• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Solutions Rainier

hivoltage

Enlightened
Who sells this light. Anybody have any feedback on it. I am looking for a nice single 123 battary light. Or any other suggestions would help too. I want bright with decent runtime, brighter being the more important. 2 stage would be nice but not necessary.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rainier is very impressively bright with a fresh battery. Regulation isn't flat (75% in 20 minutes, 50% at 40), so it's not as impressively bright after a little while, but even at 75% it's still pretty damn bright. It gets nice and hot pretty quickly with a fresh battery.

If you want an impressively bright light with longer runtime, look at a D(oug)Speck Fire~Fly III. Very bright, quite a bit smaller than the Rainier (which has a big head compared to the straight bodied FF3), plus it's multi-level so you can go to a lower mode for extended runtimes. IMO, even though the rainier beats it in brightness, the FF3 is more "impressive" because it's so much smaller.

Then of course there's the HDS EDC Ultimate 60. It won't be as bright as the Rainier or Fire~Fly III, but it's the undisputed genius of the flashlight world. And it's on sale right now.

hivoltage

Enlightened
I am waiting on the HDS 85!!!! Maybe I should just wait altogether for it. I already have a FF3 and you are right....it is a very nice light!!!!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
Regulation isn't flat (75% in 20 minutes, 50% at 40).

:huh2:

I was under the impression that the Rainier was basically the same as the Atlantic, but only available to CPF, originally. According to Quickbeam's review on Flashlightreviews.com it has a very flat, regulated runtime of about 2 and a half hours until it drops out of regulation.

Is the Rainier not as similar to the Atlantic as I thought. (I don't have either, so it is a question of true curiosity!) From the review it looks like a very cool light indeed and I have long been an admirer of the reviews from Quickbeam.

Somebody chime in please.

My only (now discontinued) Peak light is a 1AA 5Led brass torch whose name escapes me but is probably named after a mountain of some kind.

Be lucky...

PS - unless the Rainier is the same spec as the Mediterranean, which seems quite likely now.

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nyctophiliac said:
The Atlantic is a 1W lithium CR123A primary powered light. The Rainier/CPF Special is a 3W lithiuim-ion RCR123A rechargable powered light. It's like comparing a Honda Civic to a Dodge Viper. One's efficient/economy, the other's pure muscle.

The Mediterranean is also a 1W CR123A light, a bit brighter than the Atlantic at the cost of some runtime.

Look here and follow the link (with login and password) to the Rainier/CPF Special.

All 3 appear to have the same body/head, just different internals.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Peak Caribbean and have been really impressed with the brightness and runtime of this little jewel. It has the ability to get the most out of the 123 cells that other lights can no longer use. If you need something brighter then the HDS EDC Ultra 60 GT can be had at a substantial savings right now.(135.00 USD) Apparently HDS is about to introduce a new line of lights and is trying to help their dealers sell all of their current stock so that they don't get stuck with it later. This is a very impressive little light that was selling for twice that amount not even a year ago!!!!!!!!! I also hear that this is the last "Ultra" lights HDS is going to make. Exactly what that mean, I have no idea. We will just have to wait and see what they come out with hopefully in the not to distant future.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
The Atlantic is a 1W lithium CR123A primary powered light. The Rainier/CPF Special is a 3W lithiuim-ion RCR123A rechargable powered light. It's like comparing a Honda Civic to a Dodge Viper. One's efficient/economy, the other's pure muscle.

The Mediterranean is also a 1W CR123A light, a bit brighter than the Atlantic at the cost of some runtime.

Look here and follow the link (with login and password) to the Rainier/CPF Special.

All 3 appear to have the same body/head, just different internals.

Actually, the Mediterranean is a 1.5W (...an underdriven LuxIII) light. The Mediterranean is to the Carribean what the Atlantic is to the Glacier Bay. Atlantic...Glacier Bay with a larger bezel; Mediterranean...Carribean with a larger bezel. Atlantic and Glacier Bay use a LuxI, Mediterranean and Carribean use an underdriven LuxIII. The Rainier is the full production version of the Peak CPF Special that was sold last December; It's basically a direct drive version of the Mediterranean, using a LuxIII direct driven from a LIon to give full output.

PJD

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz...wow!

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.

PJD...my head hurts.

Note to self, curiosity leads to increased knowledge and much confusion. Not to mention emptier wallets!!

Be lucky....

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJD said:
Actually, the Mediterranean is a 1.5W (...an underdriven LuxIII) light. The Mediterranean is to the Carribean what the Atlantic is to the Glacier Bay. Atlantic...Glacier Bay with a larger bezel; Mediterranean...Carribean with a larger bezel. Atlantic and Glacier Bay use a LuxI, Mediterranean and Carribean use an underdriven LuxIII.
Ah, I was going by FLR's catagories. I have to wonder about the Mediterranean vs the Caribbean though; according to FLR, the Caribbean is quite a bit brighter despite having the smaller bezel/reflector.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Peak CPF 2005 Special, which is the same as the Peak Rainier except for the outside anodize color. The light is very bright, but it's main asset is its THROW. If you are looking for a fairly small light that has great throw, this is it. I love the fact that it runs on rechargable lithium batteries, although since they are protected, it does give shorter runtimes. As Quickbeam stated in his review, "This light Kicks A$$!"

All Peak lights have very good build quality.

To me the two minor drawbacks are well worth their tradeoffs:
1.) Head larger than body - necessary for the reflector which gives Great Throw.
2.) Short runtime [45 min - but it's rechargable] - necessary for high output w protected lithiums. Protected lithiums reduce the hassle of worrying about over-draining an unprotected rechargable and shortening its life or reducing its capacity or making it dangerous due to severe depletion.

Other single cell lights I have are Dorcy Super 1 Watt [great value, great tint] and Pelican M1 [ good output on RCR123 or CR123, I like the clicky right behind the head, like the build quality, and it can tailstand]

h_nu

Enlightened
Nyctophiliac, I think your brass 5 LED model is the Kilimanjaro. Mine is HA. The newer AA lights have eclipsed the Kilimanjaro. I never saw a review of it but guess it's strength may be runtime since it's not very bright.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
h_nu - yep, that sounds right. It's always seemed plenty bright to me for around the house stuff. Gets quite warm, though.Also the brightness diminishes reasonably quickly at the start. No measurement data but to my eyes a constant 15-20 mins and you notice the drop, and the heat.
I haven't seen mine around for about a month or so, but my son (aged 3) is always helping himself to my torches so I expect it'll turn up at the bottom of a toy box at some stage.
I found it was quite heavy too! That's brass torches for you!

Be lucky...