Run-Time Plot - CMG Infinity Ultra-G

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
If that's the case, how can they claim 20hr runtime. Sometime after the 11th hour on your graph, I would consider it spent. To me at least, if they claim 20 hr runtime, that shouldn't include faintly glowing time as well. It (their ad copy) is very misleading to the public, IMHO. The photocell and graph tell no lies. I can only make that statement based on my exp. with this light as well. I do NOT get 20hr of "useful" runtime with mine. Don't get me wrong, the light is built like a sherman tank, and for that it has its merits, but the specs needs to be more realistic.

e-

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Everactive Alkaline from Wal Mart are used in all my runtime plots unless otherwise noted.

Please note that I did not run the plot untill the battery died but stopped it after 16 hours! I have no idea how much longer it would have continued at that low level of output.

ADDED:

And I'm not about to get into a discussiion over what is "useable" light output!
smile.gif

Roy

Postings in other Forums indicate that CMG says that it is regulated. Here again, defination of "regulated" is open to discussion. I have no idea if the Government model is different or not.

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
I agree w/ geepondy - that curves shows reasonable regulation. I like the ides of having a fairly even output for a long period of time, suddenly dropping to a much lower level for another long while -wasn't that Arc's "moon mode" concept?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a pretty good curve. The light would get you thru an entire night at a near steady output. I certainly do not hope to put myself in a situation that would require longer lighting from one battery.

Roy

This runtime plot is for the CMG Infinity Ultra - G. At the end of 16 hours it was still generating some light.

Equipment used is a photocell and a Radio Shack 22-805 multimeter with a PC interface that is using ScopeView software (V 1.08).

The vertical axis is in MA and the horizontal axis is one hour per division.

Be aware that your actual battery mileage may vary from that indicated by this runtime plot.

ultra.jpg

tornadoflash

Newly Enlightened
i don't want to start a battery war, but i got over 20 hours of bright light with an energizer.
you get what you paying for.there is a reason why
some batteries are more expensive than others.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's true, run time can vary radically with different batteries; still, the chart can give comparative run time characteristics between different lights, since the same battery is being used for all the charting. It would be nice if the standard was a more common brand, but that would take its toll on costs-
Costco AA's are a good value, and seem to be well regarded as far as capacity.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The only brands I have ready access to are Duracell and Radio Shack. I'll start a test on the Infinity Ultra with a new Duracell today and let it run 'till it poops out.

Roy

I actually keep Lithium batteries in my lights!

Using lithium batteries for runtime testing for all the lights that I have would have cost too much!
smile.gif
I used the Wal Mart Everactive batteries as I can get 24 AA batteries for $7.97. So far, I've probably used up close to $30 worth of batteries.

Heck, this morning I found that the plot on the Stylus had crashed in the middle of the night when the battery in the multimeter died! There went a 9v and three AAAA's! Didn't realize how much I had been using it doing these plots.
grin.gif

e=mc²

Enlightened
I hear ya. I just bought the meter a couple of days ago and I am already tyring to rig up some sorta AC adaptor for it. I don't trust the real cheapie wall warts, so I went to the shack and they have a truly regulated model wall wart for around 20 bucks. Didn't pick it up yet but it might be worth the investment. I just gotta watch my funds lately.

E=

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by KenB:
Does anyone remember what the run time of the Arc-Finity is?

Ken
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How about an educated guess?
icon15.gif

-Only slightly longer than the Ultra-G using the same battery.
I said that because of brightness equivalency readings when we had the two of 'em together at the same time-using the very same Li-AA batt.
-not too helpful, right?
wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just now started a run-time test on the Infinity Ultra using a Duracell dated 03-2008. I should have a graph of the results sometime late tomorrow or early Monday.

e=mc²

Enlightened
What I think they mean by "useable" is it is usable up to the point at which the beam is no longer able to overpower the amount of light put out by a chemiluminescent microbe on it's last breath of nitrogen in a toxic solution of Hudson River water. When they admit this, AND ONLY when they do, I will believe their statistics. Otherwise, as PT Barnum once said....

grin.gif

e-

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by The LED Museum:
I just now started a run-time test on the Infinity Ultra using a Duracell dated 03-2008. I should have a graph of the results sometime late tomorrow or early Monday.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Cool! This will mean we can at least roughly convert Roy's runtimes to yours, plus get an idea of the capacity differences between name brand and off brand batteries!

Ok. I'm way to excited about this whole graph thing.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's the case, how can they claim 20hr runtime. Sometime after the 11th hour on your graph, I would consider it spent.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's why I was making a cases for establishing a runtime standard based on when the light reached half its initial output. Of course graphs are the most helpful, but sometimes it's just nice to know what the true runtime is.

rlhess

Enlightened
Hey Tom,

I was so excited about it I went and bought the digital meter with the PC interface to do a couple. I wanted to get the SL 4AA LED done right away. I may do some others later.

When you use a lightmeter as the sensor, you actually get candela output.

Cheers,

Richard