DX.com

Thread: Tips Shipping 70 pounds for only $4.05? YES YOU CAN

*Flashaholic*

Default Tips Shipping 70 pounds for only $4.60? YES YOU CAN

Shipping 70 pounds for only $4.60? YES YOU CAN.

"We all have used that small and medium Priority Mail box, the ones about the size of a video tape box. By now, you should be shipping from your ebay sold page by generating your label with free delivery confirmation and paying for it through Paypal. Not standing in line at the post office and paying extra for it.

The post office charges you by weight. But hold on! Did you know that you can fit either of those boxes into a Flat Rate Envelope for only $4.60! Yes you can, just pinch the lower corners of the envelope and the box will slip right in. Don't let the Post office tellers try to stop you. The DMM (domestic mail manual) has only 1 restriction, the primary sealing of the envelope must be made with the adhesive strip on the envelope, and YES you may add more tape to insure it does not pop open. Some tellers say only 1 piece of tape? How long of a piece? Three feet?"

http://reviews.ebay.com/TIPS-SHIPPIN...00000000083666

Default Re: Tips Shipping 70 pounds for only $4.05? YES YOU CAN

Thanks for posting that cy! Always looking for shipping education!
    -"Must control self"-

Flashaholic

Uh... perfect for shipping a 20x20x4cm Tungsten bar.

Flashaholic*

Wow! That's a great tip for eBay sellers. Charge the buyer $30 or even more, for shipping and then just pay $4.05, and pay nothing for shipping materials because you're using the USPS shipping materials. Great tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Brighteyez
    Wow! That's a great tip for eBay sellers. Charge the buyer $30 or even more, for shipping and then just pay $4.05, and pay nothing for shipping materials because you're using the USPS shipping materials. Great tip!
    Good point.

Just a quick tidbit: GPM Flat rate envelopes do have a weight restriction of 4lbs, IIRC.

For larger objects that don't fit into a flat rate Priority Envelope, there are flat rate boxes, for less than $10.

*Flashaholic*

need to check validity of this statement...

"no customs needed if under 1lbs for GPM"

"Don't forget the Flat Rate Global Priority Mail envelope for international shipping. Weight limit is 4 pounds. Use the Priority Mail small boxes for the item and put it in the international envelope. If it weighs less than 1 pound, you don't even have to put a customs declaration on it!"

Quote Originally Posted by cy
    need to check validity of this statement...

"no customs needed if under 1lbs for GPM"

"Don't forget the Flat Rate Global Priority Mail envelope for international shipping. Weight limit is 4 pounds. Use the Priority Mail small boxes for the item and put it in the international envelope. If it weighs less than 1 pound, you don't even have to put a customs declaration on it!"
    I've got that one covered...I asked about it at the PO. They (reluctantly) said that a customs declaration is not needed by the USPS, but may hold up the package on the other end in the destination country if it does not have one.

Whether that is accurate information or not, I have no idea. That's just what the clerk at the PO said. I originally did not have a customs form on a < 1-pound GPM item and they told me to put one on it...and I pointed out on the GPM mailer itself that said it wasn't required...they said, "Well...you're right, but..." and then the above...

JM-99

*Flashaholic*

just spent 30 minutes with usps postal help desk to get to correct usps customs form web url. USPS site is very_user unfriendly.

this can only be accessed with IE: http://webapps.usps.com/customsforms/#
    click on yellow bar "need help picking a form"

will pull up documention verifying this information:

no customs forms will be needed if items is non-dutiable and under 16 oz.
    usps defination of non-dutiable is value under $400 and weight under 16 oz.

according to form below, this is valid for all countries.
    Print form to take with you, if postal clerk gives you any trouble.
    ----------------------------------------------

Global Priority Mail (GPM) items, airmail letter-post items, and economy letter-post items that:
    Weigh less than 16 ounces and do not have potentially dutiable contents. Weigh 16 ounces or more, do not have potentially dutiable contents, and are entered by a known mailer.

Quote Originally Posted by cy
    no customs forms will be needed if items is non-dutiable and under 16 oz.
    usps defination of non-dutiable is value under $400 and weight under 16 oz.

according to form below, this is valid for all countries.
    Thanks for checking, CY. They've always told me the form is required if the contents are not documents. Now I can cite their own website.

What does "potentially dutiable contents" mean? I think they mentioned something about only documents didn't need a customs form when I was there also...and that CD's didn't count, even if they just contained documentation.

I hate going to the post office...I suppose I'll print it out and take it next time too. But they do seem to like to bully you into affixing the form. I'm not sure if it's a power thing...or ignorance or what. They literally did tell me it could get held up in the destination country if it does not have a customs form attached. Go figure.

JM-99

*Flashaholic*

according to usps guideline verbally given to me: (should have asked for verifing document)

item has to be under $400 value and weight less than 16 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmaster
    What does "potentially dutiable contents" mean? 9

Just a FYI, the local SJ postal office here have recently been turning down more and more of these packages ship in this format. The clerk will refuse to stamp (intl) your package and make you ship it by weight.

