Clip for G2

Gunmetal

Newly Enlightened
Howdy folks, new member, but over the last few weeks I've used much information I've learned here in my quest for some decent lighting. :) Thanks!

Anyway, I recently purchased a Surefire G2 for use as an EDC "tactical" light (to go with my CCW). The price was a major factor, as I cannot afford/get away with spending huge amounts on individual lights at this time. :whistle:

The only thing I feel I am lacking with this light is a pocket clip. I asked the ClipDraw (www.clipdraw.com) guy if he could make one for G2/6P lights, and he said he wasn't interested because he is set up for high-volume machining. So, I'm back at square 1.

I just want a clip that will keep the bezel from sinking all the way into my back pocket, which is where I plan to carry the light. Now I'm wondering if something could be made out of those 3M "Command Strips." If I could find a usable metal clip, I could stick it to the side of the tube with the 'Strip.

Does anyone have any comments, advice, or suggestions? I realize this will never be as good as I'd get from light that came with a clip, but this is where I'm at now and I need to work with it. :hairpull:

Thanks!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Gunmetal and welcome at CPF:)

With your name I guess you can pick up a 2mm plate of stainless steel or titanium:whistle:

The second light from the right is a Inova X5 with a clip build by my own. It's easy to do, this one is made of titanium. Try it.

6Tinys.jpg

If you have questions feel free to ask.

Best regards

____
Tom

Bryan

Enlightened
Good idea, but kind of an eye sore in my opinion. But I prefer lower profile clips so it's less obvious.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bryan said:
Good idea, but kind of an eye sore in my opinion. But I prefer lower profile clips so it's less obvious.

Oh, I'm sorry about your eye score. I hope you don't need a medicine:grin2:.

It was my first clip so it was easyer for me to build it.
...obvious, in my opinion I like the look of the colored titanium much more then the common black of the light, so I would be happy the whole light would be made of colored titanium.

Best regards

____
Tom

schrenz

Enlightened
What about buying a HDS clip from Lighthound?
Only a few dollars and I think it's easy to srew it on the G2 tailcap.

Gunmetal

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to mention, I am looking for a clip solution that would not require drilling through the light and that would keep the light bezel-up in the pocket.
I don't think the HDS clip would meet these criteria.

I guess I am probably dead in the water until I can get a light with the clip built into the body.
:awman:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gunmetal said:
I forgot to mention, I am looking for a clip solution that would not require drilling through the light and that would keep the light bezel-up in the pocket.
I don't think the HDS clip would meet these criteria.

I guess I am probably dead in the water until I can get a light with the clip built into the body.
:awman:

You could build the 2 wings at the end of the clip longer, so they will envelop the complete body of the light, bend the ends to the outside, in every end one hole and fix the clip with a screw trough the holes of the clip.

Best regards

____
Tom

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a clip from a Benchmade knife onto my G2. Works pretty well.

It's for bezel up carry.

I found a thick piece of the barrel just where the "waffle iron" pattern starts, drilled three holes, screwed the clip in. The flat part of the clip didn't sit well on the round barrel, and the screws immediately stripped themselves. I took them out, put down a nice little patch of JB Weld, stuck the clip and screws on it, let it dry. Make sure, if you go all the way through the body into the metal sleeve, that the screws don't protrude into the battery area.

It's been going strong for at least 3 - 4 years that way.

Maybe I'll see if I can get a digital picture taken of it so you can see it. I know you said you don't want to drill into the light, but maybe it'll give you an idea.