Propane lantern for camping? / Girlfriend's first time camping?

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
My girlfriend wants me to take her camping for her first time. I figured one night, in our local state park would be good enough just to give her a taste of it. Its gunna be car camping, water, and flush bathroom facilities are close by. As well as my house. (About 5 min away).

Figured this would be the plan:

Arrive an hour or so before sunset, set up the tent and unload the truck.
Leave to a local diner or something for dinner.
Return and build a nice fire.
Toast some smores, snacks, chill by the campfire till early morning.
Go to sleep in the tent (the sleeping bags ill bring zip together to form a big bag)
Wake up late, cook breakfast over a campfire.
Break up camp and go home.

Any advice on introducing women to the world of camping would be appreciated. I figure one night in a more "civilized" sorta camp would be sufficient to let her see if she likes it or not. Plus, we both have hectic shedules, and taking off two or three consecutive days is gunna be tough as we both really do need all our part time jobs.

I was a boy scout for about 10 years or so and still have a pretty good selection of gear, but im lacking some things and i havent gone camping in about 4 years.

A good water jug is something i dont have, not just for drinking/ washing hands but also for putting out the fire, I know I gotta get one of those, the other thing is a propane lantern.

I know the typical flashaholic response is gunna be twoards a battery powered lantern and i know they are probably more efficient and cheaper with the cost of fuel, but all throughout my camping experiances. The campsite at night has always been categorized by the hissing of the propane lantern. Along, with that wonderful rotten egg sorta smell when you crack open the new bottle. If im gunna introduce her to camping, I think I wanna do it right. And that includes the sound/smell experiance. Lol. What do you guys think about that?

I see walmart online has the coleman lantern for $17.99 and being that right now its gunna be a one time thing, and go in storage with the rest of my stuff, ill forgoe the carrying case for now. (Just use the cardboard box) I guess for $18 its worth it to give her the right experiance? Im alrealdy in the hole for $40 ($20/a night, two night minimum) plus food.

Tent Selection is also an issue in my head. Im leaning twoard my old 8x8? dome tent. Its easy to set up and its got alot of centimental value. My dad bought it when I was 4 years old and went on our first camping trip. Why not make it hers too? That Tent has been through hell and back without a rip in it. I can set the thing up in a few minutes by myself and we dont need much room for the two of us.

The other tent in consideration is a 10x20 two room cabin tent with rain canopy over the front doors. Thats deffinatley a two man job, and Ive only ever set the thing up once in my back yard. The trip I bought it for never happend. I dont want her to have to help me with the 30 or so pieces, and being that ive never actually used it, I dont know how good of a tent it is. For one night, it seems like a bit of a waste, although it would be exciting for her to sleep in a huge tent. Idk about that.. maybe ill just convince her that the dome is better.

Lol, I told her about my "two man" canvas army tent, where the two halfs snap together and theres no floor.. she was pretty affirmative with the "NO!" on that one.

Aside from that, I think I got the plan set out pretty good, gunna be packing kinda light in terms of gear. Being that my house is just 5 min away.. dont need much. I think im gunna throw the park the extra $6 and have them stock the site with firewood. Beats me having to drag dead trees out of the forest.

For lights, Im thinking scorpian xenon (her), CPF 16 level light(me), dorcy AAA(pocket), and Magcharger 60 (thrower). For in tent usage, I have this little coleman battery powered mini lantern. plus, ill probably bring my laptop with some dvd's in case we get bored. (only 4 hours of runtime, but i guess were supposed to be enjoying nature?)

Any advice on the lantern/ tent issue, or introducing a girlfriend to camping and still having her as your girlfriend :) would be helpful. Thanks.

paulr

Flashaholic
I wouldn't mess with the propane lantern. They're big, stinky, pain in the neck to operate, and dangerous (maybe not as bad as the white gas kind). They do put out a lot of lumens but that's not that useful in typical camping.

