The U2's selector ring magnet

grnamin

Enlightened
I'm in the process of modding my U2. I removed the selector ring and out popped the magnet. It's pretty powerful for a little dot of a thing. My U2 cycles back to the lowest level in between levels 1 thru 4. Mkes me wonder how powerful the magnet has to be so that the light level selections transition smoothly. If I stick the magnet on my fridge, I have to slide it off. I have difficulty lifting it. It's that powerful.

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
its a neodymium (NdFeB).

can buy em here

they are very powerful, but come in different grades (highest ive seen for sale is N45). You could possibly put a higher grade magnet in there (if its not already highest grade) and have a more fluid transition between levels.

I bought some really big ndfeb magnets--it can be scary

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
scott.cr said:
How'd you get the selector ring off?!

I wrapped an old bicycle inner tube around the bezel, same with the selector ring for grip, then twist the selector ring past the lowest light level at the same time pulling on the ring away from the bezel. Some plastic from the inside of the ring might come off as a result, but no real damage. What really holds the ring in place is a C-shaped spring clip.

SCblur

Enlightened
grnamin said:
I wrapped an old bicycle inner tube around the bezel, same with the selector ring for grip, then twist the selector ring past the lowest light level at the same time pulling on the ring away from the bezel. Some plastic from the inside of the ring might come off as a result, but no real damage. What really holds the ring in place is a C-shaped spring clip.
WOW, you're brave! I don't think I could ever bring myself to try anything like that w/ my U2.

grnamin

Enlightened
LOL! I discovered how to remove the selector ring by accident. I was trying to loosen the bezel to expose the LED. I twisted and the ring came off. :D

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. Interesting thread, I'm in the process of trying to get a U2. And I have a box of those little NdFeb magnets.

What was the problem you were having with your light that made you want to take it apart? If you are modding, what are you doing to it?

grnamin

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
What was the problem you were having with your light that made you want to take it apart? If you are modding, what are you doing to it?

That part is under wraps for now. :D I might be able to post pictures by tomorrow night, if I'm able to complete the project tonight.

Robban

Enlightened
Neodymium magnets are fun to play around with :) I have a about three different sizes and they are stupidly strong for their size. I'm staying at the size where you will only get pinched and get a blood blister in a worst case scenario, the bigger ones are just too scary.

Did anyone catch the "Mythbusters" episode where Jamie used these types of magnets to try to climb up in a ventilation shaft? Those things were hooge.

grnamin

Enlightened
EVAN_TAD said:
What does the magnet look like?

It's a disk, about 4mm wide x 2mm deep.

Here's a really bad picture of it holding an envelope onto a metal door:
orig.jpg

Luna

Enlightened
grnamin said:
It's a disk, about 4mm wide x 2mm deep.

Here's a really bad picture of it holding an envelope onto a metal door:

That is pretty close to the ones you can get at RatShack

Last edited:

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
ah i have one that is a 1/2" sphere and another that is a disc that is about 2" wide and 1/2" deep. those two wreaked havoc when i was playing with ferrofluid. I was trying to do this

But instead i got this

Well maybe not exactly that, but it made a mess.

Last edited by a moderator: