searching for a Flood light that is very "floody"?...

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Now I'm searching for a light that will give me a MASS of flood light and truly light up a large area. I don't care about throw at all because I have a TL-3 and now my SL propoly lux will arrive this week. Based on reviews, the propoly has a spot beam and throws.

The light that I'm looking for must be an LED, and really impress me from the wall of floody light. So far I have my eyes set on SF L2 or U2. I'm considering L2 over L4 because they are the same but L2 has the lower output option with 10 hours.

Between the L2 and U2 which one gives a more flood/wall of light? Are there any other LED lights that I'm missing and are better flood lights than L2 and U2??

Thanks

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, I have the SureFire L2 Digital LumaMax and it truly is a Wall-Of-Light to be sure for the short to medium range. When it's in use, it'll be on HIGH most of the time, and once in a while it'll be used on low mode. Personally don't have any use for the SF.U2.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

mahoney

Enlightened
L4 or Aleph 19. I've got both and they are both good choices for a "focused flood".

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a Surefire L2. In high it has a very " Mass of flood light ".

You won't be sorry if you got L2.

BigBaller

Enlightened
The L2 is a great light. You really cant go wrong with either one. The L6 puts up a nice wall of light too.

Last edited:

LiteFan

Enlightened
I recently purchased a Surefire L2 Lumimax and I agree about the wall of light.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm Those are all good and you may want to have a look at a McLux TK with a 3w mod. They have the McFlood reflector which is nice. I have beamshots in my sigline. If you want a low mode then Aleph A19 with a 5w bb500 and a 2-stage 20ohm tail does a great job all around. Go with dual batteries and use a DB917 and now you're talkin'!

SCblur

Enlightened
I'll add my vote for the L2. It's one of my favorite lights, and produces a very useful beam for close to medium range work. Very much the wall-of-light you're looking for. The L4 puts out a similar beam, only without the two-stage cap. There are after market two-stage caps available (the McE2s), but I still prefer the L2 for its better balance and feel in my hand. That's just my personal preference.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for a Nuwai TM 301X. Dirt cheap ( comparitivly ), small, and with a 5watt Luxeon and two 3.7v rechargeables makes a great floody.

Not sure why people above think that a Surefire M3T or Dominator X10 are LED lights !!!

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electro lumens makes a small trilight,it is truly a Wall of light,it has a high and low.High will light up every inch of a yard.It runs on rechargable AAA.The light is called my little friend.

bpond

Newly Enlightened
Mega lumens,

Let me introduce you to the CentraLED. Here is the link to a review. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/centraled_100led.htm

It does not fit the description of a flashlight because of the different shape and style of the body, but, it will give you your desired flood of light. Here is a link to a heavily posted thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/119600&highlight=centraled (ignore the $49.95 thing, it was a big experiment gone bad) Some of the comments actually describe the beam pattern and I think it might be just what you are looking for. Currently and for a limited time this light is available at www.centraled.net for a special of $129.95. We are running a special related to a TV spot but this will not go on indefinitely. If you purchase and you are not happy with the light pattern or output we will gladly accept a return.

With that being said, there is currently developement under way for a traditional flashlight using the same head and optics. This will provide the same light beam but in a more traditional package. We are looking at doing a group buy on that product but not until an October/November time frame which is when we plan on starting production. I do not yet have a price estimate for the flashlight.

Sorry for the shameless commercial plug.

Bob

Last edited:

mega_lumens

Enlightened
for now I made up my mind and I'm going to stay with L2.

What rechargeables like AW's work with L2 and how many do I need to get?

SCblur

Enlightened
the protected 14670 works with the L2. 37minutes on high, followed by 12 on low. You will need a couple of rare earth magnets to put on the positive contacts of each battery to make good contact with the light. The 14670 is the length of 2 primaries, so you'll only need one at a time to power the light.

Last edited: