Reason #9,462 to carry both a flashlight AND a backup

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took a good friend to the emergency room last night. She's fine, just had to have a nasty cut stitched up. The ER doctor was just about to tie a knot in the second stitch when the lights go out. No emergency lights in the room, but there were several out in the hallway. No one had a flashlight. I hand my SL PP Lux AA to the nurse to hold so the doctor can see. The nurse drops it, the light falls and lands tail-first on one of the legs of the stool the doctor is sitting on, and turns off. So I pull out my keys with the fauxton on them, find the SL, turn it back on, hand it to the nurse. 5 minutes later the backup generator turns on, all is well. Turns out a drunk driver took out a power pole not far away.

:buddies:

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHAT HAVE YOU GOT AGAINST BEING PREPARED! Burt Gummer from the S/F film TREMOURS.

chiphead

monobeg

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I don't much like the idea that the generators didn't kick in right away. Hope that hospital doesn't have an Intensive Care Unit, with all those life-supporting machines!

I assume your light didn't break, right? Just couldn't be picked up from the dirty floor?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Excellent job!

I usually carry 3 lights on me. My primary pocket torch (one of several models).

My 1AAA Dorcy keychain light, and my blue-tint Inova Microlight in my pocket..... just in case. I know I'm not the only one who carries 3 lights on a regular basis, right? :anyone:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monobeg-

Most medical equipment has internal backup power. Usually an SLA that charges whenever the unit is plugged into line power. My light was fine, just couldn't FIND the poor thing when it fell and turned off in absolute darkness. Used the fauxton to find the SL, then used the SL to finish the job. Worked out well. I'm sure that SOMEONE had a few little disposeable pen lights. :shrug:

I'm very seriously thinking of adding an Inova X5 or some other 1xAA-long runtime light and 4 lithium AA spares to my EDC. I'd probably keep my fauxton, it takes up no room.

Thanks all. :)

:buddies:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anytime I'm out of the house I've got my E1e+Kl1, an Inova X1, at least one Photon Freedom Max, and a MiniMag with an LED conversion (or more than one). Sound like overkill? Might be, except I've had more than a few occasions to use (or loan) all of them at the same time. Who says life is dull?

There's also a 6P handy in the FatBoy and a 2D MagLED and a Gerber Reactor 3AA in the truck, just in case the others aren't enough. I've come close to have everything in use at one time a couple of times. I'm not sure if it's been a case or two of being in the right place at the right time, or of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it's been good to go loaded for bear.

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
I keep one 1W and one 3W flashlight in my truck, and always carry an Fauxton on my keyring. If I'm thinking I'll get home after dark (or leave home in the early AM or late PM), I'll carry a lower-power, long runtime like my E1 or Arc and one high power, like a Nuwai Q3 or (more rarely) an incan.

jernan001

Newly Enlightened
Monocrom said:
Excellent job!

I usually carry 3 lights on me. My primary pocket torch (one of several models).

My 1AAA Dorcy keychain light, and my blue-tint Inova Microlight in my pocket..... just in case. I know I'm not the only one who carries 3 lights on a regular basis, right? :anyone:
You might be the only one that carries JUST 3 lights.:candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: and counting.