Can I mix battery types on a DSD charger?

SCblur

Enlightened
Is it okay to charge varying battery types/sizes at the same time on the DSD charger? I am specifically referring to LG18650's, AW18650's, AW17670's and AW14670's in my particular case.

Thanks,
Josh

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Mixing cells is bad...

Not following basic safety rules with Lithium cells is probably not the smartest thing to do.

Maybe the 18650s can be charged together (if the capacity is the same) but I really wouldn't want to try mixing the others...

SCblur

Enlightened
Thanks guys,

I wasn't aware how the DSD treated two batteries on the charger at once. Thanks for the info, as this isn't my area of expertise. I'll stick to charging only same brand/size/capacity cells at the same time.

Josh

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Josh,

I am afraid I will have to disagree with the others.

Parallel charging of Li-Ion cells that are in different states of charge or differing capacities in a charger that limits the maximum voltage to 4.2 volts is perfectly safe. It gets a bit tricky to figure out which cell is full, but if you leave them both on the charger for the amount of time it would take to charge the highest capacity cell, you should end up with both cells fully charge. A voltage measurement can confirm this.

Series charging is where you get into trouble.

Tom

Illum

Flashaholic
sorry if bumping old threads aren't appropriate, I don't want to create a new thread for something that may have already been asked before

theoretically speaking, mixed battery types can be used in the DSD provided both cells are protected or still not recommended? [my battery types are 14500s and 17670s]

can the DSD charger charge only once cell at once or is this not recommended? if I was to charge only one cell in the DSD at once....is it safe to assume that the terminals on the other charging slot is not "hot"?

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hi I_t_n,

While it is probably safe to charge batteries of different capacities/sizes on the DSD it is probably best not to.The DSD is a "dumb" charger and both charging bays are wired together.So the lower capacity battery may get fully charged and the higher cap battery won't get a full charge.

Yes the DSD will charge one battery at a time.

NO! It is never safe to assume something is not hot until you've checked it with a meter.

Andy

sorry if bumping old threads aren't appropriate, I don't want to create a new thread for something that may have already been asked before

theoretically speaking, mixed battery types can be used in the DSD provided both cells are protected or still not recommended? [my battery types are 14500s and 17670s]

can the DSD charger charge only once cell at once or is this not recommended? if I was to charge only one cell in the DSD at once....is it safe to assume that the terminals on the other charging slot is not "hot"?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Andy,

Just a minute now...

Are you saying that the DSD charges cells in parallel?

Parallel charging of Li-Ion cells is safe as long as the cells are close to the same voltage before paralleling them (within 0.5 volts of each other). Being able to charge cells of differing capacities is one of the advantages of parallel charging. You do need to pay attention to the charge rate and make sure that it is suitable for the lowest capacity cell. Charging in parallel adds the capacities of the cells together, so you may find that it takes longer to complete the charge.

Tom

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tom,

Yes I do believe the DSD is a parallel charger,I know it's not charging in series.And I know it's not charging each slot seperately.So that leaves...?

The nice thing about the DSD is it only charges at 350ma total,175ma per slot.Hard to get into trouble at that low a charging current.

The main problem with the DSD has always been the shoddy QC.If you have one that works within specs (mine does!) it's really not too bad.

Andy

Hello Andy,

Just a minute now...

Are you saying that the DSD charges cells in parallel?

Parallel charging of Li-Ion cells is safe as long as the cells are close to the same voltage before paralleling them (within 0.5 volts of each other). Being able to charge cells of differing capacities is one of the advantages of parallel charging. You do need to pay attention to the charge rate and make sure that it is suitable for the lowest capacity cell. Charging in parallel adds the capacities of the cells together, so you may find that it takes longer to complete the charge.

Tom

Illum

Flashaholic
thanks for the tip on that matter

I think instead of having just 1 17670 I'll buy another...its going to be used in my L4 since its eating 123A cells way too quickly:crazy: