Battery charger question

ifoxbox

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am looking for a charger that will charge Ni-Cd AA cells and Ni-Cd Sub C cells. Do they make a charger that will do both? Which one is the best/ least expensive?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am just starting to learn about different types of battery chargers.

Thanks in advance for any info.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ifoxbox,

In order to accommodate the sub C cells, I believe you may be limited to the various RC hobby chargers. I use the Schulze isl 6-330d R/S and it does a great job. You may also want to check out the Triton, or the Triton 2.

Tom

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox said:
Hello Ifoxbox,

In order to accommodate the sub C cells, I believe you may be limited to the various RC hobby chargers. I use the Schulze isl 6-330d R/S and it does a great job. You may also want to check out the Triton, or the Triton 2.

Tom
Tom:

How a MAHA C808M used with spacers for the Sub "C"????

ifoxbox

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! So, a charger that will charge C or D cells would not work for the Sub C cells?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
ifoxbox said:
Thanks! So, a charger that will charge C or D cells would not work for the Sub C cells?
The nominal voltage is the same, you just need a means to connect it and your better off if it can be done right inside the unit because of temperature sensors. Just how it rests in the cradle may affect the workings of the high temperature sensors though!

It's just like charging a RCR123 in a Li-Ion sizes for larger cells, just use a spacer to fit.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C Crane will charge them. I'm assuming the sub C is not a lot shorter than a AAA. I think it's the same length actually.

ifoxbox

Newly Enlightened
eluminator said:
The C Crane will charge them. I'm assuming the sub C is not a lot shorter than a AAA. I think it's the same length actually.

The Sub C cells are only about 1/4 inch shorter and a little bit fatter than AA cells. Where can I find a C Crane charger, and what price do they run?

Thanks!

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ifoxbox,

Eluminator's post got me thinking... I just popped some Sub C cells in my Vanson Speedy Box and they seem to be charging. The charge rate on the Vanson is not very high (500 mA or 700 mA depending on if it made contact on the AA or C contact) but it seems to be charging.

The Titanium version has a little higher charge currents and a longer safety timer (I think), so you may want to verify that and check it out.

At any rate, more choices.

Tom

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
ifoxbox said:
The Sub C cells are only about 1/4 inch shorter and a little bit fatter than AA cells. Where can I find a C Crane charger, and what price do they run?
Thanks!

This charger ought to do it just fine. The charger costs $40:
http://www.ccrane.com/more-categories/batteries-chargers/quickcharger-battery-charger.aspx

There are lots of opinions here about chargers, but this one is better than most, in my humble opinion.

If you are interested in why it's better, you might want to read the Saitek manual pdf. It describes a charger that looks different but it functions the same, except the CCrane doesn't charge 9volt batteries:
http://www.hypercon.net/~blisscomm/Pictures/CPF/Saitek_CCrane_charger/Saitek_SmartCharger.pdf

Latest posts