Help with Green Leadlight... dimming and focus issues

heaton84

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I'm new to the forums. I have a question about my leadlight, which I bought and modded some time ago.

I noticed with my first leadlight that the laser would go "dim" after being on for a few seconds, even with fresh batteries. I thought the laser was defective, so I sent it back. The replacement exhibited the same behaviour. Is this normal behavior? (I modded the 2nd laser after verifying the same behaviour, and of course that didn't fix it).

Additionally, I recently noticed that my laser does not put out one beam, but two parallel beams when it goes dim. When viewed from one angle, there are two beams (like the double yellow lines down the middle of a road), and from 90 degrees either way it looks like one solid beam. This splitting is what is causing the dim behaviour I think.

Thanks

Josh

Last edited:

btcomm

Newly Enlightened
I notice the same dimming with my leadlight 105. I tested another 5 mw laser and it stays bright.

heaton84

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I know I'm not alone on this issue. Anyone know if this is fixable? I'm hoping I don't have a busted diode or something here.

wells05

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like the laser might be mode hopping. Try turning the pot down a bit and see if that helps. Might try a different set/type of batteries.

Edit:

Most greenies will have an initial spike in power, then stabalize (the 50 mW + lasers on ebay count the initial spike as the power of the laser - reputable sellers give average/stable power rating).

Last edited:

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have an atlas nova pointer, stock, never modded, it's about two years old, been careful with it, never dropped it, never been on for more than thirty seconds at a time,then i allow it to cool off for a couple of minutes, rarely use it, maybe twenty minutes of total on useage.

it is beginning to dim as soon as i turn it on, stays dim til i turn it off. replaced the batteries. what's up with that? old age? even if it's hardly used? or is twenty min. the life of a typical greenie pointer?