Streamlight LED Survivor

Blackheart

Newly Enlightened
I think I read that they were released in August and I see them for sell on some websites.

I take that back, BrightGuy shows September 15th availablility.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some websites tend to sell things that they don't have in stock (not Brightguy though.) Some sites will sell them on a pre-order basis (they'll keep your money and use it while they wait for the inventory to arrive.)
Additionally, many websites don't actually carry any inventory; your order is drop-shipped directly from the distributor.

More specifically to the LED Survivor, there are/were web sites that were indeed listing an August availability (including Brightguy.) Unfortunately, anticipated delivery dates can and do change.

Blackheart said:
I think I read that they were released in August and I see them for sell on some websites.

I take that back, BrightGuy shows September 15th availablility.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
COOL! I'm kinda glad I didn't get a ProPoly lux yet. Looks like this may be a little better with the 3 watter, multiple stages and more ideal (for me) body shape.

Wow, I think this is gonna be my next light purchase!

Last edited:

steve_vance

Enlightened
Blackheart said:
Hi,

Does anybody own one of these Streamlight Survivor LED flashlights yet and if you do, how do you like it?

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=88

Yes, I do. I received my first two from Fox Intl around Sept 5th or so. All I can say is, this light is GREAT!!

A few observations:

1. very lightweight... light enough to throw in a daypack or my Timbuk2 bag
2. brighter than crap... brighter than my brightest 3w light, even the T3s and Pelican 2390s. Brighter than a 3C ProPoly Lux, but same solid beam with about the same shape.
3. Very well built... rock solid, completely waterproof and "droppable"
4. An interesting sidenote: even though this was designed for firefighters and therefore should have a failrly confined, "tight" beam with little or no spill (better for smoke), that's not true here. The central hotspot is there, very tight and focused. Spread about 3 feet at 60 feet. But there is also considerable (albeit well-controlled) useful sidespill. Plenty good enough for walking on a path, or doing a back-yard check.
5. FYI it is fully current-regulated and well heatsinked. I couldn't find the heatsink at first, but I called Streamlight and they told me where to look- under the Lux emitter (duh!) it's only visible from the battery compartment, but it's there and it's BIG. The Lux III runs at about 700ma on high setting.
6. Also FYI, there are three settings for light output: bright (advertised 3 hours regulated output), less bright (advertised 6 hours) (I won't call it dim, because it's not; plenty bright for most tasks, unlike the so-called dim setting on some popular flashlights).
7. Maybe the biggest surprise: the design. Even tho I own vey many LED flashlights of the conventional round type, I found that the vertical-right angle design simply has better ergonomics than a round flashlight. This thing is DAMN COMFORTABLE to hold. Totally changed my thinking about flashlights (other than Wayne's Anglelux, this is the first right-angle flashlight I've owned). It's also more utilitarian: if you're changing a tire, up to this point the only alternative has been a headlamp. This light would sit very comfortably on rough pavement- the base is wide and flat. Also the perfect light for a nightstand: the vertical symmetry (with the switch centally located on top, at the midline) means that in pitch black darkness, you can reach out, grab the light and turn it in without fumbling. Nice for those things that go bump in the night.

This light is now my light of choice for glove box, survival kit, nightstand, hanging up at the head of a dark stairwell, etc. I even carry one in the Timbuk2 messenger bag I use instead of a briefcase. I've ordered another 4 units from Fox.

IMHO for 44 bucks it's a good value. And I like the Lifeteime Warranty PARTS AND LABOR unlike some "popular" flashlights LOL

Oh: almost forgot: last night I gave it the "dark street" test. I live on a deadend street down by a creek. Except for one street light at the head of the street, no light. This damn thing was like a searchlight. I sent one to my best buddy in Virginia, who is head of Enviro Science Dept at a college. He took it up on a mountain with some of his students last night. They have seen all of the LED lights I've sent him over the last few years (his interest in LED lights is an environmental one, he's not really a flashaholic, or rather, wasn't one until last night :rock: ) His students nicknamed this light "The Wrath of God". I thought that was hilarious. IT'S BRIGHT

Respectfully submitted.
Hope this is helpful

PS althought this sounds like a commercial endorsement, just to make it crystal clear I DO NOT WORK FOR STREAMLIGHT, I AM NOT A DEALER, I DO NOT SELL FLASHLIGHTS FOR A LIVING

I just like the light :lolsign:

Last edited:

WDR65

Enlightened
I ordered one of these earlier this week and have been very suprised at how well built it is, it just feels tough. I'm getting used to the right angle design but so far I like it a lot and consider it fairly useful for just about everything that I do. It is very bright and has a brighter hotspot than any other Led light that I own. This is not my first experience with Streamlight firefighting lights, but it is the first time I've found one that I would use on a regular basis.

