Red film and green lasers

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently went on a night hike, and I had red filters put over my lights. Later on, I noticed that this red film seems to block the beam of a green laser almost entirely - I'd say that perhaps 2-3% gets through. If I put the film in front of my eyes and shine a 50mW green at a white wall, I can see the dot, but quite faintly. If I hold the film in my hand and shine the laser at it, the beam is reflected, looking just as powerful as if it were shined directly.

Does anyone know if these would make good lenses for safety goggles?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
They're exactly what laser goggles are made of. My red nalgene bottle's polycarbonate does not allow passage of any green light either.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't people make their own goggles out of this stuff, then? And why are commercially available models so expensive? :confused:

nitekayak

Newly Enlightened
Oooo. I'd be a little careful. Higher quality laser goggles have multi-coatings that not only block the visible laser light, but also block IR. If you're sure the pointer has an IR filter, you're probably just fine. If not, the red film may actually make it more dangerous!

livetofall

Newly Enlightened
ive also noticed that the goggle sold by actual laser companies have variances and 532 is its own spec. nms covered are for instance 501-530, 532, then 545-625 this isnt exact,just making a point (you cant go back or youlose all you wrote..ihate that!) so for that to actuall cover the damaging effects of 532, i woulndt trust it. it might be of value if you were a mile away and someone flashed by you. I dont know lasers well, just making assumpions by what I have researched.

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
Toolkings seem inexpensive enough to me. For something like $15 you get a real laser goggle that will be safer than a piece of film in front of your eyes.

My humble opinion

Also, not all red colored films block green light.

wells05

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't red material "absorb" the green light? I would guess that if the film was exposed to a somewhat powerful laser for more than a few seconds, it would melt.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... It should absorb the green light, but in my "tests," it reflects it. Odd.

The Toolkings are meant to increase the visibility of red lasers, and they do that by blocking out other wavelengths. In a way, they're effective.