Fox 40 or Jet Screamer whistle?

Bogie

Enlightened
I dont have any experince with the Fox 40 but have not herd any bad reviewes, but I do have a few Jet Screams that is VERRY LOUD & only gets louder the harded you blow. I have had buddy hear me over a mile away while hunting last year (testing)

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bogie said:
I dont have any experince with the Fox 40 but have not herd any bad reviewes, but I do have a few Jet Screams that is VERRY LOUD & only gets louder the harded you blow. I have had buddy hear me over a mile away while hunting last year (testing)

Great. I was wanting to get one that was somewhat keychain friendly so was leaning towards the Jet Scream.

leduk

Enlightened
For keyring get the mini version of the Fox40 and file off the vanes underneath. Still earsplittingly loud but lots smaller.

Cheers

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not familiar with the Jet, but I just bought a bunch of the Fox 40s as a favor for another CPFer out of the states and they're plenty loud. They claim 122 dB, louder than the larger Fox 40 Classic. I decided to get several myself as gifts, especially for my female family.

I was going to get them from CC with some other items, but the other items fell through, so I looked for them elsewhere for cheaper shipping and found them at Fox International in a two pack for $4.00 per whistle (7.95 / 2) in high vis yellow. They only have a short poly lanyard instead of a full lanyard which I didn't care about b/c I got some bead chain instead for use on a key chain. They weigh nothing and are a pretty slim profile.

Next time I order a SL 4AA Lux from Fox, I'll probably get another package or two. They're great little gifts and very thoughtful for those that you care about - could save a life or thwart a bad situation.

If you look for them, they're called Fox 40 Rescue Howler in a two pack. I did see them at ****'s locally for $10 or $12 a pack. I'm guessing that many boating/marine shops would carry them, too.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Both the Storm and the WindStorm (slightly smaller) are the loudest whistles I have ever heard. SWMBO and I both carry Windstorms and I have a Storm on my BOB.

Cliff

leduk

Enlightened
My goodness. What am I thinking? I mean, if this was a straight choice between two lights costing not-very-much somebody would soon chime in with .....

..... buy both.

Silly me.

Buy both.

Cheers

redcar

Enlightened
leduk said:
My goodness. What am I thinking? I mean, if this was a straight choice between two lights costing not-very-much somebody would soon chime in with .....

..... buy both.

Silly me.

Buy both.

Cheers

That's an irresponsible waste of money that I would not endure.

whistles.jpg

oops...

I've had a couple of the jet screams and have not found them to be that loud. Could be I got a couple of duds or they've improved them since I got mine. They also seem to take more air. I've got a pretty good set of lungs being a brass player, but thinking about the wife or being hypothermic or injured I prefer a whistle that is easier to blow.

My loudest ones to my ears are the Storm and Fox 40 Classic (not tried the other Fox's). Third in loudness and the easiest to blow is the Seron P38 (the two orange ones pictured in the upper right).

Redd

Raven

Enlightened
redcar, aren't those long whistles, at the bottom right, for dogs, and what's the green whistle, that's second from bottom right?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Raven said:
...what's the green whistle, that's second from bottom right?
Ditto that. I have the exact same one, but in orange. I also have some Marine Whistles from ITWNexus that are supposed to be loud.

dfred

Enlightened
kitelights said:
If you look for them, they're called Fox 40 Rescue Howler in a two pack. I did see them at ****'s locally for $10 or $12 a pack. I'm guessing that many boating/marine shops would carry them, too.

The Rescue Howler was designed for the AMK Survival Pak, but is also sold seperately by AMK. It is apparently sold by Foxtron themselves as the "Micro".

The AMK survival pak FAQ has some background info about this whistle... I grabbed a two-pack of these from basegear.com for $8, when ordering some other stuff. They're nice and slim and exceed USCG/SOLAS specs. Have one tethered to my PFD and I've used it a few times in anger :)poke:) on rivers; they do carry over water noise well.

They do look to be similar in size to the Jet Scream, but I don't have one to compare them to... I can't believe redcar doesn't have one in that photo!

Last edited:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same question, "which is louder", but for keychain size whistles. I have the Fox 40 Micro and the ACR WW-3. They have different tones (the Fox 40 seems more multi-tonal), but I can't tell which is louder.

Louder may not be the correct question. I guess, most effective at getting attention at a distance, and what that distance would be, would be more appropriate questions.

Edit:

duh2.gif
Just answered my own question. I should have read the article in the link above before posting my question.
ohgeez.gif

And, the winner is the Fox 40 Micro.

Last edited:

MicroE

Enlightened
I have two young boys, so I suggest buying lots of inexpensive whistles. They get lost a lot, but if you need one, you need one.
I have a Storm, but it takes a lot of air. I prefer the Fox mini for myself.

redcar

Enlightened
Raven said:
redcar, aren't those long whistles, at the bottom right, for dogs, and what's the green whistle, that's second from bottom right?

Raven\greenLED,

The long purple and gold whistles are very loud single note whistles. The long silver one beside them is a two note Bristish Police whistle, The Metropolitan, from (of course) merry ole England. The dog whistle I have is the long silver one below the yellow Fox 40 and to the left of the Glow-in-the-dark Fox 40. It has an adjustable knob on the bottom so you can adjust the frequency to match your dog. Hopefully he will respond to a high enough freq that you can't hear. I can hear it all the way up, but not nearly as loudly as when it is on a lower note.

The green whistle on the right is a SOLAS Approved ACME Tornado from England. Somewhat loud, but I prefer the Fox 40 or Storm. The Storm is louder and more directional but the Fox is pealess.

JimH,

The Fox 40 is a three note whistle. Most pealess are two or three notes in dissonance to create the warble. Pea whistles use a roatating ball to interrupt the air flow on a single note whistle to cause a flutter in the sound. I have had the pea freeze on me in cold weather when using the metal Acme Thunderer. The black one with the white attachments uses a wooden dowel to spin around and flutter. The attachments have holes on the end so you can cover none, one, or both to vary the pitch. It is made for percussion sections in bands or orchestras.

Good thread. Looks like I have another round of whistle buying to do.

Redd

p.s. sorry I was a little 'long winded'

LowWorm

Enlightened
Redd, you need to post your whistle knowledge over at edcforums.com if you haven't already...great collection you have there!

I found the Fox 40 micro to be quite loud (shrill), but with effort. My favorite for just pure sound and aesthetics is the Atwood whistle.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit Up,
My vote would go to the Fox 40.

LowWorm said:
I found the Fox 40 micro to be quite loud (shrill), but with effort.
LowWorm,
Your comment makes wonder what might be the best whistle for a survival situation if say I have a punctured lung, or I'm at 10,000 feet, or both? I have several whistles mentioned above that are loud enough to cause hearing damage, but most of them require low altitude and healthy lungs to be effective. Any thoughts on whistles that work well with very little air?

Last edited:

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I also carry this little beauty. Handmade by Peter Atwood out of SS and measures 2.5" long and .5" in diameter. Rated by the builder at 108 dB. It's not as loud as my Storm or WindStorm but it's much smaller and takes less air (and less room on your keychain)

atwoodwhistlevc1.jpg

Atwood Knife and Tool is : http://www.phlaunt.com/atwoodknives/ Should you want to check out his stuff.

Cliff