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
I do not have any experience with the the Survivor LED yet. I have however used the incan Survivor and it is an amazing light. It cuts through smoke like its not there. I would expect the LED version to do no less. I am going to a fire & EMS convention next weekend and I will be buying the Survivor LED there. I will let you all know how it performs in a smoke filled room when I get the opportunity.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish you hadn't posted that ...
I have absolutely no use for that light ...

So why do I want to get some? ...

steve_vance said:
Yes, I do. I received my first two from Fox Intl around Sept 5th or so. All I can say is, this light is GREAT!!

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just got mine in the mail today. I'll say this, it does appear to be one TOUGH light! My first impression when pulling it out of the mailing box was, "Man, this is heavy". When standing, it's exactly the same height as the SL PP 4AA Lux. The body is a different color yellow though, you might say it's industrial yellow. It makes the body on the PP 4AA look greenish when side by side. And the body is fat. Not quite twice as fat but almost. The base equals twice the size. (I'll try and take a pic)

....I just took this thing outside..... Wow! I concur with everything that Steve said above. What a bright beam of light. It makes the PP 4AA Lux look weak or in need of some fresh batteries. It has an even tighter spot than the 4AA. On its low setting it's almost as bright as the 4AA. And it does look like a search light on high. There's a slight mist in the air right now and it looks so cool! Also, it has more side spill than the 4AA Lux. I should say brighter cause it's not quite as wide at the outside edge but has another ring of light around the spot that is brighter than what the 4AA has, so it's nicer when checking out an area out to around 100ft. or so. Awesome! :twothumbs

I like the way the switch works. One click turns the light On to high. Click to Off, or press and hold for 1 sec. will bring it to low. (and it's not that low) Press and hold again takes it to strobe. Or, a 2 sec. hold from high (or Off) will take it to strobe. From any position, a click will turn the light Off. First click On will always take it to high.

Lets see, what else.... Oh, mine has a slight green-ish look to the beam but it renders outdoors colors very well. I've never really liked green tinted lights before but I don't mind this one. It might be cause none of the other ones were this BRIGHT!

One other thing of note, in the instructions paper it warns NOT to use Lithium batteries. Quote "Use of Lithium batteries will damage the light and void the warranty". This may be a deal breaker for some. In some cases it would be nice to have 10 yr. batteries in this thing for storage and extreme emergencys. I threw some NiMh's in mine for now and all seems well. Let me go take a pic for comparison.....

survivornl0.jpg

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now why did you have to go and do that?!!:grin2:

The more I see and read, the more I want (another word for need around here) one of these.

Now I'm
definitely getting one!!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice info, guys. What does the back of this sucker look like? Do the batteries load into a holder, or directly into the light? Where is all the weight coming from if it's 4AA? If the light is sending 700ma to the emitter, than lithiums will possibly overdrive it (as opposed to frying the circuit) which maybe what Streamlight is warning against.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stop the madness!!

Well, I couldn't stand it anymore- I just ordered one from Fox International.

How long did shipping take for those of you who have received yours?

On a side note, I think I may spray paint mine black with some Krylon Fusion paint. I have had extremely good luck with this paint on plastic- very durable.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn said:
Nice info, guys. What does the back of this sucker look like? Do the batteries load into a holder, or directly into the light? Where is all the weight coming from if it's 4AA? If the light is sending 700ma to the emitter, than lithiums will possibly overdrive it (as opposed to frying the circuit) which maybe what Streamlight is warning against.

Well, I was going to take a few more pix to show the back and the battery carrier but remembered that Brightguy had some on his site here. It can be tricky getting the battery compartment apart, as there are no real markings or indications how. It hinges one way and clips-in on the other side. It's hard to tell which is which by looking. I'm going to mark the clipping side. You have to use your fingernail or something to unsnap it. They could have made this easier.

As far as the weight goes that I expressed when removing it from the shipping box, it came with the batteries installed. I thought this a little unusual. It does appear to have a thick body though too. After removing the battery carrier it doesn't seem all that heavy.

srvctec said:
Well, I couldn't stand it anymore- I just ordered one from Fox International.

How long did shipping take for those of you who have received yours?

I got mine from Brightguy so I don't know about Fox's shipping times. It's a little more expensive from Brightguy but I live nearby (but further than I want to drive every time I NEED a flashlight) and received mine the next day. I've met Greg and Tina and have been to their place of business so I feel comfortable ordering from them. What genuinely nice people they are.

srvctec: Let us know when you get yours and what you think of it. Any of yas for that matter.
grinser2.gif

Last edited:

yekim

Enlightened
If they put them into a similar form factor as the PP's they will have another runaway success.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the spec sheet from Streamlight should answer most of your questions (it's got some pictures in it as well so that may answer your battery carrier questions.)

http://www.streamlight.com/documents/info-sheet/Survivor_LED_sup.pdf

Phaserburn said:

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any beamshots posted yet? I am curious to see how it compares to the original survivor incan.