Light(s) for Horseback Riding

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had an absolutely beautiful night last night here in Minnesota and I went horseback riding after dark. I got to thinking that although it would look very geeky, I may want to consider some sort of lighting for future night rides. I have searched the web, but I find nothing for this application. I seem to recall seeing a light some time ago that attached to the breast plate of the horse's tack equipment. I do know that some bicyclist ride at night and I have heard that some have BOTH a bicycle mounted light, as well as a helmet mounted light. That being the case, maybe that would work out for horseback riding. And while I have neither a helmet for bicycling, ATVing, or horseback riding now, perhaps I should consider one in the future with the option of a helmet mounted light, or lights, in mind. Can anybody here give me some direction on how best to proceed? I do realize that helmets for ATVing, horseback riding, and bicycling are usually different from one another, but I would probably just go with a bicycle helmet since it probably would be most applicable to all three activities. In fact, I rather doubt that helmets intended for either ATVing or horseback riding are going to be configured for helmet mounted lights. Anyway, I am looking for input here. Particularly folks that have used helmet mounted lights, done night bicycling, night horseback riding, etc.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, how about a headlamp/light such as the Princeton Tec APEX? It does have an adjustable headband to accomodate different head/helmet sizes? That's one suggestion.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing::grin2::laughing:

Better get a headlamp for the horse too .............

He needs to see where he's going more than you need to see where he's taking you

Enjoy your ride ..................... TMG/:grin2:

tsl

Enlightened
Hmmm, I've been riding for 2+ years, and I wasn't even allowed to ride without a proper helmet. And yes, a helmet specifically designed for horseback riding is different from one for bike riding, etc.

I wonder if having a light, even a flood, on a helmet will be much help. Your helmet will be at least 7 feet off of the ground or even more, and you're not going to ride with your head down but level, and you've got the horse's body right in front of you. Perhaps that's where a breastplate mounted light makes more sense as it's located on the horse's chest. However, even a light mounted on a breastplate will probably do a fair amount of moving around as the horse moves its legs while walking, trotting, etc.

My suggestion is that you talk with a local tack shop or post your question on an equine site like equisearch.com. I can also ask around if you'd like. The owner of the barn where I work and ride has been riding for 30+ years, and the instructor there graduated from a 4 year equine program.

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
I would get a headlamp for your own use, something like the Streamlight Argon would work very well and is a nice, high quality LED light that runs on Lithium Primaries. You might as well carry a back up light just in case, something small that would fit in your pocket, depending on budget maybe a Surefire E1L. For the horse, I've seen man different options. It really depends on the type of horse and the style of riding. Many styles wouldn't have a breast plate to mount a light on. In this case you might conside something affixed to the bridle. Maybe something like a Pelican Polymer M6, 2330 would do the trick. It lasts for a while, has a nice white light and is polymer so won't be too heavy or irritating to the horse.

In true flashaholic fashion, you could mount a couple of HIDs off of the stirrups or on the sides of your legs.... that might spook the animals and would definitely annoy the other riders though.

cy

Flashaholic
Storm HID mounted on your helmet is the ticket. aprox. 3.5 hours runtime. Moab version has 10+ hours runtime.

only drawback is cost...$400+

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
headlamp might be ok....how about a small light that you can wear around your neck.......this would provide easy access while riding