Foxfury Scout        

View Poll Results: Do you like the ProPoly Luxeons?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have the 4AA, and I like it.

186 69.92%
  • I have the 4AA, and I dislike it.

6 2.26%
  • I have the 3C, and I like it.

24 9.02%
  • I have the 3C, and I dislike it.

0 0%
  • I don't have either one.

69 25.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone DISlike the ProPoly Luxeons?

Default Does anyone DISlike the ProPoly Luxeons?

I can't remember ever seeing a negative comment about the Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeons, in either 4AA or 3C. I was wondering if anyone has had a rough time with either or both of these lights.

Default Re: Does anyone DISlike the ProPoly Luxeons?

You need to add "had" to your poll

The only thing I don't like is that I do not own one yet.

There have been a couple threads relating to switches failing and some other minor stuff, but that is going to happen with any light that is as extremely popular.

They definitely have become a benchmark standard.

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyurl.com/8zu5t

The 4AA unit is well-built, tough and is a real throw-monster for a Lux I. The only minor issue I have is that I find it a bit finicky to replace the AA cells. It certainly helps to do it at your desk with good lighting.

I have the SLPP4AALux and love it!! What a great light!! It was alot smaller than I actually thought it would be from looking at all the pics from online. Pleasant surprise it was!

got my mother one and she loves it!she has had it for a few months
    and is still on the same batts.

On adding "had" to the poll, I was thinking that people could choose "have one and liked it" or "have one and didn't like it," without having to specify when exactly they had it. Knowing how long people keep their ProPolys is important, but beyond the scope of this particular poll.

Changing the batteries is indeed much easier on a well-lit, flat surface, but fortunately, the battery life is so long (and useful) that my 4AA is still on its original set of batteries even though it was my first real flashlight. I've had it for several months already.

Things are looking up for the ProPoly! There have been zero negative responses so far...

Its a great light!! I find myself taking it into the house then back to my truck, and so on and so on, eventually i am going to get another one,.!!

I had one of the 4aa LUX models.

On the first set of new alkaline batteries, after a week of on and off use, three batteries measured at 1.45v and the fourth was dead flat.

On the second set of a different brand of new alkaline batteries, after 2 weeks of sitting on a shelf and intermittant use, three batteries measured at 1.5v and the fourth was dead flat.

On the third set of batteries, NiMH this time, the rear clicky started to act up.

I got great joy in the destructive disassembly of that particular light.

Quote Originally Posted by thezman
    I had one of the 4aa LUX models.

On the first set of new alkaline batteries, after a week of on and off use, three batteries measured at 1.45v and the fourth was dead flat.

On the second set of a different brand of new alkaline batteries, after 2 weeks of sitting on a shelf and intermittant use, three batteries measured at 1.5v and the fourth was dead flat.

On the third set of batteries, NiMH this time, the rear clicky started to act up.

Uh-oh - did you try to contact Streamlight? I've heard very good things about their warranty. From the multiple problems (batteries, clicky) and especially that issue with the batteries, it sounds like your light really was defective. I've not heard of the ProPoly doing that before!

I HAD A 4AA lux, it was a nice light one of the best for the money, but it didn't "feel right" in my hand, other the then ergonomics it is a nice light ill probably get another as a throw around light,and to give to non flashaholics to try and get them on the boat like i did my last one.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3
    Uh-oh - did you try to contact Streamlight?
    Negative. I didn't care for the beam on it and didn't want another one.

And I repeat.....
    Quote Originally Posted by thezman

I see! It sounds like we have our first negative on the ProPoly Lux! Um, yay? Vote, zman - we "need more input"!

I voted for ya.

Big -1

Enlightened

I like the light, but I too find it awkward to hold and to turn on in a comfortable way. I much prefer the switch on my 3AA 1 watt Streamlight. But the ProPoly rocks on power.Yea, I voted.

Flashaholic*

I've had my 4AA ProPoly Lux for about 3 months now, and never had a problem. Its still on it's first set of batteries.

I bought one for my brother and all he could say was ,"wow" when he first fired it up! The reaction of the unenlightened is great when they first try a Luxeon.

I'm amazed at how white the tint, and how well it throws, especially for a Luxeon, ( although the packaging states its a " super high-flux Luxeon, whatever that means). It performs right along side 3 watt LEDs, sometimes even better.

I think its an awesome light....

Quote Originally Posted by lightcrazed
    I like the light, but I too find it awkward to hold and to turn on in a comfortable way. I much prefer the switch on my 3AA 1 watt Streamlight. But the ProPoly rocks on power.Yea, I voted.
    I agree.

This is a great light for the money, a superb value, and a wonderful general utility light.

But, I hate the switch. The switch works great, but I hate that it's a 'tactical' switch.

Ruins this light for me to use as a carry light for walking outdoors. Wish it had something close to the UK 4AA series switch.