Leave the laptop and DVD player at home. Don't bring the TV or microwave either. Skip the huge tent. The 8x8 dome tent fine, just lock up excess stuff in the car. Bring the Magcharger if you want, it's excuseable since you're a flashaholic, but otherwise it's not that useful. Yeah, give her a Scorpion and also something like an Infinity Ultra or PT Attitude or even a PT Aurora or similar small headlamp. These are much more useful camping lights than a Scorpion.

I'm somewhat opposed to campfires, but if you gotta, you gotta. Otherwise, cook on a stove.

Check out http://www.darksky.org for reasons to turn off your flashlights and enjoy the night sky.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coincidently my wife and I are going camping this weekend.
I introduced my wife to camping 4 years ago when we were first dating and now she loves it, we go every year. Back then I had a lot of experience backpacking and portaging. I didn't go car camping so I invested a lot of money in car camping equipment.
With regards to the tent I would go for your dome tent. Making her help with the big tent could be fun but with your time constraints it would be easier. Plus you know it is reliable. I would also invest in an air mattress. My wife loved the fact that I made sleeping in a tent so much more comfortable.
I went all out and I also bought a dinning shelter which came in handy when it rained because I was still able to cook and we were not restricted to the tent (although being stuck in a tent on a rainy day with a girl isn't a bad thing). For you it may not be as much of an issue because you live so close. Our camping trips are usually in parks that are a couple of hours from home.
I like the propane lantern idea. I love the sound coupled with the crackling noise of the fire. Like you, I always associate these are sounds with camping.
I used a 12 volt AC car adaptor so I had power available for my portable stereo. I also bought a portable propane grill to cook. More consistent and convenient than cooking over a fire (especially in the rain)
I not sure about the DVD player. Camping allowed my wife and I to really talk and get to know eachother more. In fact it was during our first camping trip that she first said the "L" word to me.
Some of what I have mentioned may be better suited to longer trips so all I can say is I think your plan sounds good. I think she will have a good time and hopefully she will learn to love it as my wife has. Have fun!!

Last edited:

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
Why leave the park for dinner? You could do something easy and good like go to the local mega-mart and pick up a bottle of wine, some good crusty bread, a couple of interesting cheeses, and perhaps a prepared fruit platter. Followed by the smores, of course. Don't forget the wine glasses and a cork screw!

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Wow, camping, don't get me started. My wife and I have been doing it for 25 years together, or more. And I was doing it before then as a scout also.

As for you specific questions, the dome tent and go for a simple propane lantern. I like the sound also. If you get into it, you can add more gear later. But the other item mentioned was an air mattress. I would definitely do that. Just a cheap one for now is good. Again, if she likes it and you want to get more serious later, a bigger tent with a vestibule you can cook in during rain is great. And a self inflating air pad is better than a blow up air mattress.

As was also said, ditch the electronics for the weekend and talk, look at the stars, take a walk around the campground and meet other campers. Lots of things to do. And any way to eat at the campsite is better than going to a diner. You probably do that all the time. Wine and cheese if you are into that. Hot dogs on a stick would be better than leaving the campground. Go there, get set up and don't leave until it's really time to leave.

MoonRise

Enlightened
Use your tried-n-true dome tent.

Get an air mattress if you don't have one, or at least good sleeping pad(s). It is soooooooo much more comfortable than the ground.

Don't go to a diner for dinner. You're camping fer Chris'sakes! Cook something over the fire. Burgers, hot dogs, steaks, chili, whatever, just cook it.

First short camping overnight trip? Skip the TV or DVDs, you probably don't need a stove. Remember pots-n-pans to cook in.

I'd also not leave arrival for so late in the day. Only one hour before sunset? If possible, try to get there earlier so that all the set-up can be done in the daylight. Then you can kick back and hopefully enjoy the sunset.

One overnight camping trip? I'd skip the propane lantern this time. Campfire, some flashlights, a headlamp or two, and you'll be fine.

WalMart should have the 5-7 gallon water jug. Get that instead of the propane lantern for now. Get the lantern later if you want to.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the replies.

