10X DOMINATOR bulb repair

starflash

Newly Enlightened
Had a bulb go out on your 10X Dominator ?
It might not be burned out, so don't throw it away, fix it. Yes, I said fix it!
What happens is that the assembly is not always good. It is a bit hard to see in the pics, but the center leg of the bulb makes contact with the "rivit" in the center. The other leg bends to the side and makes contact with the washer. If the contact is not firm with that rivit, high resistance is the result.
You can see it happen when the bulb starts burning yellow and the other stays white. most of the time the large bulb has this problem as it draws the most current.
There must be an assembly problem. I notified Surefire, but they never said anything. Oh, well.
With a similar pliers I used grab the rivit and pull it out with a twisting motion.
In the pic you can see why.
If you look at the center leg you will see a bit of a burn mark. Clean this leg off good by scraping with a sharp blade. Also clean off the rivit with a Dremel tool or something. You can check with an Ohm meter if the bulb is indeed burned or not. If not you can put it back together and I guarantee you it will work again. I have saved several bulbs like that. (Also the one in the picture) At $30 some bucks each it is worth fiddeling with. If you don't think so, please send them to me.
Also if you don't want to bother wait till something else breaks and you have to send it in, put that bulb in and most likely they will replace it when it comes back.

surefire1a.jpg

surefire1b.jpg

surefire1c.jpg

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is still working good thank goodness. SF was out of bulbs last time I called but may be back in stock now..:candle: