MagCharger Hot Wire hosts?

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not find much posted on using a MagCharger as a hot wire host except for replacing the standard bulb with a Welch Allyn u-01160 bulb. Outside of esthetics and maybe reflector choices would it not work wonderfully as a 3D host?

I see the cost of using a Mag 3D host with borofloat window, bi-pin sockets, and a new reflector brings the price right up there, very comparable in cost to the MC. I need throw so a SMO reflector and some bulb frosting with Armour Etch suits me on beam quality. The MC has a great advantage of being easy to recharge, so if you upgrade to a hot wire, why not cannibalize and convert the charger too?

I see it as:

1. Already complete with metal reflector, bi-pin socket, glass window, 3 D capacity.

2. Convenient recharging.

3. Comparable costs.

I am considering this as a possible choice for one of AWR's new battery holders and a WA-1185 and maybe a hotdriver.

So for you folks that have done that and been there, how bad or good is this idea?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the stock Magcharger has a plastic reflector base with a metal reflector surface. It's not actually completely metal, but Fivemega has done a couple of runs of 100% aluminum Magcharger reflectors, which ups the cost a bit. He also makes high temperature ceramic MagCharger bi-pin sockets, which ups the cost again. There are also other high current battery packs available for the MC which will up the cost and I think FM may even have a completely different battery solution for the MC (another expense.) The 3D mag is still the cheaper choice with many, many battery solutions available for it (AA, 2/3A, 4/5A, and many Li-ion power solutions).

Check out Fivemega's group buy threads, I know he's got several MC mods available. I think he's got a ready-to-go MC85 mod accessories, too.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman said:
I believe the stock Magcharger has a plastic reflector base with a metal reflector surface. It's not actually completely metal, but Fivemega has done a couple of runs of 100% aluminum Magcharger reflectors, which ups the cost a bit. He also makes high temperature ceramic MagCharger bi-pin sockets, which ups the cost again. There are also other high current battery packs available for the MC which will up the cost and I think FM may even have a completely different battery solution for the MC (another expense.) The 3D mag is still the cheaper choice with many, many battery solutions available for it (AA, 2/3A, 4/5A, and many Li-ion power solutions).

Check out Fivemega's group buy threads, I know he's got several MC mods available. I think he's got a ready-to-go MC85 mod accessories, too.

This is the imput I have been looking for. I think the only thing left to consider the MC over a standard 3D is the unique charger. But I have been thinking about that and have some solutions to adapt the standard tail cap mod charger port to make it more weather proof.

So, for the tail cap charger mod does anyone having suggestions to keep the weather out and make a shallow dunk survivable?

missionaryman

Enlightened
So does the 1160 mod in tha Magcharger with standard reflector & socket cause reliability problems like melting warping in anyone's experience?

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1160 will melt the bulb sockett if it is too close. You can remove the head and let it "burn in" for a while. It make look bad after it is cooked, but it still works (and no smoke in the reflector) Either use a mica heat shield or better yet, get a 5Mega replacement ceramic slug for use with ANY hotwire bulb.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
my biggest gripe about the MC is the weak battery.. the stock bat is a NICD 2A or 2.4AH pack.. i've seen people mention a 3AH NIMH pack or something but not sure how you an reliably charge it.

2.4AH x 6V = 14.4WH.. i have more power in my 1.5D light.. 17.28 to be precise.. for somebody that already has a MC the 1160 mod is a nice one.. though you'll have to sputter the reflector if you want a decent beam (or frost the lamp).. in which case.. then you have quite a decent light. ... mediocre output with about 320L.. compare that to an 1160 lamp in a 2D hotwire host... the same lamp will output 560Lumen! It will also be pushing 33 LUmen/watt vs the 23 lumen/watt in the MC.

So.. as you can see.. there are a lot better solutions... the 1160 in MC is definitely a band-aid to hotwire.

