E2e vs. L4

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
Could someone tell me how the brightness of L4 compares to the E2e? Does anyone have any pictures that compare the brightness? Thanks!

marxs

Enlightened
since the L4 is a LED light it will appear much "whiter" than the e2e incan. the e2e will seem "yellow" in nature when compared to the L4 side by side. the L4 is a bright flood light with a larger hotspot compared the e2e. the e2e has more throw i would say though i personally dont own one.

check out seans site, he has nice pics of the lights your looking at:
http://members.aol.com/qn9513/myhomepage/index.html

SCblur

Enlightened
marxs summed it up pretty well. The E2e is 60 lumens, and the L4 is 100, although it might not seem much brighter when compared side by side because the L4 is a very floody beam. The E2e will have a brighter hotspot that can give it the apperance of being brighter than the L4. The L4 is great for close to medium tasks, and indoors lighting. I prefer the floody LED beams of the L4 and L2 when hiking, because it lights up the surrounding area so much more than a tight beam. Another thing to take into consideration is the superb regulation on the L4. It will give you near 100% light for a little over an hour, whereas the incan beam from the E2e will dim steadily as the batteries are depleted. That being said, I have both and love both. They serve different, and equally usefull roles to me.

Cheers.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to EDC an E2e, then got a KL4. Sure, the E2e has more throw, but "more" is relative. It's not a huge difference. Throw isn't the E2e's strong point, and if that's one of your criteria it's a poor choice. Large spot, and wide, bright spill. Hmmm. Sounds just like the L4, except the L4 maintains its brightness due to being regulated, and can run off rechargeables. No contest, IMO. After getting a KL4, I never carried the E2e again, and only used it for comparison beamshots a few times before getting rid of my lamp assemblies and the stock E2e head. My only complaint was that the L4 gets very hot in extended use.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Surefire E2e:

SurefireE2e.jpg

Surefire L4:

SurefireL4.jpg

marxs

Enlightened
now that is what i call a nice "clean" beamshot. you wouldnt happen to have any other lights lying around now would you :naughty:

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I completely agree with Owen. The E2e has a bit of an advantage in throw, but when you are inside the L4 wins hands down.

With it being impervious to shock, and able to use rechargables (I use pilas in mine) it is the one to get in my opinion :) .

Vinnie

Newly Enlightened
I have both and carry both at all times since I work at night. It seems the e2e does better when it is foggy out. I carry the e2e in my pocket and L4 in a holster. Both real nice

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I myself own both of the lights discussed here.

In the outdoors, for throw, the E2e owns the L4.

However, indoors the L4 is a truly impressive wall of light.

Being I am more often indoors, I greatly prefer my L4.

But they each have their own advantages and both are built as solid as a tank.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
The closest I've ever come to a tactical situation was trying to ID someone following me 30-40 yards behind. It was dark enough outside that the E2e did a fine job. I'm not sure my KL4 would have been as effective because the person would've blended in with the surroundings a little more. The E2e's beam has a decent hotspot - not as floody as some say - while the KL4 leans more towards the "wall of light".

Although the E2e will seem "yellow" by comparison, it offers better color rendition if/when that matters (my situation above). I think this is why some people complain about LED light "dissappearing" at night under HPS street lights. In other words, when there is some ambient light but you need more light 20 to 40 yards away, the E2e is the better choice.

I used my KL4 as a sort of work-light when laying hardwood floor in a closet. It was certainly bright enough, but it gets extremely hot if you leave it for a while. The E2e will as well, but the heat can slowly damage the emitter in the KL4. This doesn't concern most people, the damage isn't serious, but it is a factor for me. :)

Go with the E2e and don't be afraid to use it.

Jon

Last edited:

BigBaller

Enlightened
I've been using the KL4 outdoors alot lately and I actualy prefer it over any of my incans. If you think it performs well indoors then you should see how it does when its given room to open up, the flood/spread is incredible!
No other light I've used illuminates an area so well, with the L4 my peripheral vision is almost as good as in daylight, its literally like turning night into day because theres that wide degree of vision with no blindspots out of the corner of my eyes.
I found the perfect place for a beamshot from atop a hill, looking down, the L4 illuminates a 200x200' field real well, it doesnt show a whole lot of detail but I could easily pick out any movement or small figures within the entire area. If only I had a camera that can collect the light from that far away! I should note these accounts were taken with very little ambient lighting and well adapted night vision.
YMMV.. it depends on so many factors... I find a little moisture in the air is a good thing for an LED because the light disperses out a bit more giving a better area effect but theres a fine line between a hint and too much moisture that would drown out much of the light.
Maybe I just have good eyesight because I'm young but another interesting thing I noticed is that the softer LED tint preserves my eyesight better than an incan lightsource, so in essence less light allows me to see more because I'm using some of my own night adapted vision instead of relying completely on the flashlight to see everything.

Last edited:

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
Right now I actually own the E2e and I love it.... I am starting and EMT class and I am looking for another light that I can carry through training and eventually in the "field"... I imagine most of my needs will be close to medium ranges.... anything greater than that I will just grab one of the spotlights on the truck.... I just want something bright ( if possible brighter the my E2e) that will last around an hour.... If there is a light that would better suit me I am open to suggestions... I just dont want to spend more than $165.........

SCblur

Enlightened
You might look into a surefire L2. Great for close to medium range applications, given its very wide beam, and it has a high and low output that might be very useful for what you're doing. The levels on high and low are 100 and 15 respecively. It is rated to last about an hour on high, and 20 on low. Realistically, you can expect about 50 minutes on high vs. 10 hrs+ on low. There are also recharegeables available for the L2 from CPF member AW.

Good luck with the rest of your training.

skiersl9 said:
Right now I actually own the E2e and I love it.... I am starting and EMT class and I am looking for another light that I can carry through training and eventually in the "field"... I imagine most of my needs will be close to medium ranges.... anything greater than that I will just grab one of the spotlights on the truck.... I just want something bright ( if possible brighter the my E2e) that will last around an hour.... If there is a light that would better suit me I am open to suggestions... I just dont want to spend more than $165.........

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
skiersl9 said:
how about getting an l4 you can use pilas in it and if you need to get a mcgizmo two stage tailcap i know a lot of other EMT's here use the l4

good luck

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
I am confused.... I have read several threads now some of which highly reccomend using an LED light like the L4. However I have also read several threads saying that LED lights are terrible outside when there is ambient light... Which is true? I really like how you never have to change a bulb in LED lights and how they are regulated but am I still better off with an incan?