how to measure laser power with a meter

Lang

Newly Enlightened

What is the standard method for testing laser pointer power using power meters?

Just bought a new power meter that test 532nm lasers from of powers ranging from 0.1mW to 200mW.

I know you measure minimum, peak and average over various times. What is the standard accepted method for using power meters?

To make comparisons, there should be a uniform testing method. Can some one tell me what it is?

Cheers

Athoul

Enlightened
Assuming you have it setup correctly and calibrated to the wavelength you intend to measure, it's pretty straight forward, but a few things to keep in mind. First you need to make sure the entire point of impact dot is on the sensor, I guess this is obvious but I've seen people do it wrong. Secondly you should be a few feet away and you also don't want the dot being focused on the sensor (can cause damage). Just running through the basics..

As for taking measurments, with a digital meter I take them every 10 seconds (LaserCheck), or at least every 3 seconds (other digital meters). With an analog meter (I like these better), the needle will just move back and forth as long as the laser is actively on the sensor.