The wine is a great suggestion, but unfortunatley is a no go with us. Lol, were both 20 and its a state park so they dont allow alcohol.

I think I kinda answered my own question with the dome tent.

I like the air mattress idea and I think she will too. I do have a few closed cell pads, and a self inflating pad, but I think ill spring the few bucks and get one that actually has air in it. Shell appreciate the extra effort.

I know kmart has cheap kinda rain shelters on sale for like $15 all the time. Either that, or a pretty big tarp and a roll of rope. (I do need to keep a tarp in the truck for covering cargo). If its any kind of heavy downpour, i doubt were gunna stay, especially if our gear gets wet.

As far as the campfire and conservation, I understand the concern, but this is an established site with fire rings and the whole 9 yards, lots of traffic, so I doubt my fire is going to have a big impact on the environment. Im going to bring a propane stove and keep it in the truck as a backup, and being so close, Im going to double check the fire status before I go pick her up.

DVD player is going to stay at home, maybe a small battery powered am/fm radio in my backpack as backup.

If our shedules need it, I can always go before I get her and set the tent up. For a one night trip, theres little set up needed. But then, she doesnt get the "full" experiance.

The leaving for dinner thing was a little bit of a concern in my head. It was kind of like a tradition with my scout troop when we went on the 3 day (Fri, Sat, Sun) trips. We would set up and leave to go get food, would cook all the other meals. I would like to cook in the park, but I also want it to be a little romantic, so when we are still clean and dont smell too bad.. lol..

The menu for breakfast was Frozen Waffles, Breakfast Sausage, and Orange Juice. Cook those things over a wire grill over the fire or charcoal. Throw in some paper plates and plastic forks, (Yes, I know, the environment) and the only thing you gotta clean is the tongs used to cook. And, those things are pre-cooked, so Its pretty damn hard to poision her.

The decision about the lantern seems to be mixed among the CPF'ers

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
coldsolderjoint said:
(the sleeping bags ill bring zip together to form a big bag)

That's your best piece of equipment right there!

Forget the laptop and DVD's.

Dome tent is fine, you do NOT want to have a problem setting anything up on her first camping trip.

If you're SURE you'll have everything set up and won't be cooking in the dark, then forget the lantern; flashlights will do. If you really do arrive an hour before dark, bring the lantern. I'd bring the stove, though, JIC.

Don't worry about whether she'll like it. You're there, and she likes/trusts you enough that she's willing to try it. If for some reason she finds that it's absolutely unbearable, home is 5 minutes away. You can take her home, then go back and pack up everything.

Good luck! :buddies:

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
By the way, if you plan to use pots and pans from home to cook over a fire, be careful of the handles if they are not metal. And be careful of them being hot even if they are metal. And last but not least,,, Put a film of liquid dish soap on the bottom (outside) of them before putting over the fire. Helps the soot come off much easier when it is time to clean up.

Have fun!

C4LED

Enlightened
If you're going to use a light in the tent be careful what you do in the tent... It doesn't take much light to turn the tent in to a large silhouette shadow show for those on the outside. :faint:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Everyone's covering decent suggestions so far.

My only suggestion for campfire cooking is for night time when the light is getting low.

You can make awsome pre-made foil-pack dinners at home you can just toss right into the campfire at the strategic temperature spot. It's easier than grilling, and you don't have to wait for the fire to burn down to a nice coal-bed for grilling either.

Reynolds even makes perfect heavy gauge foil cooking bags these days. Just stuff a boneless chicken breast, some vegetables, and your favorite dressing or marinade in there and fold it shut, and let it sit in the cooler until ready.

Some water-soaked corn-on the cob still in the husks can roast most anywhere, as can foil-wrapped potatoes can also bake in the campfire. You're probably familiar with the basic idea from scouting where they have the foil pack meals in the manual, but you can take it to a whole new level if you want.

