ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 46

Thread: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* JimH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,716

    Default Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    After my recent , SheDevil gave me the chance to redeem myself by providing me with the dates of the next "real" Gun and Knife show. SheDevil

    The next south bay show according to SheDevil is
    Quote Originally Posted by SheDevil
    I did some checking and there is a "hunting, guns, knives and collectables" show at the Santa Clara fairgrounds on Oct. 28 and 29. Admission is 8 bucks.
    SheDevil
    It's a little bit down the road, timewise, but that will you all time to clear your calendars.

    Place: TS Gun and Knife Show, Santa Clara County Fair Grounds
    Date: Saturday, Oct 28, 2006 (see, I got the year right this time )
    Time: 11:00 AM

    Activities:
    - Meet old friends
    - make new friends
    - see lots of neat stuff
    - spend more money than you planned
    - lunch after the show (time and place TBD)

    Last edited by JimH; 08-22-2006 at 02:51 PM.
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

    The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

  2. #2
    Flashaholic* LowBat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,525

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Sounds like a fun day drolling over all the stuff we really don't have any use for. I might even buy something.

    If all goes right I should have that day off after 15 months of working weekends. If not, I need a new job!

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* modamag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,101

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Larry, don't you need a mountain lion taming blade. That's what Tony got.

  4. #4
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,964

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Umm... I'm not so sure about that senior moment that you thought you had.
    The did have an event scheduled for the fairgrounds this past weekend, http://www.tsgunshows.com/index.htm the dates would not have been correct for 2004.

    Oddly enough, I drove past the fairgrounds a couple of times over the weekend and did not pay any attention to whether or not there were any events going on.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    After my recent ,

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* LowBat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,525

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Quote Originally Posted by modamag
    Larry, don't you need a mountain lion taming blade. That's what Tony got.
    I've always hiked behind him so I wouldn't get blinded by whatever aircraft landing light he was using; now I have another reason to keep a safe following distance.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* knifebright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    sanfran by way of boston
    Posts
    740

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Guns, Knives and Flashlights oh my..... sounds like i'll be spending some cash that day.
    jimmy
    "the most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user" Colonel Jeff Cooper >>>100% safe Queen Free!<<<

  7. #7
    *Flashaholic* CLHC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    PNW|WA|USA
    Posts
    6,005

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Does Santa Clara County permit straight-away purchase on like say a Benelli M3 Super 90? Probably not huh?

    If I'm not mistaken, don't they (SCC Sheriff's Deputies) "screen" each person coming in to this kind of show? Especially for "contrabands" like knives on one's person?

    Now this get together may be something to look forward to!

  8. #8
    Flashaholic* modamag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,101

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Jim's what the meeting location. The fairground is fairly large

  9. #9
    Flashaholic* JimH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,716

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Quote Originally Posted by Brighteyez
    Umm... I'm not so sure about that senior moment that you thought you had.
    The did have an event scheduled for the fairgrounds this past weekend, http://www.tsgunshows.com/index.htm the dates would not have been correct for 2004.
    That's what I thought I saw before some well meaning soul pointed out that I might be having a senior moment. Problem was that I just couldn't find the correct info again.

    Thanks for the info. First I felt stupid for being stupid. Now I feel stupid for feeling stupid about being stupid.
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

    The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* JimH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,716

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Quote Originally Posted by CHC
    Does Santa Clara County permit straight-away purchase on like say a Benelli M3 Super 90? Probably not huh?
    I'm not aware of any restrictions of straight-away purchases of air soft guns.

    Quote Originally Posted by CHC
    If I'm not mistaken, don't they (SCC Sheriff's Deputies) "screen" each person coming in to this kind of show? Especially for "contrabands" like knives on one's person?
    I don't think they care what you bring in - just that it's not concealed. Every time I take my purse in, they ask me if I have a gun in it. I tell them no, and that's the end of it. Remember, people come here to sell guns and knives as well as buy them.
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

    The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* JimH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,716

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Quote Originally Posted by modamag
    Jim's what the meeting location. The fairground is fairly large
    There will be signs from the main entrance on Tully to the building where the gun show is being held. You won't have a problem finding it (first post updated with map). How about if we meet out front of the gun show building at 11:00, and then, for those who want to and for late comers, on the hour after that.

