Raccoon spotting with a U2

SCblur

Enlightened
I was upstairs tonight working on the computer with the window open to let some cool air in. I heard a loud crashing noise coming from the backyard (right outside my window), which prompted me to grab my U2 and investigate. Yipee, I thought, a chance to shine my light around the yard. (Only you guys would understand that, I'm sure). I was expecting to find a person, but to my surprise I run into six, count them, SIX raccoons. Initially, they were so scared by my presence, that they ran away growling and screeching (I surprised them as much as they surprised me). They made for a dense row of spruce trees lining one side of our yard, where a 8-foot cinderblock wall also resides. Within a few minutes of staring into my U2 and scurrying amongst the trees from atop the wall, the grew used to my presence and began to come out of hiding. I must have spent an hour following them around the yard, as they explored one tree after another. A couple of times they started heading for an adjacent backyard, only to be scared back to mine by barking dogs. They were so cute, they would stare into my beam with such curiosity, so much so that I began anthropomorphizing their quizzical gestures. I have never seen six raccoons together before. They seem to get along pretty well. Atop that narrow wall, they were busy crawling over and under eachother as they explored my yard's perimeter. It was an enjoyable use for my U2, I hope they come back tomorrow night.

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
Sounds like fun! Be careful what you wish for though.....They can become a nuisance. They are also a common carrier of rabies, at least here is our corner of Pennsylvania, so do be careful.

Alan

SCblur

Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my distance. I've heard they can be feisty, so I kept one foot ready, in case i needed to up and run.

dyyys1

Enlightened
Animals seem much more tame when they can't see you because of a blinding light in front of you. It opens many avenues for getting close and photographing or otherwise observing many different creatures of the night. I once stood just a couple feet away from a baby deer who was so confused by my light that it just sat there even while I called my family to get them to come look.

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
We have a pack of four young raccoons that sometimes come onto our deck at night looking for food. They go nuts over any leftover bird seed yet we have tomato plants on the deck and they've never touched them. Here is a rather blurry picture of one of them...

raccoon.jpg

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
SCblur said:
. They were so cute, they would stare into my beam with such curiosity, so much so that I began anthropomorphizing their quizzical gestures. I have never seen six raccoons together before.

. . . 100 dollar word.:naughty: :goodjob:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I love raccoons ... but around here they mean rabies and usually it's best if they are killed on sight.

It's been almost 10 years since I've seen one up close.

I'll never forget about two decades ago a co-worker found a baby raccoon in an old shed. It was about half grown. He picked up with gloves and the lil' guy just sat there looking adorable. It was before the rabies scare so we put him back and left the shed.

Chris201W

Enlightened
We get rabid racoons around here every now and then. Obvious warning signs are things like walking around during the day, aggressiveness (like fighting with other racoons), and the appearance of drunkeness. You should watch for these behaviors, and definately steer clear if you see any. Observing wildlife can be very interesting, but a certain degree of caution should be exercised around any wild animal. It doesn't sound like you're doing anything rash though.

Have fun!