Another great item is a roasted tomato. 1/2 tomato with a slab of mozzerella and some parmesean sprinkled on with a dash of oregano and garlic, again, wrapped up in foil and tossed by the fire is a great side too.

My wife and I used to be heavy car-campers going out with friends to local state campgrounds several times a year on the weekends. After watching us eat our foil-pack meals, all our friends went to the system the next time. You can put all the effort to the "fiddly" parts of cooking like cutting vegetables that's no fun in the dark on a bird-poop covered park picknic table with bugs, moths, and campfire ashes landing in the food, in your own kitchen at home.

Then there's also no pans to clean up, just your dishes, and if you use paper plates, just toss them in the fire. All you have to do throw out is the foil, and wash off your forks.

Last edited:

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
oh wow.. yeah... i tottally forgot about foil packs.. thats a good idea..

yeah.. forget going to the restuarant then.. its cheaper just to steal food from home.. lol

ive done beef/ hamburger meat before, with the chicken, do you want to boil/precook it first at home?

Also, ive done a roasted onion with a melted cheese sauce, kinda similar to the tomatoe.

I guess i could also just buy a nice piece of steak and cook it over the open coals, but the foil will probably be more convienent.

I rememeber on one camporee, one troop did an entire turkey wrapped in foil, they dug a big hole in the ground, buit a fire and burned it down to coals, and buried the whole turkey in the coals, with dirt on top for a few hours, when they unwrapped it, that was some of the best turkey i ever had. Although, I doubt the park will like me building a big hole full of fire.

Ive got an ok selection of old pots and pans which were used for camping, so im not too worried about the soot and dirt on the bottom, also, ive got more then one pair of nomex firefighter's gloves from my dad, so the handles should be no problem if we decide to use pans.

I stopped by the walmart today to do some window shopping. Theyve got the basic coleman two mantle lantern for $17.99 and a cheaper brand for two bucks less. The two pack of propane is like $5.

The water jug is no big deal, they have a big blue 7 gallon one for 9 bucks.. looks sturdy to last a while.

The air mattress looks like its gunna be $25+ and then the pump.. as it looks like the coleman mattresses want you to use a quick pump branded one.

If i run into my old scout master before we go, maybe i can ask him to borrow some stuff.

paulr

Flashaholic
Don't get a conventional air mattress (the kind you blow up like a balloon, so there's nothing inside but air, that moves around and carries the heat away from your body so you freeze at night). The self-inflating foam kind are much more comfortable, especially the thicker ones. They keep you warm since the air inside doesn't move away from you. Try the "Camp Rest Deluxe" or something like that, 25 inches wide and 2.5 inches thick. It's almost as good as sleeping in a real bed.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
I know the type your talking about. I have one like that, but its not that thick, I wanna say maybe 1.5 inches fully inflated?

The plan has changed a bit. It seems like it might not even be worth going in terms of camping experiance, right now, its just about having a good time with my lady.

I just talked to her on the phone, and it seems that she can't get out of work untill 9pm and no-one can cover her, and its the best time to go with school and our other jobs. So, basically the plan is for me to go early, set up camp, and then go get her alittle while after 9. Im not too worried about theft of my gear. And theres not going to be anything with real value there. It will be plenty dark by then. She said she really wants to cook hotdogs and smores over the fire because she's never done that before, so theres our dinner. I think im still in charge of breakfast the next day though. :)

So ill have to build the base for the campfire in the daytime. I dont wanna leave it like that for fear of an unattended forest fire. Should I just put the "big" pieces down.. and leave it so I can just stick the kindling in when I get there?

It seems like we'll probably only sleep a few hours anyways, so if i cant find the extra cash for the mattress, I dont think it would be such a big deal this time around. I'll just use the pads I have available.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I brought a Northstar Propane by Coleman this summer for my Yosemite trip. On full power; everyone called it the "Night Sun" and I was easily able to flood most of the campground. It does have a bigger mantel and higher output burner than a normal lantern so do expect it to use more fuel. I estimated I got around 8 hours of use on a can of fuel; mostly on the medium-low setting with a hour or two on high for gatherings around the campfire.

