I dont own a flashlight!

sawmill23

Newly Enlightened
I don't own a flashlight, so what is a good place to start? I'm thinking one of the new MAG D cell LEDs?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good first purchase choice. Of course you could always forget that and just run away from this place while you still have your wallet. :laughing:

You've been warned.

Welcome aboard.

sawmill23

Newly Enlightened
Also what is the difference between a 6 or 9 LED light, and a Luxeon (besides the number of bulbs). Can a light have multiple Luxeons?

And what is K2?

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

If you are looking for a flashlight to carry around in your pocket, as many of us on CPF do, the MagLED 2D is an (obviously) poor choice due to its huge size and substantial weight. Carry a flashlight around all the time? Are we nuts? Maybe, but once you do, you'll wonder how you got by without one. A light that is much more practical would be a Fenix L1P or Civictor V1 from Fenix-store.com.

But of course, what to recommend has a lot to do with the criteria you provide. What you intend to do with it and a budget would help us figure out what light is appropriate for you.

carrot

Flashaholic
sawmill23 said:
Also what is the difference between a 6 or 9 LED light, and a Luxeon (besides the number of bulbs). Can a light have multiple Luxeons?

And what is K2?
A Luxeon is what we call a "Power LED" -- which tends to be about 10x as bright, or brighter, than a standard 5mm LED light. Most "good" LED lights nowadays use Luxeons, although there are a few exceptions; depending on your needs and requirements, a 5mm LED light may be better as they are more efficient.

Yes, a light can have multiple Luxeons, but thus far they are fairly rare in retail and mostly found in custom LED flashlights.

A K2 is supposed to be "the next generation Luxeon." Whether it is or isn't remains to be seen. "K2" can also refer to the Surefire K2 Kroma, a new model flashlight that DOES NOT use the K2 LED.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
The absolute best first flashlight is the Surefire L4. It's a classic light. A wonderful light. An investment. Stick in a 17670 Li-ION rechargeable battery. You can find the L4 for something north of $100 on B/S/T from time to time.

If you need a lot of throw, get a TigerLight with Gen4 375 lumen bulb assembly and upgraded battery pack. With or without built in pepper spray.

For your first mod, stick an 1160 bulb in a MagCharger and add a 4000mAh NiMH battery pack and FiveMega's ceramic slug.

DO NOT get a twistie or an A2. (Inside joke)

carrot

Flashaholic
Josey said:
DO NOT get a twistie or an A2. (Inside joke)
He's actually lying. You really do want a Surefire A2, which is one of the most versatile flashlights you could ever own, for a mere $150.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the Streamlight Poly 4AA Luxeon..order from Fox Intl for $24..or buy at some hardware stores...for $30!!!....

Quite powerful for a first light....I like the wrist lanyard too. You can cinch it around the wrist, and if you have to let go the light just drops and hangs from your arm..straight down..keeps giving light where you're walking. Once you have a powerful light- like the poly 4AA you can compare others to it, because this light is well know.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L2 if you really want to get hooked. But be very careful, once you started on this, it can get very expensive... Oh no! It's my creditors calling again!

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Don't listen to any of these people!

Your 1st flashlight should be a 99 cent 2 AA light from Walmart--batteries included! Yep, that's right--99 CENTS for a cheapo 2 AA plastic incandescent light.

It's always good to have a cheezy light so when you start buying expensive lights you have something to compare them to. This way you appreciate the expensive lights more and you realize that you get what you pay for! :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
carrot said:
He's actually lying. You really do want a Surefire A2, which is one of the most versatile flashlights you could ever own, for a mere $150.

A mere $150??:ohgeez:

You're going to scare the poor guy off.

I bought my first Surefire for that much, and saved up a few months for it!

I say he should get a 2AAA River Rock, pocket flashlight. $9.95 at Target.

Love the pocket carry-clip that comes with it.:sold:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josey said:
The absolute best first flashlight is the Surefire L4. It's a classic light. A wonderful light. An investment. Stick in a 17670 Li-ION rechargeable battery. You can find the L4 for something north of $100 on B/S/T from time to time.

I'm with Josey. My first flashlight wasn't an L4, but it was a lux V with the same output (brightness wise) as an L4. I think it'll be the most satisfying first light. It might put an quick stop buying a bunch of unsatisfying cheapies.

This may be an equivalent, but less costly, alternative-- http://cgi.ebay.com/G-P-T6-5W-LED-N...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

CLHC

Flashaholic
Lots of recommendations here. . .

There's the Dorcy Super 1 Watt that's powered by a single CR123

Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon as stated above

and try checking out Elektro Lumens' line of flashlights here:

http://elektrolumens.com

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
. . . All of thh above recommendations are good. I'd say make a list (alphabetically) of all the lights named. The one closest to the top is the one to buy.

(oh, and if you want advice on which light is the best, you can do the same thing with the screennames. the person closest to the top has a clue)

If you don;t have time to do the above, then Just go buy an A2 and thank Carrot later.

oh, and you might also consider getting a G2, E2e/l, X5, 6P, SL4PP, U2, Gladius, HID(your choice) Mag85 (and/or ROP), and a fistful of keychain lights (Orb, anyone?)

I'll bet, that if you;re still posting here in a week, then you'll have at least four of the above within six months.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
go with a maxfire.... it is very bright and it is cheap... they sell it at wal mart.

-David

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not a bad start for an all-purpose light. But you might want to approach this from another angle and consider what you plan on using the light for and then select a light that fulfills that need.

sawmill23 said:
I don't own a flashlight, so what is a good place to start? I'm thinking one of the new MAG D cell LEDs?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
cheapo said:
go with a maxfire.... it is very bright and it is cheap... they sell it at wal mart.

-David

:ohgeez:

You're right! I own the Maxfire version with the Xenon bulb that runs on 2 lithium batteries. The construction is not quite as good, quality-wise, as on my Surefire C2. But I paid $149 compared to just $17 for the Maxfire...... And it's just as bright as my Surefire! :eek:

---------------

With regards to the Night-ops Gladius, I had a chance to examine one recently. The price tag was $289 at Paragon Sporting Goods. The pocket torch was very well-built..... until I got to the tailcap assembly. It was the cheapest, poorly-fitted, piece of plastic that I have ever seen on any light. (The combination plastic / rubber on my Maxfire's tailcap assembly is better-fitted and higher quality). It felt flimsy. You could rotate it to the always-off position with a tiny flick of your finger...... I'm really hoping that the example I found was just a rare lemon that squeaked by QC.

Last edited:

X Racer

Enlightened
I'll say get a Civictor V1 for a first light, or a Fenix L1T or L2T. These lights are very practical, are small enough to be pocket carried, provide high quality light, and use regular AA batteries you can get anywhere.