Surefire L2 and L4 vs 9P

Gern Blanston

Newly Enlightened
I have a 9P, 6P, and a 9Z, but I'm interested in the smaller form factor of the L2 and L4 Lumamax series. When I compare the 100 lumen L2 vs the 9P, the 9P seems significantly brighter although they have similar lumen ratings. Does anyone know if this is the case, or am I imagining things? The LED vs. the bulb of the 9P might be the difference.

Also, although the L4 package states that it's rated at 65 lumens, Surefire assures me that it's actually 100 lumens. Does anyone know if this is true?

faucon

Enlightened
Gern Blanston said:
I have a 9P, 6P, and a 9Z, but I'm interested in the smaller form factor of the L2 and L4 Lumamax series. When I compare the 100 lumen L2 vs the 9P, the 9P seems significantly brighter although they have similar lumen ratings. Does anyone know if this is the case, or am I imagining things? The LED vs. the bulb of the 9P might be the difference.

Also, although the L4 package states that it's rated at 65 lumens, Surefire assures me that it's actually 100 lumens. Does anyone know if this is true?
Yes. I understand that Surefire was initially using a very conservative method of testing lumens that underestimated the output of some of their lights. Later their lights were re-tested more accurately. So it seems to be true that 100 lumens is the real output. The beams and output of the L4 and of the L2 on high are very similar: very bright 'floodlight' for short to medium range work. Throw is limited compared to lights with a brighter 'hot spot', though IMHO the L2 and L4 are still fairly useful at moderately long distances due to their intrinsic brightness. I don't have a 9P but suspect that it has a brighter central hot spot and will illumine objects at a greater distance than the L2 & L4, although with less flood. All of these are very useful lights. Their beams were designed for different purposes --- what you will be happy with depends on what you primarily intend to use them for --- wide coverage or spotting at a distance.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh no, not the whole incan versus. LED debate again....

without going into it, just point both at the ceiling and turn one on at a time. how the room is illuminated by the bounced light should tell a more accurate picture.

Last edited:

Gern Blanston

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much. I have a lot to learn.

Yes, the 9P does have a more focused beam, and it seems to light up an area more than the L2 or L4, but I can understand the applications of each now thanks to the feedback.

Sorry, I didn't mean to stir up an old debate.

The L4 is more suited to my purpose than the L2: it's much smaller and lighter with an equal light output. The 2-stage output of the L2 is nice, but the compactness of the L4 has won me over.

faucon

Enlightened
Gern Blanston said:
Thanks so much. I have a lot to learn.

The L4 is more suited to my purpose than the L2: it's much smaller and lighter with an equal light output. The 2-stage output of the L2 is nice, but the compactness of the L4 has won me over.
Hello and welcome to CPF! I know you'll enjoy your L4. It's one of my absolute favourite lights and is my usual every-day carry. Please don't worry about stirring up a debate. This is one issue that is never going to go away and there are always partisans on both sides. And lots of folks in the middle, like me, who like both LEDs and incans.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
THe 9P lamp is an incandescent if i'm not mistaking. The incans usually all have better throw by nature because of the spectrum of light. LED lighting is more "softer" looking. Thus it will always have the appearance of being brighter because it throws further.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are at least two important considerations when comparing LED to incandescent light.

Firstly, that the light produced is very different and how the eyes see the light, and how the eyes see things illuminated by the light is very different. Apples & Oranges.

Secondly, the LED lights that SureFire manufactures tend to be regulated so that for the majority of the runtime quoted the output will be the same.
With the exception of the A2, the situation is very different for SureFire's incandescent lights. Over the course of the runtime of the batteries the light output changes - it reduces over time, and the light yellows.
SureFire do not rate the output of an unregulated incandescent light as the peak or maximum output it is capable of producing. They rate the output as that which the user will usually get for a good proportion of the runtime under normal use conditions.

Thirdly, both incandescent and LED outputs vary from light to light so the rating takes into account that some units are going to be brighter, and some units are going to be less bright, than the majority of units.

SureFire revised some of it's LED light ratings based on gaining more reliable and valid output data after much testing of production units.

Al

Gern Blanston

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much to everyone. I just found this forum last night, and it's great! I've been reading your comments and other posts, so I did my own comparison in the back yard last night.

Now I understand the differences between the lights and their applications: each type has its own purpose.

Great info.

Thanks again

marxs

Enlightened
oh and welcome to cpf! either choice is a good choice, hope you like your L4, ill be picking one up soon as well :naughty:

mark

Gern Blanston

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for being so welcoming. I've been to other forums where people haven't been so kind to "dumb" questions. :)

marxs

Enlightened
well like i always say, theres really no "dumb" question when it comes to learning new things, the only "dumb" question would be why you didnt ask in the first place
rolleye11.gif

mark

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Gern.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but how does the L2 compare with the U2? According to Flashlight reviews, there is a big difference (55 Total Output for the U2 and 72 for the L2). According to Surefire they are both 100 Lumen. Anyone have experience with both? I've got a U2 and like it; would be disappointed to find out the L2 is that much brighter.

marxs

Enlightened
I think the difference between the 2 would be the beam characteristics. im no expert, but take a look at both throw measurements and you'll see that the U2 rolls over the L2. having said that, im going to guess here that they could both be putting out 100 lumens, but since the U2 has a deeper reflector (e.g. better throw) it wont be putting out as much in "total output" category as some of the light is focused forward, whereas the L2 throws it out in all directions lighting up the immediate surroundings better. thats at least my understanding of quickbeams charts.

mark

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the U2 and the L2 (and the L4), and the difference is exactly as marxs stated: L2/4 are extreme floodlights, with not much throw. The U2 has a very nice balance of throw and sidespill (it's not really a throw moster), perfect for allround uses, but it's bigger and heavier than L2/4. Be aware that the L2 is rather long, while the L4 is really tiny.

Loomy

Enlightened
Illumination said:
would be disappointed to find out the L2 is that much brighter.

It's all about the beam design. That's the #1 thing people should be looking for after brightness, and I think they should also be advertised with lights. The U2 has most of its light in a decent-throwing glob in the middle, with some flood outside. The L2 on the other hand, as you can tell from the beam shots, just spits it out pretty evenly everywhere. So some lights like a Gladius are spotlights, some lights like the L2 are floodlights, and some lights, like the U2, manage to straddle the line :)

So since both L2 and U2 use the same batteries and LEDs, the only question about the light output is: which beam design do you like better? (not to mention the ergonomics and electronics and run times) :)

So yeah, to me the beam shots in flashlight reviews are really worthwhile, because they tell you how the light was designed and what it will do well.

Last edited:

Gern Blanston

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for the help. I've found that I like the lights with the longer throw as opposed to the floods. It appears that a lot of people think that the U2 is a good compromise between flood and throw, so I think that I'm going to get a U2.

Johnski

Newly Enlightened
I'm a new member here at CPF, but I've been a flashaholic for about 4 years. I see this U2 will be your 4th light. My third light was the L2 and I should have stopped there, although, I think the U2 will probably be one of the best flashlights ever constructed. Even if you buy $150 worth of batteries a year, you will still be ahead of the game as long as you don't buy another light.
But, most likely you will plunge headlong into a whirlwind of uncontrolled spending. I used to think that my L2 gobbled up too many batteries too fast, but I never stopped to do the math: $100/year in batteries is better than $300 to $400/year in flashlights!! I wish I still had my L2, get my 7 dozen batteries (free shipping:grin2: ), buy my wife a $200 necklace, and be done with it.