's in low current devices where alkaline battery's will run just as long.

regards.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
TinderBox (UK) said:
with the advent of eneloop and other brands, I see no reason to use alkaline battery`s.
I pretty much feel that way at this point too. Once the price of Eneloops approaches that of regular NiMH the alkalines in the remotes and wall clocks are going too

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA: 100mA
AA: 100mA
C: 150mA
D: 100mA

For constant current loads greater than the above number, a NiMH rechargable cell will give you longer service life than the alkaline, due to an alkaline not being able to deliver full capacity at higher current.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello AbvidledUK,

Looking at performance at various discharge currents, it seems that Alkaline cells will give up most of their capacity at loads up to 100 mA. At around 500 mA, around half of their capacity us given off as heat. With this as a guideline, I would suggest that Alkaline cells are excellent for loads under 100 mA, and marginal for loads up to 250 mA. Above 250 mA you will get better performance from NiMh cells.

Tom

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
TinderBox (UK) said:

apart from remote controls and wall clocks and other low current devices.

but as the price drops, I see them being replaced also.

I am just waiting for an 9volt eneloop to go in my smoke alarms.

ps. I have been thinking about the break even point between alkaline and lithium battery's for a while, some people put lithium's in low current devices where alkaline battery's will run just as long.

regards.
Why wait for Eneloop 9V to use in smoke alarms? Read here:CPF Thread

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox said:
Hello AbvidledUK,

Looking at performance at various discharge currents, it seems that Alkaline cells will give up most of their capacity at loads up to 100 mA. At around 500 mA, around half of their capacity us given off as heat. With this as a guideline, I would suggest that Alkaline cells are excellent for loads under 100 mA, and marginal for loads up to 250 mA. Above 250 mA you will get better performance from NiMh cells.

Tom

Now this is the quality of reply I was hoping for.

Thanks