    It looks like we may have more than a few people show up. We'll have to find a good place for lunch that can handle a group.
    Last edited by JimH; 08-22-2006 at 02:53 PM.
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

    The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

  12. #12
    *Flashaholic* CLHC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    PNW|WA|USA
    Posts
    6,005

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    I didn't know that "airsoft dealers" attend these events. Was more interested in the "real steel" deal. But I know that's not how it works here. There's still the 15-Day Waiting Period + the BFSC(?) testing/certificate that is in order.

    The B/S/T on knives and firearms makes sense. . . Wasn't thinking about that.

    Another way may be to PM fellow CPF members attending, and if one so desires, exchange mobile numbers?

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* JimH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,716

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    I think the 15 day wait and safety certificate is only for buying from a dealer, but I wouldn't swear to it. I don't think it applies to private party sales. You just have to have a dealer do the transfer paperwork to make it legal.
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

    The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

  14. #14
    *Flashaholic* CLHC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    PNW|WA|USA
    Posts
    6,005

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    That's right. The DROS.

    The local sheriff's department can do it to—when I was selling my Colt's Mfg. Co. LLC M-HBAR to a friend of mine. . .He backed out of the deal when I mentioned about wanting to go to the SCCS Department in downtown San Jose, since I called them and gave them a head's up about my transaction. He backed out of the deal, Hmmm. . . Something's amock/amuck.
    Last edited by CLHC; 08-22-2006 at 03:47 PM.

  15. #15
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,964

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    I just tell people that I'm losing my mind. That way they don't think I'm getting senile

    Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    That's what I thought I saw before some well meaning soul pointed out that I might be having a senior moment. Problem was that I just couldn't find the correct info again.

    Thanks for the info. First I felt stupid for being stupid. Now I feel stupid for feeling stupid about being stupid.

  16. #16
    Flashaholic* JimH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,716

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Quote Originally Posted by Brighteyez
    I just tell people that I'm losing my mind. That way they don't think I'm getting senile
    On the show "Boston Legal", Denny Crane (played by William Shatner) has the early stages of alzheimers. He just tells people it's mad cow disease
    Last edited by JimH; 08-24-2006 at 05:25 PM.
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

    The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

  17. #17
    Flashaholic* CroMAGnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    2,540

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    I heard rumors about this thread and now that I see they're true I'll have to figure out what knives/flashights to wear.

    I'm in.

  18. #18
    *Flashaholic* CLHC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    PNW|WA|USA
    Posts
    6,005

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Hopefully that Dozier Knife to ward off mountain lions will do. And speaking of mountain lions, have you heard of this one entering a home?

    http://my.earthlink.net/article/str?...08231198139637

    I wonder, wonder, wonder. . .
    LUX'Ottica

  19. #19
    Flashaholic* CroMAGnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    2,540

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Quote Originally Posted by CHC
    Hopefully that Dozier Knife to ward off mountain lions will do. And speaking of mountain lions, have you heard of this one entering a home?

    http://my.earthlink.net/article/str?...08231198139637

    I wonder, wonder, wonder. . .
    WOW! We have Coyotes eating the neighborhood cats this week so our old girl gypsy is sequestered in the house this evening.

  20. #20
    Flashaholic* LowBat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,525

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    It looks like I'll finally have weekends off beginning next month so I should be able to make this.

  21. #21
    *Flashaholic* CLHC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    PNW|WA|USA
    Posts
    6,005

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Just curious about these gun shows here as of late, since I've ceased attending these shows for some years now. Do they still advertise for sale "black rifles", as they did in the past, or not. Maybe advertised for sale only to Fed, Gov, LE. Or do we have to wait another ten (10) years?

