LCD or PLASMA

Vbeez

Enlightened
Guys,
I want to buy a new tv set, which one is better ? LCD or PLASMA ?
I read an article that LCD is good for more static picture (computer monitor) and PLASMA si good for dynamic picture (TV), is that true ? What are the pro and cons for both system ? Thanks.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Another vote for DLP for a few reasons:

1) It doesn't suffer from burn-in like plasmas do.

2) It doesn't have the weird lateral motion artifacts that plasmas do.

3) It has faster response time than LCDs do.

4) It has a wide viewing angle.

5) If the light source goes out, it's just a light bulb (usually halogen) and it's user-replaceable.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
When I was shopping for a new TV, I chose plasma after weighing pros and cons. The major pro for plasma was viewing angle. I needed to see the screen when in the kitchen or grabbing a beer from the fridge. I looked at LCDs and projection wide screens and the picture was horrible from the side.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started with a Samsung DLP which was a total nightmare. I managed to have it traded back in for my rear projection Sony kdfe-50a10 LCD, which is incredible.

You can read about this TV at AVS forums listed above.

Kristofg

Enlightened
I'm currently using an LCD, Plasma and front Projector system at home and each has advantages and disadvantages. I've experimented with a few rear projection systems in the shops before buying the others and found none of them to be any good (then again, almost none are offered over here, so I only got a look at three models). This is just the result from my own systems, other systems may offer better performance (I was on a limited budget)

*Rear projection systems (€1000)
-The image quality up close is far worse than LCD or Plasma. (fuzzy)
-The light output is horrible when used in daylight conditions (next to large windows)
-Expensive lamp to be replaced every 2000 hours
+ great viewing angle
+ they are cheap for a big sized screen.

*front projection system (€1000)
-expensive lamp to replace (about half the price of a new projector)
-noisy (a fan is used for the cooling)
-image quality up close is fuzzy due to the pixel size, but it is no problem since you watch large screens from a distance)
-needs a dark room to be effective
-color spectrum is somewhat limited when compared to plasma or LCD (only noticeable when placed next to eachother) and in videogames like Jack&daxter when light yellow coloured sand becomes white sand.
+cheap for huge size (I'm using a 4 metre screen)
+power consumption is pretty low considered screen size
+available without tuner so that any video signal can be decoded by whatever hardware you desire and is upgradeable when new formats come around.
+180° viewing angle

*Plasma systems (€2000)
-very few high-definition screens
-lifetime is supposed to be shorter than that of LCD by 1/2 but I've had no problems there.
+inexpensive when compared to LCD for large sizes
+great representation of black (try it in a dark room, black is really black)
+180° viewing angle
+great color representation
+available without tuner so that any video signal can be decoded by whatever hardware you desire and is upgradeable when new formats come around.

*LCD systems(€2000)
-A bit more expensive than plasma for large sizes
-Limited viewing angle (colors inverse when viewed from the sides)
-black tends to become grey when viewed in a dark room
+Available in high-definition
+Long lifetime (thoug mine developed a fault and began showing a purple vertical line (was repaired under warranty)
+great color representation

Personal conclusion, front projection can be used for cinema in a dark room.
Both Plasma and LCD are great everyday TV, especially when coupled with time-shifting external tuner. Don't spend too much money on special filters and effects like interpolation as these can make the image blurry when moving and unnatural with sharp edges when it stands still. But then again, this is a matter of personal taste and it is best to go into a shop where different models are displayed and just watch them. Try looking at the screens from the sides and when turned 90° to them so you can see them from the side of your eyes. In that position flicker becomes noticeable on some screens.

Look for component input (usually blue, red, green) for the screens as well, this is really important if you want to use them for DVD or games.

You might want to invest a little in a surround system with video switching capabilites to make your tv handle all different video formats (cable tv, satellite, playstation/xbox, DVD, Video, harddisk recorder,...) Yamaha and Sony do some sets that offer good value for money.

COMMANDR

Enlightened
DLP for sure. Best bang for the buck. I have had a Samsung 50inch DLP of about 2 1/2 years now and I love it. There are many advanages over LCD and Plasma tv's as are already posted in this tread and I agree with all of them. Very bright set and good contrast. The only down side is the xenon lamp you have to replace every 8k hours and alittle artifact from the color wheel called rainbows.

Cheers
Gary
smile.gif

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
I also have been debating my next tv purchase choices between the DLP, plasma, or LCD. Honestly, from what I have seen the LCD quality has gotten so good now that it seems to be the better bang for the buck. Prices have come down on all of the selections. The DLP is a great picture, but the size, and having to spend +/-300.00 on new bulbs seems crazy to me....not to mention if the mirrors need cleaning. I am still not convinced that plasma is worth the higher price.

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

I have been on this site as well that could be helpful.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a TV and went for Plasma. There are pros and cons for each type. Do some research in the correct location (AV forums) and you will see which type best suits your needs. Ensure the articles you read are not too out of date as many of the negative aspects harped upon in old articles have been improved/corrected with current models.

Consider:
-Where do you want to put it. (ambient light, room size)
-how picky are you about image accuracy?
-Viewing angles.
-Anticipated lifespan of today's electronics. (they will be superceded much more quickly than TVs of the past - you may want a new TV in 10 years)
-Do you have kids? Will they listen to instructions? Will they use the set to play video games?
-Input requirements (# of Component Video/HDMI/DVI)
-Viewing time per day (affects bulb replacement time - they are usually expensive)
-Quietness of the room (will the sound of DLP colour wheels motors or fans be beyond your acceptable threshold?)
-Start-up time of the TV.

For many of the types of sets you can prolong the life considerably by setting the TV up properly (brightness/contrast, etc...). Good luck in your quest.

Mad1

Enlightened
LCD's are getting better with colours, i.e. darker blacks and whiter whites.

I would go for an LCD as it's not got an exspensive bulb to blow.

For hassle free viewing. :)

Saying that I still use a CRT because in my opinion they are better than both. :)

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer LCD over plasma for several reasons
LCDs weigh a lot less than plasma
My kids will burn the plasma screen with video games etc, LCD won't
LCD uses less power than plasma

As far as DLP goes, I don't need the hassle since my family won't pay attention to the on time. Hopefully OLED will be coming out soon so it will be even lighter, brighter and use less energy than LCD.

For now, my 1989 Panasonic 29" multisystem TV is still kicking along but it will be replaced next year once I return to the states.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
The price on LCD's is coming down too. I just bought a 37" LCD for $1000.
LCD's do actually have bulbs, I've replaced the one in laptops before so I figure a tv won't be too hard.

YAK-28

Enlightened
dlp gets my vote-got a dlp front projector for my 50th birthday from my wife, never seen a better picture on any tv, ever.. if you can deal with the low light room situation(got any small flashlights?), it's a stunning picture. the wife likes flashlighs too(guess i'll keep her around alittle longer).

lightrod

Enlightened
IMO, fundamentally LCD is a more solid technology capability wise, and with recent and on-going advancements, together with mass production bringing down prices a lot, it's definitely what I will get. Late this year? Next year?