PentagonLights...?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just completed reading an article in the new issue of SWAT magazine concerning Pentagon Lights. Does anybody have one, they look pretty solid but heavier than my 6P.

chiphead

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an X2, which is a two CR123 xenon incandescent. It's a nicely made light, and I like the chalkboard-type finish of their hard anodizing. But I find the pentagon-shaped "nut" on the bezel and tailcap to be ridiculous. It's more for looks than function. Surefire at least puts a hex-head on theirs, which is more wrench-friendly. (Yeah, you probably won't need to wrench your light open, but when THE TYRANNY comes, your light needs to be as serviceable as possible.)

Also, the springs on the lamp assembly aren't ground flat on the ends like Surefire; the flat-ground springs will make superior electrical contact. But the PentagonLights have gold-plated springs; I don't know how their corrosion resistance compares to Surefire's springs, but it's a nice touch.

For the $$$$ I would probably take a Surefire E2e over a PentagonLight X2. The X2 has a Type III (hard ano) finish, where it's Surefire competitor size-for-size, the 6P, has Type II (sulfuric) anodized finish, which isn't as tough. The E2e is smaller than either, but has the hard ano and parts are more readily available than PentagonLight.

Having said that, I think a PentagonLight is a very worthy addition to a flashlight collection. But if you have to have only ONE light, I'd go with Surefire.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Look here, too:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=98570

The heat you are feeling in that thread from certain posts comes from the fact that Pentagonlights received some pretty good comments around these halls whereas some members found that completely unjustified. You get it. The heat cooled off though in the process, and all is fine now. :grouphug:

In the end, I didn't like the lights. They were not that bad, but certainly nothing worth thinking about any longer.

bernie

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
We recently started carrying the lights and with some success. They are very well made and nice lights that are a little cheaper than some of the competition. Most of the lights are of some size though, definitely not something to stick in the pocket. They have couple of lights with "cell phone style" belt clips that are pretty neat. With that said, I think they need to work on some smaller, more EDC type lights that will appear to a broader market. Now, I think they really stand out in the weapon light department. The have some very high quality LED weapon lights and mounts that stand right up next to the SF Scout light and others. I think they have a place in the market and will find it in time.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback fella's, I've just found a place in town (Austin) that carries them. I've check them out!

chiphead