3D or 2D Maglite

DrifT3R

Enlightened
I am debating whether to get a 3d or 2d maglite. At first I wanted the 3D because of its nice size and the sense of security it gives me when holding it. However after running into these forums, I see that people prefer the 2D if using nimh AA betteries which is exactly what I want to do. I was just wondering what the run time would be running 6AAs in series with a 5 cell magnum star bulb (2500mah). I was also wondering if it is easy to convert theose 3aa to 1D adapter that Litemania sells so the cells are in parrallel. The light output is not a huge problem but a little more light would be nice. I am into th rc hobby so I was also wondering if i could use 2/3 cells or sub-cs. Please hep me make my decision.

Thanks in advance

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a search for "Mag85" or "ROP". In fact, I think there's a sticky about the ROP in the Incandescent subforum.

...In fact, that's where this thread should be.

DrifT3R

Enlightened
Thanks, but the main question I was asking is should I get a 2D or a 3D assuming I will run AAs. I only own a solitare at the moment. =[

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
DrifT3R said:
Thanks, but the main question I was asking is should I get a 2D or a 3D assuming I will run AAs. I only own a solitare at the moment. =[

Hello and welcome at CPF:)

It depends on the bulb or Led and batterie configuration you want to use. If you need more space for the batteries, take the 3D, if not take the 2D.

I took a 2D for my Trilux with a 8AA to 2D holder:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120198

Best regards

_____
Tom

DrifT3R

Enlightened
ok, the 2D sounds good. How much runtime should i expect from a 5cell Magnum star and 6 2500mah batteries? Btw, I don't have to change the lens or the switch do i?

Thanks for all this help.

Last edited:

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
My knowledge is limited but i am fairly sure you will not need to change anything. All you gotta do is put the bulb in and the batteries and thats it. As far as run time i would expect over 1.5 hours but that is a guess as i do not know how much current that bulb will draw. If the bulb draws 1A of current then in theory you should get 2.5 hours run time but in practice it won't be anywhere near that.

DrifT3R

Enlightened
ok sounds great. Looks like im set. I also hear the ROP on a lower power globe also does not need to be modified and provides 51 mins of runtime on 2300s. Can someone please confirm these two run times.

Thanks.

Albert Einstein apparantly said, "Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but nobody knows why. We have put together theory and practice: there's nothing that is working... and nobody knows why!" :grin2:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Both are fine, since I have them. But then again, I tend to lean towards using the Maglite in 2-D celled sized configuration. I'm running the Mag.11 setup, with modamag's 6AA to 2-D battery adapter (fivemega has his too) + Kiu Socket + litho123's stippled reflector #7. You can also get the Welch~Allyn WA011110 bulbs from him. There's also a Borofloat replacement glass readily available from either CPF members listed, or The Sandwich Shoppe (TheLEDGuy.Com) or FlashlightLens.Com among others.

Enjoy!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My favorite D M*g is a M*g85 (9AA WA01185 MC Slug FM Deep 2" SMO and MC Glass lense) built on a 3D.

My second fave is a 2D with 6AA MC SLUG MC Bulb M2 MOP and MC Glass lense.

I run 4 cell Krypton bulbs in a couple different 6AA lights and 6 cell K on 8AA, but the MC bulb on 6 in a LOP M2 reflector is nearly perfect blend of beam and brightness!

I understand there is a bulb at some Sears stores for a 6V lantern that are PR base and quite bright. And there are always ROP bulbs....

There is also the M*gcharger at about $100. It's better than any 2 or 3 cell M*g in several ways, and with a WA01160 is a pretty dang bright light!!!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
......but the MC bulb on 6 in a LOP M2 reflector is nearly perfect blend of beam and brightness!

If I understand you right, I could use my stock Magcharger bulb with 6xAA 1,2V nimh cells without burning out?

I ask this, because my stock akkus in my Magcharger are at the end of their lifetime soon, and I thought to build in a pack of 5xAA nimh cells. So if it will work with 6 ( enough space there), it should be brighter.:)

Will the stock charger work with 6 cells?

Thank you very much and best regards

____
Tom

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long John said:
If I understand you right, I could use my stock Magcharger bulb with 6xAA 1,2V nimh cells without burning out?

I ask this, because my stock akkus in my Magcharger are at the end of their lifetime soon, and I thought to build in a pack of 5xAA nimh cells. So if it will work with 6 ( enough space there), it should be brighter.:)

Will the stock charger work with 6 cells?

Thank you very much and best regards

____
Tom

:bump: It would be very kindly, when somebody with experiences about this could answer my question.

Thanks and best regards

____
Tom