Tec-40, $6.93 at REI Outlet

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the second time they have offered this. The first time was a couple of months ago. This current edition being offered has a much nicer beam than my old (4yrs old) Tec-40 that I upgraded the bulb in. The reflector is now dimpled in these units and the beam quality is very good. For the price, these are great gifts. I have lent my older one to several families for camping and they really liked it. It's also great for younger kids who tend to abuse a light and leave it laying around. In addition, my old one has been my car light for years and it has always been reliable.

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bob-

Good find. I ordered a few because I really need more flashlights. These are excellent lights.

As has been pointed out, they are great for gifts. An excellent light and nearly "normal" for non-flashaholics.

Mark

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
REI has PT Tec-40 for $6.93 - incl. shipping sort of

I've been on vacation and search isn't working so well for me right now, so apologies if this is a repeat; BUT - REI is closing out their Tec-40s for $6.93.

What's great about this sale is that if you're near a REI store, you can ship it to that store for free and pick it up in person. This is the best sale they've had since they sold PT Attitudes for under $5 a few years ago.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention that they come with a very nice adjustable lanyard AND batteries!

I have a fleet of six Tec-40's...

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the headzup, Bob. These are ideal for the mentioned uses. I'll have to get a few for my daughter & friends for when they "camp out", wife (who loses good lights), and...just because.

3mw

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here...please be patient (first post). Is this a very bright light? What type of beam? Any pics? Any simple modifications? I was thinking of a SL PP 4AA luxeon. How do they compare? Thanks.

GrnXnham

Enlightened
pedalinbob said:
Just an FYI for the CPF Flashaholics!

Bob

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered 2. Never had a tec 40 before but I have a PT Surge and a PT Rage and they are good lights (for the money) and similar to this so why not?

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Hmmm... also wondering if you can use rechargable batteries in this light or is it like the PT Surge and the rechargables will cause premature bulb failure? This isn't mentioned at flashlightreviews.com

Alkalines only here?

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
Does this use a standard PR2 bulb like the Tec-20?

Well the BrightGuy site says: Tec40 has

Lamp Type4 Watt PR base Halogen Lamp. 4.8v, .50a. 30 hour life

No Tec20 listed there for comparison. HTH anyway.

Ken

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
GrnXnham said:
Hmmm... also wondering if you can use rechargable batteries in this light or is it like the PT Surge and the rechargables will cause premature bulb failure?
Keep in mind you can use different bulbs. I used to use a XPR or KPR-103(whichever it was, it's a 3 cell Mag bulb) in a Tec-40 with alkalines. I don't see why you couldn't tailor your bulb choice to fit your batteries.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
3mw said:
Newbie here...please be patient (first post). Is this a very bright light? What type of beam? Any pics? Any simple modifications? I was thinking of a SL PP 4AA luxeon. How do they compare? Thanks.

Any of the PR LED drop-ins I have used have pretty much been flood in this light with no throw. (actually, I have the Tec 20 which is the same, just a 2 cell version)

If you put this up against a SL PP luxeon, it would lose.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have had 1 for a while w/ a 3cell bulb in it, good beater light. ordered 5 more for gifts and or disposables. worth 1/2 the sl pp lux 4aa, costs 1/4.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
Nice light, but i usually buy and give away dorcy 1AAA's for gifts and keep them as beaters.

Dorcy1AAA's are about 5.99 at walyworld...

NightHiker

Newly Enlightened
Lit Up said:
Any of the PR LED drop-ins I have used have pretty much been flood in this light with no throw. (actually, I have the Tec 20 which is the same, just a 2 cell version)

If you put this up against a SL PP luxeon, it would lose.

From my experience, the standard princeton tec bezel/reflector that this light uses is not focused well for led drop ins. However, it does work really well with incandescent bulbs, where the filament is a little further forward, and results in a lot of throw.

A good setup is 4 nimh AA's and a 3 cell PR base bulb. Thats 4.8 volts pushing a 3.6 volt bulb, and its really bright. It will have much more overall output than the PP (probably around 60-70 lumens) and similar throw with a larger spot. The trade-off here is that the bulb may not last particuarlly long, but theyre only about a buck for a cheap one. This light with that setup is one of my favorites.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
3mw said:

Yes, it is a bright light. Not sure of the lumens, but it is probably near 40 with fresh bats.

The beam is pretty smooth, with a medium spot and nice bright spill. The textured reflector is very nice.

No pics.. but Craig or Doug probably have some.

Simple mods are mentioned above.
Bone stock, it is an excellent performer. Over 2 hours to 50%.
But, you can do the 3-cell trick for more brightness and decent runtime.
Or...you can drop in an Everled for LED sweetness.
I find the Magnum Stars work well with alkies, and can be bought for about $2 at Home depot. Even the lowly Rayovac KPR 113 is a nice bulb, and you can get two for $1.50.

I don't have a PP lux, but hear it is a great light.

The PT 40 is just...simple. But, don't let the price fool ya. It is waterproof, rugged, bright, nice beam, and takes inexpensive PR bulbs. You can use whatever bat you like in it.
It is a true workhorse, and an absolute steal at $7.

JimM

Newly Enlightened
pedalinbob said:
The PT 40 is just...simple. But, don't let the price fool ya. It is waterproof, rugged, bright, nice beam, and takes inexpensive PR bulbs. You can use whatever bat you like in it.
It is a true workhorse, and an absolute steal at $7.
The last time we had an electric outage and minor flooding during a bad rain storm, my PT40 got a real work out. It took a beating in the mud and rain and came through with flying colors. This one is a keeper.
Jim