Surefire A2 Question

LawLight

Enlightened
Greetings all:

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question - feel free to move it if needed, but can anyone advise why Surefire changed from the 4 sided A2 to the rounded body? Anything other than just because they wanted to make a change?

Thanks,

Kev

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a rounded A2 and a flat sided L1. I like the round sided better because it just fits my hand better. From certain angles, the flat sided L1 looks too thin, and I fear the thin area in the middle of the flat may dent more easily. But I admit I haven't actually measured the distance across flats to see if it is thinner than the rounded walls.
I think the tube size used to make it (outer diameter of the starting tube) is smaller and requires less machining (less material removed in 3 vrs 4 places) for faster production, but I doubt that makes a very big cost difference.

Tikki

Newly Enlightened
I spoke with a (Dustin) at Surefire, about a month ago, who told me that it was actually more difficult to machine the smooth surfaces on the rounded model than it was to machine the flat surface on the old one. He called it a refinement.

Illum

Flashaholic
carrot said:
Me too.

(Okay, back to vacation! Don't expect me around for the next few days.)

what the @#$%?
all this time I thought your somewhere else...say Canton, Connecticut visiting wild carrot farms....

Chris201W

Enlightened
In my opinion, the square bodies version seems more "refined." Not sure why, I guess it's just personal preference. I've never seen a round one in person.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured my two different versions and the outer diameter is the same at about 22mm, so no smaller tube with the new design. The 4-flats is 18.5mm across flats, removing 1.75mm per cut, the 3-rounded flats removes 0.7mm.
The resulting thinnest wall is thicker in the new version.

marxs

Enlightened
i have one a2 question: does anyone know how to dissassemble the tailcap for cleaning? i cant seem to find any pics/instructions

greenLED

Flashaholic
js's A2 thread has instructions on how to do it. Part of it says you gotta break some part of it off, so I haven't done it. :eek:

marxs

Enlightened
ill need to go through that long discussion again. so there essentailly is no way to "clean" the contacts in the tailcap!? :ohgeez:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I use toothpicks wrapped in little bits of paper towel, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat, and... :green:

Somy Nex

Enlightened
the older A2s had a very tight fit for batteries and not much tolerance. this is especially true for the black limited editions (ymmv).

the newer round bodied A2s are said to have more tolerance adn some have even been able to fit rcr123s in them. again, ymmv. =P

LawLight

Enlightened
Yes, that's true. My new round bodied A2 has a very slight bit of space in the body so that the batteries rattle just a tiny bit when shaken if the tail cap is off. But if one uses rcr123s in them, would you not have to replace the lamp with a different one to handle the difference?

Kev

dragoman

Enlightened
Hi,

The A2 uses a voltage regulator, so the extra voltage from the rechargables should be okay......the light just might get a little hotter than normal from dissipating the extra heat.

You will not get longer runtimes using rechargables though.....

dragoman

Loomy

Enlightened
The more knurled surfaces the better, I say. That's one of the only things that annoys me about my U2 -- more than half of the body tube is flat. There is actually more knurling shaved off than was left on!

greenLED

Flashaholic
LawLight said:
But won't the rcr's overdrive the leds? I've read horror stories about A2 leds changing tint from constant overdriving.

Kev
Yes, they do. You'd have to change the resistors.