TRACER GLOWRINGS: NO MORE TO THE COLONIES!

fracman

Newly Enlightened
I just bought the s3401b watch and ten more of these cool tracers...but read the response!

Dear Nathan

(snip)

Please be aware that this is the last time we will be able to supply you
with glowrings. Unfortunately, the U.S NRC has put a stop on exports of
these particular items to all U.S customers.

Thank you for your continued support.

Best regards

Bummer!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fracman:

Unfortunately, the U.S NRC has put a stop on exports of these particular items to all U.S customers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's got to be the most #*%@&$'d up thing I've ever heard! The devices emit no ionizing gamma radiation whatsoever, and only tiny amounts of alpha rays that the glass bulb takes care of. I was thinking of getting a green one, since my blue one is somewhat dimmer than I expected. Guess I'm S.O.L. now.
frown.gif

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

axolotls

Enlightened
This is amazing!?!? I just got a bunch of these yesterday.

What the big deal? Maybe the only risk would be the guys pumping the s#$# in the sealed tubes. I believe even UK and EU nations have stricter environmental regulations than the US..

---------------------->>>

Certificate of Conformance to the standards required by the following documents:

OECD/Nuclear Energy Agency:
Radiation Protection Standards for Tritium Gaseous Light Devices. USA:

American National Standard N540 Classification of radioactive Self Luminous Light.

Great Britain Ministry of Defence Standard 62-4/Issue 3 Lamps, Nuclear (Gaseous Tritium Light Sources).

Council Directive 96-29-EURATOM of 13th May 1996

Brock

Flashaholic
I have heard the problem is you could break the plastic case open, then you could fracture the glass tube, then you could drink the glowing liquid. This would be a bad thing. I think if someone actually did that they would deserve what is comming to them, probably a bad stomach ache
smile.gif

It is amazing what they say is dangerous and remove it, yet we still have cars? Go figure. I am glad I got mine already. Hey Craig I have three, I will send you one in the next batch of lights
wink.gif

Brock

axolotls

Enlightened
They are laser sealed borosillicate glass vials which are internally coated with phosphor injected with gaseous tritium which reacts with the phosphor to create a cold energy which produces a low level light source with no filaments or heat disipation and no risk of fire or explosion.

So, no liquid. So if you break it open, don't breathe for a couple of seconds.

It's the same stuff they put in watches, sites for pistols, etc.

First we can't import their beef and sheep products, now this....
tongue.gif

BobSnow

Newly Enlightened
I have little doubt that Glowrings are safe. It is my understanding that the Radon gas you breath in most homes is more harmful than the encapsulated Tritium gas in a Glow Ring. I suspect it's just a problem of filing the massive amounts of paperwork with all the relevant agencies. Probably not worth it for the small volume and low cost of the Glowring.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
Would you have a problem receiving one as a "misc. Birthday gift"?

When's your Birthday?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are referring to me, I was plopped out on a mid-September evening back in the early 1960s.

Thanks!
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
I have heard the problem is you could break the plastic case open, then you could fracture the glass tube, then you could drink the glowing liquid. This would be a bad thing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I am aware, these are filled with a few microliters of tritium gas, which would simply float harmlessly away if the ampoule is busted - much like what happens to helium in a broken party balloon.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
It is amazing what they say is dangerous and remove it, yet we still have cars? Go figure.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and guns, and electric food blenders with sharp rotating blades, vises that can pinch fingers, power drills, and lest we not forget, those pesky laser pointers...
wink.gif

Inhaling a few microliters of tritium is probably no more likely to kill you than a tooth x-ray.
blush.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I am glad I got mine already. Hey Craig I have three, I will send you one in the next batch of lights
wink.gif

Brock
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! I like the blue one (that I paid FOURTY BUCKS for!) but it was much less visible than it was led on to be.
All comments I've seen on the net seem to indicate the green model is the brightest of all the available formulations.

Clay

Newly Enlightened
Where are the Trasers made? Wonder if there are any dealers over here that have them. Been meaning to get some. hope I didn't miss my window of opportunity...

axolotls

Enlightened
They are made in the UK.

I had this in my address book:

Push Marketing
Unit 208 A1
Belgravia Workshops
London N19 4NF

Tel: + 44 (0)20 7263 5850
Fax: + 44 (0)20 7263 5854

axolotls

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:

All comments I've seen on the net seem to indicate the green model is the brightest of all the available formulations.
B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got a bunch in yesterday and in order of brightness:

Green, Yellow, Ice Blue (Light Blue), Blue. A lot of people like the Blue one (kinda purplish, but a lot dimmer than the other three, so most people relent and get the Ice Blue instead).

BTW, since I've had these, I've gotten every cancer known in the world.. and Ebola..

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig,
I just ordered set of 4 Tracers
3/24, and received confirmation
on 3/27 that they were "dispatched" to me via air mail "straightaway"(I think that means... "rightaway" to us on this side of the pond)..??
confused.gif

p.s.-I haven't gotten mine yet, but you might try: www.adventureKIT.com (Nectarine Ltd.) -it loads real sloooow...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
Craig,
I just ordered set of 4 Tracers
3/24, and received confirmation
on 3/27 that they were "dispatched" to me via air mail "straightaway"(I think that means... "rightaway" to us on this side of the pond)..??
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just tried the site, and it seems they only take credit card orders. My only one is a Sears card, and it don't work there.
blush.gif

Any ideas?
confused.gif

axolotls

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How much did they charge for shipping???

1.75 Quid-or about $2.85 U.S.
(Total)-16.20 British
p.s. they've got a whole lotta
interesting outdoor stuff....

Good Deal! I've tried their site (a few weeks back and today). But I could never get past the PERL Script when clicking on the order button.

I just went with a private sale and got a bunch of them.

You didn't have to pay the VAT? I think our firewall here isn't kind to overseas sites
frown.gif

I'll try at home!

fracman

Newly Enlightened
I enjoy the "glow rope" they sell and I bought the high end watch. I like the green trasers; I have been telling gift recpients they are kryptonite and I can't keep them around the house
grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How much did they charge for shipping???

1.75 Quid-or about $2.85 U.S.
(Total)-16.20 British
p.s. they've got a whole lotta
interesting outdoor stuff....

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by axolotls:
Good Deal! I've tried their site (a few weeks back and today). But I could never get past the PERL Script when clicking on the order button.

You didn't have to pay the VAT? I think our firewall here isn't kind to overseas sites
frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Their reply: No VAT tx on orders
to U.S.
Also, on the initial order, choice boxes for country of destination did
NOT offer the U.S.-so I
clicked on: "none of the above"
as my choice, and after 3 tries
it finally went thru.(somehow)..
confused.gif
grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arrived today
4 Traser tritium mini-keychain
columns, and I'm super-amazed at
their rocket-fast service.
smile.gif
smile.gif

-They are enclosed in plastic
protective cases and glow brighter than my Luminox watches...
p.s.-the whole works set me back
a grand total of about $23..
grin.gif