Can someone please help!

bladegunner

Newly Enlightened
I've got a "supposed" 12mcp torch using a 12v 100w H4 bulb, it looks similar to the Thor ones I've read about on here, but this is called HV Professional, it has a extra 12v DC cigarette style socket on the opposite side of the switches for charging phones etc and also has twin fluorescent Tubes at the back covering the battery panel it is distributed by Costco Wholesale UK.

I've up rated the thin strands of wire inside to 2mm cable and i did the "boost mod" so High and low beam would like up, it was working perfectly.

But I wanted more so I bought a 130w bulb which turned up this morning.

Well I came down stairs and seen a parcel, WHEY my new bulb, so still have asleep and started fitting the bulb. Wow is was brighter.

So I though I would try the boost switch I added and pop sound and nothing would work, I reconnected the boost switch wrong after changing the bulb, I know I'm an idiot, common to high. This point I woke up fully and made a lot of BLEEP words.

I've stripped it down and there is only 1 IN4001 diode and 2.2k resistor, so having loads of these I changed them both to be safe.

Still nothing, I have voltage going to the high and low beam, but nothing from the common, so I tried using the amp meter for the ground and wow its so bright. I could permanently wire the common to neg but that would mean the torch would switch on while charging which it shouldn't do and didn't do before. The tracks are fine; I've traced them all out to make sure.

The common to the bulb goes to the charging socket on a middle pin (there is 3 pins) 2 beep out as pos and neg, 3rd pin? I've no idea, but there is no where else for the common to come from but this pin.

I'm thinking the 3 pin disconnects when the charger is plugged in maybe.

I've spent all day on it now and head is sore trying to figure it out, i don't really like asking people things like this as I like to learn it myself, then I've learned something but well......

If someone would be so kind to help me I will call my next child after them, my baby is broke and needs fixing..

Thanks in advance

Matt

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Wow. Sorry to hear about your quandry. I don't know much about this, and am sure that someone here will be more than willing to help you out.

The problem I once had was with my Costco HID. I was assisted by a fellow CPF member regarding changing out the battery in it. That was it on my part.

Hope you get yours working soon enough.

bladegunner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply CNC.

I've think the problem is with the DC charging socket, I've managed to find them at Maplin Electronics and the third pin is a breaker pin, so I presume this breaks the NEG when its charging, thus not allowing the light to be turned on.

I've never used a DC socket with breaker pin so didn't know they existed and with this on being fried I couldn't figure it out.

So I'm off to Maplin Today :)