Surefire L4 - Rechargeable 3.0v cr123a's

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried 3.0v Rechargeable CR123a's in a Surefire L4? I really dont care to blow my torch but would certainly like an alternative for power. From what i've read it seems under load these batteries are regulated to 3.0v and would not fry my light. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

VWTim

Enlightened
That's questionable, as I hear a lot of the 3V cells only regulate to 3V after initial draw. Just pick up a 17670 from AW and you'll be set and safe.

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
Also for the Moderators, I placed this thread in general due to the fact it is kinda a question regarding two things, The flashlight itself, and Batteries. I figured one post was better than two.

It appears that AW is out of those batt's right now, I will continue to monitor his stock. As of now I have 6 3.0v Rechargeable Cr123's on the way. Now i just need to find the Cojones to put them in my flashlight.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Weskix and welcome at CPF:)

Like the others mentioned, I wouldn't put them in your L4. Go with one 17670.

I've read the RCR3,0 V (I don't own them) will come up to 3,7V out of the charger and at some lights of members the led fryd.

Also the capacity of one 17670 is more, about one hour regulated output.

You have ordered 6 of the 3,0 Volts, hmmmm, now it's time for a custom light;)

Best regards

_____
Tom

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
As per everyone's recommendations, I have purchased Li-Ion 2 17670, Is this true that with only 1400 Mah that 17670 will provide equal runtime to 2 standard CR123A batteries which would have an approximate mah of 2600 combined (I might be mistaken, please realize i'm a Newbie).

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 17670 has a couple obvious disadvantages performance-wise comapred to 2xCR123As. Capacity and voltage. It's a misnomer to think that 2xCR123As at 1300mAh make 2600mAh, instead you get 6V at 1300mAh (2*3=6). However, the L4, having regulation circuitry that boosts lower voltage, you can make the inference that 2xCR123As have more capacity that the li-ion.

The one advantage that the 17670 has over the 2xCR123As, which makes up for some of the differences, is that it has lower internal resistance. So while it doesn't have as much voltage, the juice flows easier, more efficiently.

Surefire's nomenclature on the L4 states a 1 hour runtime on 2xCR123As, testing shows it to be longer than that. 1 hour from a 17670 (I cannot verify this personally, just going by what other people say) is quite good. And much cheaper than constantly feeding your L4 primaries.

faucon

Enlightened
Quickbeam's tests (www.flashlightreviews.com) show that the L4 works well on protected 17670s (or on Pila 600s cells which are essentially the same thing). The L4 has exactly the same output on these rechargeables as it does on primary cells. I would expect runtime to be less---but as other members have pointed out, the savings in expensive batteries really adds up over time.

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Weskix
In regards to batteries generally: (not specifically for the L4)
I don't think you will find R123As with high capacities- they are generally 500-750mAh capacity.
Using two gives twice the voltage (in series configuration which is OK ) OR twice the run-time ( if connected in parallel-NOT recommended), not both (as Planterz explained).
The trouble is that non-rechargeables have longer run times but when they're gone, they're gone. The bigger (17670, 18650) cells are good value in terms of price and runtime (see AW's battery sales threads...http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97268)
Have fun

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, interesting thread. I have a new KL3 head on an L5 body and been wondering what a good rechargeable solution might be. I know nothing about the 17650 or the 18650. I assume the 18650 won't fit in the L5?

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume the 18650 won't fit in the L5?

No it won't unless you have it bored out like mine! :grin2:

I get about 90 minutes of runtime with an LG 2400mAh battery. I just ordered a few of LG's new 2600 mAh batteries and they should give me around 100 minutes of runtime. :naughty:

Last edited:

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
My next question is, Do the 17670's make full contact in the light? I read somewhere about having to put some type of magnet on the end to make the Pila batteries contact? and since the 17670 is relativly the same battery will it require something of this sort as well?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 123A cell is standardized between 33.5-34.5mm. So a 17670 (being 67mm long) should be within spec...any variences beyond (or rather, below) this length should be taken up by spring slack. Spacer (magnets) shouldn't be necessary.

I think older Pila 168S cells were only 65mm long (being 17650s) and might have needed spacers. These have been replaced (or renamed) by the 600S cell which is 68mm long.

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help guys, it is greatly appreciated. Now it sounds like i need to start modding some of these danged Mag Lites laying around.

Dijon

Newly Enlightened
I love my addiction. I have an L4 that is supposed to be here today and I am now ordering rechargeables for it and my other 2xCR123s.

Cadster

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this question...
Oh well, I was EDC'ing a TW4 for quite some time, totally ignorant of the potential hazards of the unprotected RCR123. I've since stopped carrying it, but I would be most grateful if anyone here can suggest an appropriate substitution that would be less dangerous.

marxs

Enlightened
Cadster: I would think the most appropriate substitute would be a protected RCR123 instead of an unprotected one. as for the runtimes that I am not sure, though im hoping someone here could shed some light on that, im thinking of building myself a tw4 setup as well, one sweet small bright light. Do note that even on RCR123 you wont be getting any regulation at all :thumbsdow...or so i read

mark

Cadster

Newly Enlightened
marxs: Thanks for the info. My initial understanding of the use of unprotected cells allowed the L4 head to run at full intensity (and I assumed, full regulation) since unprotected cells are at 4.2V 'hot off the charger'. I thought I had read somewhere that protected cells, when fully charged, would start out at a lower voltage. As a result, the light might not run at maximum brightness or in regulation, as you stated in your post. So I guess my real question is, can I run a TW4 configuration that is safe and at full intensity? :thinking:

Latest posts