Run-Time Plot - MagmaLED-AAA

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
This runtime plot is for an AAA Minimag with a Technology Associates MagmaLED drop-in modification. This single led conversion of an AAA Minimag was designed and intended to be put in a AA Minimag! At the end of 21 hours it was still generating enough light to see your feet with.

Equipment used is a photocell and a Radio Shack 22-805 multimeter with a PC interface that is using ScopeView software (V 1.08).

The vertical axis is in MA and the horzontal axis is 30 minutes per division.

Be aware that your actual battery mileage may vary from that indicated by this runtime plot.

tass-aaa.jpg

Roy

To make this "pill" work in a AAA Minimag, two things may need to be done.

First, smooth the edges of the "pill" to insure that it does not stick in the head of the AAA minimag.

Second, it may be necessary to sand some of the bottom of the reflector off to obtain a tight focus.

ADDED:

A bit of WriteRight helps smooth the light pattern also!

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Roy, thanks for the chart. I was just looking at those and wondering if I should get one for a minimag I have that is gathering dust. Do you think that it is a good mod for the $ or should I look else where? Any other CPFers with an opinion on the matter? I was hoping to modify a minimag and give it to my brother for EDC in his notebook computer case. Any feedback is appreciated as I am still learning about all the mods out there.
smile.gif

Roy

Which Minimag are you refering to? the 2xAA Minimag or the 2xAAA Minimag. To my knowledge, the MagmaLED conversion is the only one that will fit in the 2xAAA minimag.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Roy, thanks for pointing that out. I have the 2 AA that I want to mod first, then I would consider a mod for the 2 AAA. So, if the techass.com magmaLED is for the 2 AAA only, what should I look for to mod the 2 AA minimag?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Roy, Ditto the "thanks" of everyone else. Based on your chart I went ahead and orderd one to try in one of my "lonely" AAAs. I look forward to "using" it!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MagmaLED is the only minimag LED conversion unit that actually uses the reflector for focusing. Warning: do NOT use with Lithium AAs, as it will overheat very quickly.

You have 2 chances to get the polarity right and should get it on third or fourth try.
wink.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charles,
Thanks for the tip on the lithiums. I was just about to put lithiums in my AA conversion. Are lithiums okay in the NewBeam conversion?

Roy

Here is my second attempt at beam shots! The light was about 10 inches from the target and the tic marks are at 1 inch.

aaan.jpg
aaaw.jpg

The beam pattern has been smoothed by some WriteRight on the lens of the flashlight.