You probably have to go to several different office and YMMV.

If you want to try this route, I recommend reinforcing the envelop from the inside using several pieces of 3M tape.

Good luck everyone.

*Flashaholic*

if you take along documentation backing up the regulations.

don't see how any postal clerk could turn down a package. they are real sticklers for following regulations. just there are so many of them, it's hard to know them all. usps clerks are probably doing what's safe without looking the actual regulation.

took me 30 minutes with usps help desk to find this information out. no way your local postal clerk will go to this much trouble. they will say.... next...

guess I'll find out on next intl shipment.

I've got that one covered...I asked about it at the PO. They (reluctantly) said that a customs declaration is not needed by the USPS, but may hold up the package on the other end in the destination country if it does not have one.
    This is what will happen if it is missing:
    The package will most likely be opened looking for a invoice/proforma invoice if they believe the package was shipped from a business.
    If invoice not found (or package not opened) I will get a letter from the custom office that they need documentation of what I paid. This may not always be easy to come up with when you have only sent a paypal.
    All this makes the package arrive very late.
    Packages also arrives much faster if a low value is written on the custom form (below $30).

Sigbjoern

Flashaholic*
    Live: Paramaribo, Suriname, South America / Study: Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Nice find !!

There is also a flat-rate box available. I think it's around $7-ish.

Flashaholic*

I think you missed the point of the eBay article (or just another eBay hustle that someone is trying). The point that they're expressing is to put the flat-rate box into the flat rate envelope and pay the lower envelope flat rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Trashman
    There is also a flat-rate box available. I think it's around $7-ish.

Flashaholic*

Haha! That's a funny one! Looks like there's a postal clerk that is being nice and giving you just enough rope to hang yourself

You're right, the Postal Service does not require a customs declaration, no postal agency in the world requires a customs declaration. It's the customs agency in the country of destination that requires the customs declaration. While the information that the postal employee "reluctantly" gave you is 100% accurate to a tee, I suspect that you may have gotten exactly what you asked for and nothing more.

Now if you ship it without a customs declaration and it is rejected at the country of destination, you may never see the parcel again because you never guaranteed return postage (which would be on the customs declaration ) and the package should, by policy, be destroyed. Anyway, I guess you could say that getting delayed at the destination could have been a bit of an understatement.

Actually I think there are postal employees that are members of this site, though I don't know if they work the retail end. If they are, perhaps they could chime in if you guys don't attack them.

Flashaholic*

You could ask for a supervisor and ask them to show you where it says you can't send it at the flat rate envelope option. I believe the reference for International is Pub 42. If they give you flak at the GPO, try the one on Meredian, they still seem to have some administrative staffing there.

Quote Originally Posted by modamag
    Just a FYI, the local SJ postal office here have recently been turning down more and more of these packages ship in this format. The clerk will refuse to stamp (intl) your package and make you ship it by weight.

You probably have to go to several different office and YMMV.

If you want to try this route, I recommend reinforcing the envelop from the inside using several pieces of 3M tape.

Good luck everyone.

Envelopes
    It says you can use tape to secure the flap.

Customs forms (click on 'forms usage')
    Under 16oz documents only, not goods.

Country rules

Domestic Mail Manual

International Mail Manual
    Last edited by ksbman; 08-22-2006 at 06:30 PM.
    Keith

A light on the shelf is a light in need, but a light in the hand is a light indeed. - PocketBeam

*Flashaholic*

alright! ksbman, the authority on shipping overseas is here....

looks like no customs forms is too good to be true...
    ship without one at your own risk...

looks like it's back to the same old customs forms hassles when shipping intnl

My post office is very picky about the tape used to close the envelope. They have even charged me postage due for packages received if it used more than one piece of tape. What I do is glue the box inside the envelope so if the flap does open the box won't come out.
    Last edited by farmall; 08-22-2006 at 06:29 PM.

[QUOTE=Brighteyez]Wow! That's a great tip for eBay sellers. Charge the buyer $30 or even more, for shipping and then just pay $4.05,/QUOTE]

I have had sellers do this to me and it really hacks me off when they screw me for shipping like that.

Flashaholic

what would be 70lbs that you would be able to fit...mercury???..sure everyone at the postoffice will love you for that.

think i will continue to float on lead baloons

Towards the end of last year the USPS was saying no tape was allowed on their envelopes. The clerks told me it was the USPS's way of making you use the more expensive boxes.

I would use small pieces of tape over the ends of the tear off strips, and the would let that pass.

But, it looks like the rules have changed again.

231.2 Allowable Contents (IMM)
    All items which may be sent as letter-post mail (see 241.1) are accepted in Global Priority Mail, provided that the contents are mailable and fit securely in the envelope or box. Items must fit comfortably within the envelope or box without distorting or bursting the container. Do not use excessive tape to keep the envelope or box from bursting. Use only one piece of tape to secure the flap.

And the link in my last post for DMM.
    Keith

A light on the shelf is a light in need, but a light in the hand is a light indeed. - PocketBeam