It seems to do fine packed up in the box it came in; I did mention I had a bad experience with pre-burning my first mantel https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/123662
but I packed it back into it's box with the bad mantel when I left the next day and it stayed intact when I unpacked it at camp until I knocked it apart to install the spare I had. Carefully light the mantel and let it smoulder; be careful not to brush the match against it; that's how I probably made a gapeing hole.

It's still in my garage with the intact mantel from camp so I figured it's holding up pretty good for travel.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find them, the gold top mantles are much more rugged than the ordinary green tops.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
cool, thanks for all the suggestions.

I went to try to reserve the site today, and theres a two night minimum @ $20 a night for advance reservations. The lady there told me that I can go early in the morning on that saturday and only have to pay for one night. So that's $20 saved right there, now it's no problem to go pick up the lantern and a can of propane.

She even offered to let me borrow a vehicle pass to go down and check out which site I like best. I had to go to work, so i declined, but she said I can come back anytime.

She also said being after labor day, theres almost always sites available, so it's really not worth throwing away the extra $20.

The plan with me going early to set up is still in effect as my girlfriend has to work till 9. But it should be a decent and fun night, and not cost that much considering that one movie costs $18 for the both of us.

As far as lights, I kinda thinned the heard a bit much, as I have more "bright-shorter runtime" type of lights, but this is a one night thing right now, and I do have a brand new box of 123's and a big supply of alkalines, so i dont think im gunna have a huge problem with that for this trip. Ive got a mag 3d with 3watt led in it, so that should have a decent runtime, and I charged up the MC60, and damn.. i forgot how bright it was.. lol, although, ill try to limit the light usage to the campfire to enjoy the stars.. never know what those women think.. lol.

Any other suggestions would be helpful. CPF members are great bunch of well rounded people.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pity she can't get out of work until late.

If she can wait for a late meal why not cook on an open fire? That would be a great way to introduce her to camping.

Nothing quite says "camping" like an open fire and cooking in coals. Don't even try to cook in flames!!!

AJ_Dual's suggestions were great! With regards to food, cooking your own food is definately better than going out for a meal, at least IMHO. And if she wants to do hotdogs and smores why not!! In the same vein... toasted marsmallows are also fun. Toasted marshmallows also go well with hot chocolate.

For me at least, a lot of the fun of camping is cooking. You can do things like roast potatos (both savoury and sweet), damper (=australian term for make your own bread, wrap it in foil). Another idea: get bananas, push chocolate buttons through the skin and wrap the whole thing in foil. Get a billy can/kettle and make some coffee or tea.

You can make pancakes in the morning if you want as well :) Shaker pancakes are great!

If you were staying for longer (days) I would definately reccommend a propane lamp to use in the evenings. I find that there's something charming about propane lamps as compared to other light sources.

On a practical notel if you're going to do it in comfort, make sure there's tables and chairs that can be lit (propane lamp, whatever) easily once cooking's done. Don't forget cutlery and crockery.

And most of all... have fun!

Last edited:

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
That banana and chocolate thing sounds good., so you just put little slits in the skin and put like baking pieces in there? Eat it with a fork?

Ive thought about something like garlic bread too, kinda more as a snack, but like youve said, more fun cooking then anything..

The "main course" is going to be hotdogs and smores as she expects.. but nothing says I cant pack a few extra's to make it fun. Ive got an army shovel and those gloves, so I can always rearrange the fire once it gets going really, to make a small section of coals for cooking the extras while we are still enjoying the flame parts.

I agree with you on some of the most fun is cooking. Thats why I was always the quartermaster in our scout troop. Lol

The campsite has a picnic table and a fire ring, so I can just set the lantern on the table if we had to eat and the bugs seem to be starting to go away as it gets alittle chillier. Plus, I have some fold up chairs if we wanted to chill closer to the fire.