DSD Charger brain transplant

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't like the way my DSD charger terminated the charge cycle so I gave it a little surgery.

I used the LTC4054 chip from Linear Tech (same chip that is in AWR's Nano charger). Since the DSD will accept different cell sizes, I wanted to be able to vary the charge rate. I etched a board to allow 4 different charge currents, although, with the switches I had on hand, I only implemented it with 3 charge rates (approx 100, 300 and 500mA). This allows for charging cells down to the 10280 size.

The LTC4054 is a CC/CV charger and terminates the charge when the charge current drops to c/10. The switch in the pic has 3 positions to select the charge rate. The LED flashes when power is applied with no cell, is on steady during the charge cycle and goes out when the charge is complete.

Before pic

After Pics

Thanks for lookin'

Paul

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Tom, it was a fun evening project. (Even after forgetting to print the mirror image of the resist patch and having to re-etch another board :ohgeez: ).

I used the toner transfer system - great for making protos.

Paul

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I read the other thread about all the problems with the DSD and PS, and would love to do this with the three I have, but am not sure of your details to be able to do it myself. Any chance of noobifying what you did?

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
just a quick comment, slightley off the subject.

I got one of those cheap Chinese RC123 charger, it would only charge to 3.97volts.

I opened it up to find a trimmer, so I adjusted it.

It now charges to 4.22volts every time.

It`s amazing how much extra power is between 3.97-4.22volts.

regards.

HiltiHome

Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:
just a quick comment, slightley off the subject.

I got one of those cheap Chinese RC123 charger, it would only charge to 3.97volts.
I opened it up to find a trimmer, so I adjusted it.
It now charges to 4.22volts every time..
There is no trimmer in DSD charger...

TinderBox (UK) said:
...It`s amazing how much extra power is between 3.97-4.22volts..
0,1V equals 10% capacity

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
I read the other thread about all the problems with the DSD and PS, and would love to do this with the three I have, but am not sure of your details to be able to do it myself. Any chance of noobifying what you did?

The thing to remember is that this chip is running in linear mode. That means that the power that doesn't go into charging the battery gets dissipated as heat in the switcher chip. So it is important to match the power supply to the charge circuit. I used one of a couple of surplus 5V regulated power supplies that I picked up surplus for a couple of bucks each. I added a dropping diode to bring the voltage down another few tenths of a volt before it hit the charger chip.

I pretty well used the circuit from the data sheet and added a few resistors in parallel to the current set resistor so I could change charging currents. I etched the board myself, but you could purchase a nano board from Andrewwynn. They are much smaller to work with.

Sorry, I guess this doesn't noobify it too much.

Paul

Tacfolder

Newly Enlightened
Could one put the electronics from an HDS charger inside the DSD Charging cradle, "robbing the cradle", as it were? (I know, I know, :awman: I couldn't help it :grin2: ). I use one charger to charge the battery for my EDC B42 XR GT, and the other to charge the 17670 for my SF 6P with 3W Led module. I am also building an ROP/LE and I would like to just use one charger setup for the different batteries. Just a question.:dedhorse:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
This brings up a blast from the past for me. Here's my home brew two position charger using the same LT4054 chip that I built three years ago and it's still serving me very well.

LTC_CHARGER.jpg

Didn't have a suitable holder for the cells so I used a Pila charger to test it:

LTC_CHARGER2.jpg

The LTC4054 is a great "economy" charger.

NextLight

Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:
SNIP...

It`s amazing how much extra power is between 3.97-4.22volts.

regards.

Gain 25% in capacity, but loose ~50% in cycle life and cell cycle lifetime.

Nice work Chimo and Tinderbox both. FWIW, I like ~4.22V charge cutoff myself. My DSD is seems to be drifting downwards in cutoff voltage over time. As HiltiHome noted, there is no adjustment in the stock DSD.

And even further OT, my older cells are exhibiting some voltage depression; After 24 hours rest, they are ~4.05V, after charger cutoff at 4.17V.

Better smarter chargers get my vote, but a Li-Ion charger is a bit scary for my modding tasts. Making a mistake can be very dangerous.

NetKidz

Enlightened
Hi Paul,

Sorry. Borrow your idea for PCB layout. I didn't do the layout job or etch a PCB before. :ohgeez:

My soldering work is poor, here it goes.

276140008_d803def78a.jpg

The 3 resistors on the up right corner were used by slide switch at first, but not used now. If I need more charging current, I need more resisters and more wires. The selector switch is too big to fit in DSD case.

I use a DIP switch to do the job.
276140010_7527663172.jpg

Sw 1 OFF would make the Iprog open to ground and cut of the charging. The resistors in series are 1.5k, 1.5k and 3.9k. 1&2 ON would get 1.5k, 1&3 ON 3K and 1&4 ON 6.9k. The charging current are about 660, 330 and 145mA.

Thanks for viewing. :)