I got one from Brightguy that is pure white in tint, has an extremely tight spot, and is very bright! What a thrower. Only my 4C MagLite with an LED drop-in will out throw it. And not by a whole lot, I'd say. I ab-so-lute-ly love it! So much so, I wanted another one. I (my brother actually) found a local hi-end tool store that had two on the shelf. We bought em. Well, they ain't the same. Of those 2, one is purple, and the other is green in tint. And they are not as bright, not as tight, so consequently don't throw as far. If you don't compare them to the first one, other than tint, they're not bad. They're still nice flashlights. It's just that that first one from Brightguy is so assume!
    It has me wondering if it is execptional, or are the other ones the norm?
    If you don't have 2 to compare, you guy's will have a hard time answering that question, but at least, how's your tint? What are your thoughts?
    Edit: These are 4AA's.
    Last edited by Lite_me; 08-29-2006 at 12:19 AM.
    "People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

On my ProPoly Luxeon 4AA AND 3C:

The tint is perfect, the beam is perfect, the regulation is perfect, the runtime is perfect, the battery change could be better, there's no low stage, and the 3C needs a tube with 1.125" OD, 0.875" ID, 0.125" wall, and 0.3" length to tailstand.

I don't find them uncomfortable - once I switch one on, I can swing it around like my folding knife to get the ordinary non-tactical grip. I can also use the "tactical" (thumb on switch) grip, and then slide the light back so that I'm gripping the bezel. I find it comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lite_me
    It has me wondering if it is execptional, or are the other ones the norm?
    If you don't have 2 to compare, you guy's will have a hard time answering that question, but at least, how's your tint? What's your thoughts?
    I have had 4 of these lights at different times, and there is quite a bit of variability in brightness, beam shape, and tint.

My first purchase in 2005 included both the best and the worst samples that I've seen. One, which I still have, had a very bright and warm-tinted Luxeon and perfect focus. The other was greenish and very dim, with about half the output of the first one.

I bought two more this year. The tint and output here was more consistent this time. Both Luxeons were bright, and one was probably W0 while the other appeared to be X0. The beams, however, were not as tight as they could have been. I don't know if this fact is caused by sloppiness, or whether Streamlight has chosen to sacrifice a bit of throw to get a larger hotspot. Has anyone purchased a SL Propolymer 4AA recently and gotten a super-tight beam?
    Andrew

Like what Raven said in post #2. . .

I had a Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon, and unfortunately disappeared at work when I was using to drop test it off a 50' lift. It survived about (3) drops, mostly bezel first, and still worked!

Anyways, when I did have it, I was more than impressed with it for the money. Now I see that Fox International (Dealer's Corner) has them for $25.00+, so time for me to get another one.
    LUX'Ottica

Flashaholic*

They're mass produced, low cost items. There are some variations in manufacturing where some hotspots may be tighter than others. I received one that had a pretty tight spot; it didn't seem as usable as the ones that had the "normal" spot.

Quote Originally Posted by asdalton
    I don't know if this fact is caused by sloppiness, or whether Streamlight has chosen to sacrifice a bit of throw to get a larger hotspot. Has anyone purchased a SL Propolymer 4AA recently and gotten a super-tight beam?

Flashaholic*

I realize this is a personal preference but I would prefer a wider beam even if it sacrified throw.
    I live in a van down by the river

Evilgrin07 Re: Does anyone DISlike the ProPoly Luxeons?

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3
    ... the runtime is perfect...
    Does that mean it runs forever? Anything less is not perfect.

Though I acknowledge the merits of the ProPolly Lux 4AA, and have actually backed it as a light for many people, especially AA fans, I wouldn't buy one myself. For anyone that already has embraced CR123 powered lights and especially those with RCRs, there are worthy alternatives. I got one of the Nuwai TM115X 3W lights from Lighthound when they had them for $25. It was a great, not-so-well-known deal while Lighthound had them. Throw just about as good as the Propoly (2750 vrs 3000 - virtually unnoticeable difference), smaller, only two batteries (I don't like more than two), moderately adjustable/focusable beam with good spill, and here is the kicker: two output levels. Battery life is not as good, but the low level makes up for that by lasting much longer, which is all you need most of the time anyway. And just carry spares, they are easy to change.

Ha ha, Blind, very funny. I meant that the acceptability of the runtime is perfect. Six hours of such bright light on high-capacity NiMHs is excellent.

There are many other good lights, especially lithiums. As its own light, though (IMHO), it's excellent. As you said, it's very easy to recommend.

I'm quite fond of the SLPPL4AA, as it was my first real flashlight, so I'm probably biased in its favor.

Hey CHC - I remember reading that thread just after I got my ProPoly! I tell that story whenever I want to describe how tough that thing is.

It's also very affordable.

I like mine but have the curse of being able to find the faults in almost anything.

1) Tail switch is easily depressed and can come on in a backpack etc. (not a problem for me because I made a case for mine)

2) Head feels very big but, that is a consequece of the reflector which is what makes the light so good in the first place.

3) It is easy for the module to fall out or fall off of the body when replacing batteries. Practice is the only solution.

There's something else I can't remember at the moment.

Flashaholic
    Formerly KE7AYF

[QUOTE=yekim]The only thing I don't like is that I do not own one yet.QUOTE]

Same here, This will be the next full light I get.
    "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side" -ancient Chinese proverb

Mine came with a set of Energizer batteries. One of the cells died after 30min.

But what i really don't like, is the heavy purple tint one my particular light,
    most likely a *ya*

Bought one for my brother with a green *X1* tint.

Does anybody know how to swap the emitter?
    Last edited by HiltiHome; 08-29-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HiltiHome
    Mine came with a set of Energizer batteries. One of the cells died after 30min.
    Ah ha! That's the same problem that thezman had! Perhaps something useful will come of these corroborative reports.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast