JET I-AA MK-II or EDC Ultimate 60?

jernan001

Newly Enlightened
I feel the need to purchase a smaller EDC and I have narrowed my choices down to these two. They both seem very similar to me. Other than personal preference, what are the main differences between these two EDC's?

Last edited:

Roboholic

Enlightened
I have both lights. Both are very good. But for the money I love the MK-II. Med-low-high all work great. The strobe wants to put me into an epileptic fit (way to fast)
There are no adjustments like the U60, no where near as many options, and it will get warm on high using LiON batteries.
Still love both lights and I do not know what you need the light for but for $100 dif I like my MK-II
Rob

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The JET AA MK-II is a great light, but it differs from the HDS U60 in these ways:

- less light output (varies based on battery config)
- less throw
- not as well regulated
- three fixed output levels vs four adjustable levels
- a little longer and thinner
- about 1/2 the cost

The HDS has a other fancy features such momentary mode, auto-shutoff, SOS, strobe, etc. However these don't complicate the interface as they're "concealed" behind a unique combination of button presses. You could use the HDS your whole life and never know they are there.

If you can afford it I'd get the U60. It's currently on sale for $135. Otherwise get the Jet; it's a great light.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both lights and the above post pretty much tells it....between the two I would have to go with the U60, even though both are outstanding lights.

jernan001

Newly Enlightened
Just what I was looking for. Thanks guys. I guess I'll get both! Well, first one then the other. lol

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U60GT is an amazing deal for $135 at BatteryStation. I can't remember hearing about anyone having problems with it. HDS's customer service is also very excellent. If your light purchases have a "waiting list," get the U60 first, as there has been debate as to its future availablity, because of new models (U85... :drool: ) being released "soon."

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overall, the HDS will be a brighter, more capable and intricately engineered light, but I say go with the Jet for the following reasons:

Cost- the U60s are being phased out and there are better things on the horizon, so it's approx $70 for the Jet and $130 for the HDS. Nuff said.

Ease of UI- the Jet is more intuitive (IMHO) and doesn't require as much clicking to get what you want.

Battery type- I prefer using AAs due to their cheaper and more common offline availablity. NiMH rechargables are much cheaper and safer than lithiums

And most importantly to me...SIZE/WEIGHT- the lights are almost the same length, but the Jet is MUCH thinner and lighter, making it more comfortable to pocket (next to a wallet for example) and more likely you will have it with you when you need it.

Overall, the Jet can do most of what the HDS can do under normal circumstances, but it comes in a smaller, lighter package that uses common batteries and costs half the price. It has the same terrific white beam, and an excellent finish.

The only reason I would go with the HDS is if you really need the extra lumens on "high" and already have a stockpile of CR123s or RCR123s. Obviously there are other advantages to the HDS (customizable levels, potentially much lower "low," thermal LED protection, rocksolid regulation, perhaps a more robust build quality/waterproofness), but for my money, the Jet is an excellent compromize EDC that does all I ask for. That said, I am curious to see what HDS will roll out with next, as they do make a superlative product.
Best of luck,
Jon

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I would pick JetII MKII:
Can run on any AA,very bright on lion.
Small size
Price $67
Really white beam
Really bright beam
Nice large spot with very good spill.

Both are great lights,cant really go wrong with either.

frisco

Enlightened
For those who have both..... Wouldn't the JetBeam MKll be brighter on high than the U60 useing 14500 LiIon battery?

frisco