-awr

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, there are lot's of MC battery options, and NiMH cells to use in them. I run 4Ah 1/2D cells and an 1160.

I've run all the common 3D hotwire options as well, but the 1160 with the 1/2D cells just works great for me, decent run time, bright light.

I've replaced my stock smooth reflector with an orangepeeled Carley that I cut to fit into the stock plastic spacer and I've been very happy.

Bill

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the reflector was the main drawback.. and.. with a 4AH pack.. that is a long time haul.. still will only be about 57% of the light the 1160 is capable of pulling off.. but the trade-off is bulb life of course.. and with the 1160 and 6V.. the MC is a decent amount of light.. especially if you upgrade the pack to 4AH like bill!

-awr

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
MC5000005.jpg

2x6AA battery pack
7.2 volt
4600mAh
WA1111
Ceramic slug
LOP aluminum reflector
80 minutes run time
Gun metal gray type III

And still can be upgraded to 2700mAh AAs for 5400mAh pack.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
fivemega said:
2x6AA battery pack
7.2 volt
4600mAh
WA1111
Ceramic slug
LOP aluminum reflector
80 minutes run time
Gun metal gray type III

fivemega said:
2x6AA battery pack
7.2 volt
4600mAh
WA1111
Ceramic slug
LOP aluminum reflector
80 minutes run time
Gun metal gray type III

Ok, FM, you got me going, I gotta do a WA1111 to old faithful just because. My faithful MC joined forces with me between 1977 and 1979, yep, 27-30 year old MC. I wish I knew when they first went into production. I got a super quad-lux and hot-hot wire being constructed for me so I need something to tide me over until...

What reflector did you put in it, I mean for size and fit to get a focus? I have a FM SMO removable cam but I noticed the port is larger than the standard MC and I tried it with the 1160 in the MC and the 1160 did not sit in position to tighten the focus. Will the standard MC reflector handle the 1111 on 7.2 volts? I would think so. I have an very old style switch and socket and I applied AWR's method of wiring jumpers about the switch and socket to reduce the resistance, the old switch is plated, may be something like pro-gold. The socket is slightly different and appears to take a lotta heat. I jumpered the cap spring to ground too.

Sitting here I have a new removable FM cam SMO, new borofloat, and a KIU/AWR driver that I know is in the mail to me this week. I will throw what I need to into the MC but I prefer to use as many of the original parts as I can. and put the remaining goodies into something else. The whole point is for the nastalgia to keep the light as original as possible.

The battery pack I would like to build just because I can. With AA there should be enough room to use a pigtail and directly wire the pack to + terminal. I see no problem what so ever to use the standard charging cradle and put mod it to a 7.2 charger. I like: can be upgraded to 2700mAh AAs for 5400mAh pack

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's a hella nice mod there fivemega! Is that a 12pack S-P for 7.2.. nice job! iv'e heard of and done some S-P mods from modamag's packs before.. and smartpak will have that ability.. i didn't know you even had a S-P for 4AA.. that's really nice.

-awr

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Northern Lights,
I am not using removable cam reflector. It is MC reflector
I don't think parts you mentioned will fit in M*g Charger.
They are designed for M*g "D" or "C"

andrewwynn,
Yes, it is 6 series/2 parallel same battery pack used in ROP 5000

aileron

Newly Enlightened
Just noticed this thread.. I'm planning on modding a used Magcharger I have.
I also picked up a MC slug and reflector from fivemega, and ordered a battery from batterieswholesale.com.
They made me up a 4Ah pack with their Aero 4000mAh 1/2D cells for the same price as the the 3.5Ah pack shown here.
If/when I can scrounge up another Magcharger host, I'm was thinking of adding the fivemega tube extensions and buying an 8cell pack to drive an 1185.
Anyone know how well the Aero 4Ah 1/2Ds will hold up under that load?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow.. how the heck did you get the 64625 to run from 12 cells? with soft-start and regulation i've blown every one i've tried at more than 12.8V!

-awr