Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries

Thread: Halogen 1157 bulbs

Flashaholic

Default Halogen 1157 bulbs

I was looking at some sites for some halogen 1157 bulbs for my car and I need a second opinion. Jcwhitney is selling bulbs for $19.98/pair @ 30w/8w. which seems like a ripoff compared to these other two sites:

http://www.classicgarage.com/classic...hal11bul1.html
    50w/15w
    2 - $15
    ---------------------------

http://www.taillightking.com/light_bulbs.htm
    55/10 watt
    2 - $15

Does anyone have an opinion on which site is better or seen them advertised cheaper anywhere else? Also has anyone used these and seen a big increase in light output? Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Default Re: Halogen 1157 bulbs

You have some excellent questions and requests. But I'm moving this to the General Light Discussion forum. A subtle difference between the two forums -- lights carried by a person or mounted on a person's head vs. mounted on a vehicle. But I hope to keep the forum topics seperate. I'm moving your post over there where members can respond.

Flashaholic

"General Flashlight and Headlamp Discussion
    If you can carry it or put it on your head this is the place for discussion. "

You can carry one of these bulbs [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

1157 bulbs are almost always used in tail/stop lights, especially in American made cars, and some Hondas...Why would you want a 50watt stoplight? Car headlights usually run 55w on low beam, 65 watt on high beam. Maybe you're thinking of a 9004 bulb, which is a halogen insert type of headlight??

--dan

Flashaholic

no, they ARE 1157 bulbs, but just with the halogen gas which make them brighter. I was looking for a way to increase the brightness of my brake lights and it seems like the way to do it. If you take a look at the links, you can see them.

Flashaholic*

O.K., cool...my goof up...those would make some seriously bright brakelites...I wonder if the heat would melt the lenses?...?...

--dan

Administratior

They are also used on larger boats as cabin lights. I have changed a couple of them over to halogen. They are much brighter, but attract more bugs [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Wow, you know how the standard 1157 bulbs are rated around 27w/8w? and the highest halogen 1157 bulbs i've seen were like 50w/15w.
    Well, i came across this site that advertises "1157 Ultra White Halogen Signal Bulbs (twist mount, 2 contacts on bottom, 12V 80W)" ...........80 watts??? Thats an awful lot huh? I e-mailed them asking if that figure was accurate...if so I might consider those instead [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Its >>>here<<< if you wanna check it out. Its right above the light blue heading. What do YOU think of this? lol

Flashaholic

I hope they dont melt the lenses, but i'd be willing to try them anyway :P
    If it comes to that, i'll wire a minature 12v fan into the parking/brake lights so when they receive power the fan turns and cools the taillight assembly. Of course i'd have to cut a small hole in the back of the taillight to mount the fan but im sure i'd have fun doing it, lol

Oh yea, i found this comparison of the halogen to the regular bulb...its a motorcycle though but gives the idea:

http://hometown.aol.com/NightShft8/halogentable.html

Flashaholic

Forget it, they messed up....its actually 50w/30w and they changed it on the site. Geesh, wonder how many other things are advertised wrong on that site.
    Ordered 2 pair of the halogen 1157's...hope there's a pleasing difference in light output....hate waiting, grr [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]