Very bright amber or white LED bike flashers?

Velcro

Enlightened
I'm looking for an amber or white colored LED flasher to put on the handlebar of my bike.

These are my requirements:

- It has to be as bright as possible
- It should provide 180 degree of coverage (side facing LED's)
- It should have a minimum of 5 LED's (7 would be great: 5 front & 2 side facing!)
- It should run on AA cell batteries (preferable)
- It has to include a quick release mount
- Size is not an issue

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Greetings,
Velcro

Darell

Flashaholic
That is slick Roger. I think I'll get one of those to put on my daughter's head when she's playing out in the street at night. I've always been troubled by the intense directionality of most of the blinky bike lights.

Velcro

Enlightened
Roger, thanks for the tip but I'm really looking for a flasher that emits white or amber/yellow colored light for the front, be it white or amber/yellow LED's with a clear lens or white LED's with an amber lens. That Trek light looks nice but it's LED's are red.

Greetings,
Velcro

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Really? I thought the description said "white." No wonder...I figured they weren't using a step-up, since they only use two batteries....

How about using a Photon III in orange color, set to fast blink? This is what I use in emergencies, when I find myself having to ride home in the dark w/o a light...the orange is pretty bright/noticeable and lasts fairly long when used intermittently.

Alternatively, I've sometimes used my Eternalight. It's BRIGHT! (But you have to find a way to mount it yourself.)

Besides the standard two cell, 3 or 4 led blinky lights (I've seen some in green--made my Trek--and some in Amber--made by Vistalight) I haven't seen a good one that I'd want myself.

I would want:
4 or 5 bright leds
Runs off 2AAA's or 2AA's
Small
White led's.

Maybe we should design one here on the CPF.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Having check out the photon 3 web page
<snip> http://www.photonlight.com/products/photon_3.html

CRYSTAL Photon 3: The Crystal Photon 3 features a transparent extended housing which allows the Photon 3 to be used with any of the Rav'n / P3 Crystals (sold separately) for an awesome effect. Because the crystal makes the light highly visible from nearly all angles, it is great for night-time bike riding, or attaching to a dog's collar at night for increased visibility. Combining two different colored P3's set at the fast & medium strobe speeds creates a brilliant pulsing effect that is sure to attract attention! $27.95 ea. (Crystals sold separately)

has anyone tried this as a bike solution as I'm tempted to "have a go" but would appreciate other users feed back.

PS anyone know where I can buy a well priced photon 3 crystal?

Darell

Flashaholic
I've been using a Photon III on my dog now for some time. I blink it at the middle speed and let it dangle. The amount if side-light is amazing! And when it swings, it just about blinds you. If you can let it swing with your riding movement, the Photon III is all you need. Even if it does not swing, there is plenty of side-light in my experience.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of photons, the only white light that comes close to your demands is the photon Fusion, a bike mount is available for $5.
17-1599.jpg

For a retailer try
IMO.

The more LEDs the more expensive its going to be. Another cheaper alternative is the three white LED cateye for $25. Which will be brighter than 5 yellow leds anyhow.

31-340.jpg

Some people have modified their vistalights with yellow LEDS do a search on vistalight and yellow or amber.

Velcro

Enlightened
JollyRoger, the Photon 3 looks nice but it isn't useful for me because I really need a durable, secure permanent mount. It also uses rather rare batteries and is kind off hard to find here in The Netherlands (the Photon 2 is just starting to hit the shelfs here).

Anyway, I see you are also looking for a good front flasher. IMO, 180 degree coverage is very very important. I have an yellow flasher that has 4 LED's of which 2 are pointed forward and the other 2 are pointing to the sides. I noticed that cars notice me when I come from the left or right because of those side facing LED's and usually slow down. That's great. But it doesn't have LED's to cover those important 45 degree angles. I really wish there was a bike light that would also have 45 degree placed LED's.

A strong plastic body and lens would also be great. I hate it when the lens cracks or the mounting clip breaks off.
mad.gif
Perhaps a fiberglass-reinforced polymer body like those Pelican cases have and a Lexan lens. Oh, and an O-ring and stainless steel screws to hold it all together (I don't really like the snap-on lenses).
smile.gif

Greetings,
Velcro

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Hmmm...I see. I'll think about these and maybe post some more info if I come across a nice light...(yes, I too am looking for the perfect bike flasher...small, yet powerful and good design, runs on AAA's or AA's, etc.)

About the Photon III, you can get the CR2032 batteries here for about $1 each...not bad. They last long, too...and I was thinking that you can use velcro (hehe..) to attach the Photon III to your bike when you need it.

A permanent attachement might get stolen?

Anyways, I DEFINITELY recommend an amber and/or red Photon III for you, then...even if it's on your keychain and used for emergency with your bike...

Heck, if you can't find them there, I'll even buy one here and ship it to you, along with several spare batteries..all at cost...
Just let me know.
smile.gif

Velcro

Enlightened
JollyRoger, I didn't mean a permanent attachment but a permanent mount (bracket) where you can slide the light in and out of.
You know, a permanent quick release mount (yep, that's kind off confusing
smile.gif
).

In Holland, riding a bike isn't something that we do only once a week or so but practically everyday! We transport our groceries with it, bring kids to school with it, ride to work with it, etc. That's why I can't be bothered with a light that is mounted relatively unstable or unsecure. It really needs to be there without the chance of falling off or anything. Plus, our law requires that the lights (front and rear) are mounted on the appropriate places. LED lights are legal for the front and rear, as long as they don't flash (so I'm told, but it is tolerated). I don't know how some police officers will react when they see that I have a small keychain light strapped to my handlebar with velcro as a front light.
rolleyes.gif

Personally, I greatly prefer AA-cell batteries over AAA-cells because of the higher capacity and they are much cheaper and easier to find over here. There are lots of 8 and 12-packs of Duracell and Philips alkaline AA's in the stores here which are cheaper than a pack of 4 AAA's!

Anyway, your offer on the Photon 3 is very kind, but I'll see if I can find one here first. Thanks.

Greetings,
Velcro

greenLED

Flashaholic
Talk about reviving and *old* thread, hank! :)

I have a bunch of those emergency flares (turboflares, in fact) in my car's emergency kit. IMO, not suitable for front flashers on a bike (no simple attachment, *huge*). My favorite LED blinker nowdays is a Planet Bike Superflash, but it's not red, so not suitable for front use.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
>old
Chuckle. Hey, _I'm_ old, and I don't object when someone revives me (grin)

I'm getting more and more fond of amber lights, that's what led me back to this thread. And using a recumbent bike -- where there's no way to be visible enough!