    Well, will have to see when I get there. . .
    LUX'Ottica

  22. #22
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,964

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    If you're referring to synthetic stocked rifles/shotguns, they're pretty common from several of the manufacturers now. Watch out for that Fed, LE only, stuff, it's the kind of line that tends to get some of the gun freaks adreneline pumping, and is often used by flea market sellers to induce a higher price. I haven't been there in a few years, but you can probably find them at Reed's. I know I see the synthetic stocked shotguns at places like Big 5 all the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by CHC
    Just curious about these gun shows here as of late, since I've ceased attending these shows for some years now. Do they still advertise for sale "black rifles", as they did in the past, or not. Maybe advertised for sale only to Fed, Gov, LE. Or do we have to wait another ten (10) years?

    Well, will have to see when I get there. . .

  23. #23
    *Flashaholic* CLHC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    PNW|WA|USA
    Posts
    6,005

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    More of in line with what I used to have and which my brother now has for his line of work, except that he has a Class III and is BATF, NFA licensed/approved in regards to the following: Colt's Mfg., H & K, Sig, and Steyr. I'm more in line with legal "civilian versions" of said types. But I believe that Cali-Fornia listed them as being on the "banned" list of "assault rifles." Oh well. . .
    LUX'Ottica

  24. #24
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,964

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Yup, you're right. Not in this state.


    Quote Originally Posted by CHC
    More of in line with what I used to have and which my brother now has for his line of work, except that he has a Class III and is BATF, NFA licensed/approved in regards to the following: Colt's Mfg., H & K, Sig, and Steyr. I'm more in line with legal "civilian versions" of said types. But I believe that Cali-Fornia listed them as being on the "banned" list of "assault rifles." Oh well. . .

  25. #25
    Flashaholic* JimH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,716

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Just a reminder to mark your calendars.
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

    The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

  26. #26
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,017

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    This sounds cool, but as usual, I don't have transportation. Does anyone know of public transportation that could get there out of downtown San Francisco? This would be the best option for me since I might have to work at 4:00 pm that afternoon- it would be a short but sweet trip.

    Also, if anyone is leaving from SF and wouldn't mind carpooling and sharing the cost of gas, I'd possibly be game for that too.

  27. #27
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,964

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Caltrain goes from 4th & Townsend in the City and stops at around Capitol (actually Fehren) and Monterey Highway (maybe Tamien Station on weekends.) Perhaps someone could pick you up there and drive you down to the fairgrounds? It's about a 5 minute drive.
    Better check their weekend schedule though as it does differ.

    Quote Originally Posted by Solstice
    Does anyone know of public transportation that could get there out of downtown San Francisco? This would be the best option for me since I might have to work at 4:00 pm that afternoon- it would be a short but sweet trip.

    Also, if anyone is leaving from SF and wouldn't mind carpooling and sharing the cost of gas, I'd possibly be game for that too.

  28. #28
    Flashaholic* LowBat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,525

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    JimH: I have it marked and I'll be attending.

    Solstice: Perhaps CalTrain from SF to SJ (Tamien Station) and one of us can give you a ride from the train station.

    EDIT: Brighteyez you beat me to it by 1 minute!

  29. #29
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,017

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Brighteyez and LowBat- Thanks very much for the info- I'll look into the logistics. Would it perhaps be possible to walk from the station to the fairgrounds? I'd hate to inconvenience someone, even if it's just a 5 minute ride (a 20-30 minute walk is no problem as long as I don't have to cross any major highways).

  30. #30
    Flashaholic* LowBat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,525

    Default Re: Bay area CPF get together and shopping spree

    Quote Originally Posted by Solstice
    Brighteyez and LowBat- Thanks very much for the info- I'll look into the logistics. Would it perhaps be possible to walk from the station to the fairgrounds? I'd hate to inconvenience someone, even if it's just a 5 minute ride (a 20-30 minute walk is no problem as long as I don't have to cross any major highways).
    The Tamien Station will put you out at Lick Avenue and Floyd Street. The entrance to the fairgrounds is at Tully Road and S. 7th Street. It's about a 2 mile walk. Take a look at Google maps and print it out for reference would be my suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •