Convert a Baby Swing From Battery To Wall Adapter

reviewum

Enlightened
Friends,

It's been a while since I've been around! New job, new baby, new addition to the house... I've been busy!

Well, I've got a general question that is electronic, but not light related. I've got a NEW baby swing that takes 4 D batteries and I want to plug it in. Sounds straight forward, but a little background:

We had an old baby swing that I had converted from 3 D batteries to plug in using a universal adapter set at the correct polarity and 4.5 volts. Worked perfect for the first baby. When the second baby came I pulled it out of storage and plugged it in. It seemed very slow, like it wasn't getting enough juice so I measured the voltage... it was something like 3.5 volts. I cranked up the voltage on the universal adapter to 6 v. and everything was fine again... well it was for about 2 months and then one day it just died. I could hear the motor, but nothing was happening.

Well, long story short, I don't know if I killed the last one, but don't want to fry this new fancy one. Any suggestions on what I can / Should do to get this to work using my universal adapter and a multimeter?

Thanks in advance!

(BTW... love this new forum software WAY BETTER than the old one!)

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
When we had small kids we had borrowed a 4 D-cell powered baby swing. I forget the brand but it was blue with a white seat and had a sort-of paddle that pushed the swing back and forth. After a while it stopped working (wouldn't keep swinging). I eventually figured out that the ball bearings in the swing had worn out (perhaps because of the back and forth motion instead of round and round, so the bearings wore unevenly). So I pulled them out and measure them then went and bought another pair (had to pull out the covers on the side to get open-race bearings, since I figured they might drag too much otherwise). Installed them and it worked for many more years.

So, perhaps you have a bearing problem.

Greg

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those swings are made to last for only a few months of use... We went through two in 5 months. What can I say the boy really liked his swings!

reviewum

Enlightened
hey all, thanks for the replies! I took the old one apart and you were right, the "paddle" that gently pushes the swing from side to side had busted.

Well, with the new one I'm still a bit paranoid about giving the motor too much, or too little juice. This one runs on 4 D batteries, so is it safe to assume a 6 volt wall adapter should work fine?

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
well what's the worst thing that could go wrong? The baby could start vibrating like Muldar in a UFO time- alteration scene and maybe lose a couple hours..but that might make him sleepy too.. or the converter could malfunction during a thunderstorm giving the baby psychic powers.. but that wouldn't be anything you couldn't fix with the multi-meter and a screwdriver..
I say do it, I say install a Ti paddle in the sucker and crank it to 9..!

(time for my medicine now)

Last edited:

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a voltmeter (digital multi-meter (DMM)) then you could measure the voltage of 4 fresh D-cells while it is running. It may be a little bit below 6 volts. Then measure it with the 6 volt adapter you want to use and make sure it isn't too much higher. Many of these wall adapters aren't regulated so if you are drawing less current than they are rated for the voltage will be higher than expected. (e.g. a wall adapter rated at 1000mA and you are only drawing 200mA).

Greg

Brock

Flashaholic
I went the simple route and got some more NiMH D cells, mostly because my wife likes to move the swing and it was easier to swap out the batteries once a week whether they needed it or not. It was expensive to start out, but I use the batteries in other things as well.