Got $600 to blow

instinct

Newly Enlightened
I was just looking for maybe some suggestions.. I bought a 30mw green laser system off Ebay about a year ago.. and I'm addicted.. I have been thinking about spending $600 or so on a laser system.. i'm trying to also decide wether i should get a Red and Green or just a pure green.. i know the red has to be a lot more powerful to have the same visability as the green.. i'm pretty sure i'd rather have a laser light show system that just a pointer.. anyone have any suggestions.. anyone have any ebayer sellers that are trusted? I know most of you guys are more into pointers.. but any help would be greatly appreciated..

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
With $600 you may want to look into a blue laser. Just a thought. They are a little pricey though. I have a 25mW blue argon head that I should get rid of... I got it off eBay but the power supply I had coming was not compatable. It's just sitting in the corner of my office. There is a PS on eBay for it but it's going for $299+shipping. I paid about $175 for the head unit shipped. I've been debating re-listing it on eBay but... haven't gotten motivated enough. I also just started selling stuff there and wanted to get a little feedback for selling before I put an item like this up. PM me if you might be interested.

If not I also got a decent 100mW Green DPSS module from extreme lasers. They sell stuff on eBay and will also give you a decent deal if you call them. Mine cost just under $200 shipped. I have not tested it's strength though. It was SOLD as 100mW. I;ve been meaning to take it to the University but haven't...

instinct

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys.. Also, i should mention I want something that i can use a DMX Controller on.. that means I would also need to buy one too though.. but I've been planning on getting one for a while.

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
You can get simple, inexpensive laser shows with DMX control, I think in the $100 range. You can also get closed loop galvos.

Try this auction for a closed loop galvo that also includes a sound activated DMX board. That seller is reputed to boot :grin2:. This kit usually goes for around 300$ if memory serves me well :whistle:

Or this one for open loop (stepper motor). These you can hook directly to sound input from an amplifier. I don't know the seller though, but he's been selling that kit for some time.

Closed loop are better for graphics, text and animations, while open loop are good for beam shows and spirograph like patterns.

If you go with an off the shelf solution, get a red one with 100mw, and hack it to use your green as well. For this you will need a dichroic mirror to combine the red and green, and a means to blank the lasers independently. Or get an RGY system and save all the hassle :touche:

SmithB

Newly Enlightened
allthatwhichis said:
You can sometimes snipe a good price off their eBay auctions if they end at a late hour... jtice called them and they gave him a better price than the web site on his 100mW TEC cooled green DPSS. He got the model after mine I think.

I've got the same one he does. I'm probably going to put it up for sale soon. I don't really need it, and shouldn't have bought it.

instinct

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot everyone for the help.. I don't think i'll go with just the DMX boards without the laser.. I'm too worried I would mess it up.. even though I'm sure I could make a pretty cool system like that. I don't think I'll get a just red laser either.. I don't know what it is.. but solid red lasers aren't that appealing to my eye.. but the RGY looks nice though.. If only blue lasers weren't so expensive.

instinct

Newly Enlightened
also i should add.. about how much more powerful should a red laser be to look the same brightness as the green.. I had heard that the green is twice as visible to our eye than a red of the same power.. but then again, on all the RGY units, the red is usually 3 times as powerful.