Suggestion for power-outage/general flashlight

mmace1

Enlightened
Hi, I'm hoping for some reccomendations on a flashlight gift for some family friends! :)

They want a flashlight for general household use, mostly for when the power goes out. They live in inland Oregon, so long-term power outages aren't the norm, but maybe once a year there will be a 1/2 day outage or something like that.

Thing is, since this will be the first & only "good" flashlight, I suspect it'll take on a more general role, like being used around their property, etc., but maybe not...

When I asked about size, they said something which could fit in a drawer, something along the 2D size of flashlights, with 3D being too large.

So...what would you get them? I was thinking a black 3C SL PP. I was thinking that over the 4AA variety becuase of slightly higher output, and better battery life when using standard alkalines, which I imagine is what they will use.

But...what do you think, go with that light, or another suggestion to look into????

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could order them a ProPoly (sweet light... so sweet), or just go down to the corner store (any one, basically) and get them a 2D MagLED.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
I would've suggested a 2D Maglite, but they're as long as some 3D lights. If you have Lowe's hardware store in your area of the country, they're closing out a 3AA 1watt light which is well within the size range you're looking for. It's small enough to easily fit in a kitchen drawer or automobile glove compartment, or even in a large purse. Lowe's is closing them out for $8.97. They're bright with pretty pure white beam, and run time is good. If you don't have a Lowe's around, I second the Streamlight Propoly.

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
I agree with TogerHawkT3 - MagLED 2-D with a pack of 4-D batteries just in case the juice is out for a week or two.

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest a Blaster .Jr from Elektrolumens and a good pack of quality AA's. I think it's perfect for your needs as it uses 3 ordinary run of the mill AA's. If this is for emergency use then think of it this way, you can always grab the AA's out of pretty much any device in the home if you needed to. For Ex. T.V remotes, cd or mp3 players, etc.. It works great in candle mode to illuminate and entire room by removing the head and it's got a reallyu nice compact rugged design, with a runtime of about 2 1/2 - 3 hours at full brightness and plenty of more hours dimming after that on a single set of batts. You definately will not regret this purchase i can vouch for that!

WNG

Enlightened
You stated a size constraint. What's your price ceiling?

For a cost effective power outage solution:
Search the SMJLED hosts thread and related threads. There are some successful 2D host mods listed. A rugged water-resistant rubberized body and deep reflector will yield a relatively inexpensive yet robust power-outage light. You'll get well over 24 hours of continuous bright light from a SMJLED PR drop-in and 2D cells. The output will rival 3D incans.
The Garrity Toughlight, Energizer Hardcase(polarity issues?), and the Coleman Floating light, comes to mind. Posts on these hosts claimed great output results.

I like NiMHs, so I prefer AA's to D's on a price to performance ratio. I've combined my 3 SMJLED PR's with AA hosts for general and extended runtime duty.
But being a flashaholic, I've enough batteries and lights to stay lit for a week!
;-)

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly recommend the Bushnell 3w LED light. I just cannot say enough good things about this light. It has decent throw, ample side spill, regulated output, long runtime, and some high tech pizzaz with 5 different modes. The modes are easily switchable by rotating the head - no tap dancing with a button. It uses 2 CR123's for long run time and long storage life.

There is also a battery life indicator that lets you know when you only have 20 minutes left. I don't know if this really works because I'm still on my first set of batteries. Of course I've only had the light a couple of months.

This is my current go-to general purpose light. I use it every day around the house and yard and for walking the dogs. I got the gun metal grey color, and I'm really glad I did - it gives the light a real classy, yet rugged, look.

It's a nice size to fit in a drawer without being so small that you would lose it in a drawer. However, I think that once your friends find out how handy this light is, it will spend more time on the counter than in the drawer.

Oh, BTW, did I tell you I like this light.
smoker.gif

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the SLPP 3C Lux is a great idea. It's about 2D size, and also shaped like a conventional flashlight, a shape that they're already familiar with. The only thing that they'll have to get used to is the tailcap switch. You might want to consider the yellow instead of the black so that the light is a bit easier to find if it is dropped. One other option to consider in the same price range would probably be the 2D Mag LED, which would be a bit more powerful, though the runtimes are excellent with alkaline D batteries.

mmace1 said:
Hi, I'm hoping for some reccomendations on a flashlight gift for some family friends! :)

They want a flashlight for general household use, mostly for when the power goes out. They live in inland Oregon, so long-term power outages aren't the norm, but maybe once a year there will be a 1/2 day outage or something like that.

Thing is, since this will be the first & only "good" flashlight, I suspect it'll take on a more general role, like being used around their property, etc., but maybe not...

When I asked about size, they said something which could fit in a drawer, something along the 2D size of flashlights, with 3D being too large.

So...what would you get them? I was thinking a black 3C SL PP.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
mmace1 wrote: "Thing is, since this will be the first & only "good" flashlight, I suspect it'll take on a more general role, like being used around their property, etc., but maybe not...
But...what do you think, go with that light, or another suggestion to look into????"

For a light that's going to spend most of its time in a drawer for use during a blackout -
a long runtime would probably be useful.

2D (alkaline) is a very good choice.

You might want to look at the sMJLED PR2 bulbs
and then choose a host.

That can be almost anything from a 2D MagLite to some pretty cheap 2D plastic flashlights - take a look at this thread -

Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

I have a detailed compaison review in post #90 (link)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any one of the new Mag Leds would fit the bill, D, C, AA, any one of them, and they can take it back in a number of places should anything ever happen to it and you are not available to get it back to whatever online dealer or whoever you buy it from if it is not local.

mmace1

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
...but for power outages all that throw wont do much much good....unles you have a white ceiling to bounce the light off.

Thanks, they do have white ceilings, but yes, that was one of my concerns too that all the throw would be wasted! However, if this does succesfully become their main light, they may find it useful for illuminating their 5-acres.

Either way, I did end up trying the SL PP 3C from fox-intl. I saved on shipping because due to this forum, I was already ordering a SL PP 4aa for myself, and another SL PP 4aa for a friend I convinced to buy one. Now that I have them, I love the SL PP 4aa I bought for myself!

Any way, I'll see how they like the 3C model (I know them well enough that I can get them to be honest). Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I may well use one of them if the 3C proves to not be ideal.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For power outage, you should have at least one 9v Safe-light, any type.

They have a night glow feature, always on, very dim, lasts a year+

They work well, and enable you to locate other more powerful torches.

Certainly bright enough to wander, read and eat by.

mmace1

Enlightened
abvidledUK said:
For power outage, you should have at least one 9v Safe-light, any type.

They have a night glow feature, always on, very dim, lasts a year+

They work well, and enable you to locate other more powerful torches.

Certainly bright enough to wander, read and eat by.

Thanks, I actually read your earlier thread on the 9v Safe-lights and had my interest peaked. (at least I think it was your thread, but maybe I just the UK/Ireland avatar made your posts stick out). I definately will consider it.

One thing I failed to mention however, they actually have a backup generator, but haven't used it yet. Though I can't remember if that was because it needed parts, or they just didn't care when the outage was only for 30 minutes.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
mmace1 said:
Thanks, I actually read your earlier thread on the 9v Safe-lights and had my interest peaked. (at least I think it was your thread, but maybe I just the UK/Ireland avatar made your posts stick out). I definately will consider it.

One thing I failed to mention however, they actually have a backup generator, but haven't used it yet. Though I can't remember if that was because it needed parts, or they just didn't care when the outage was only for 30 minutes.

It would be nice wouldn't it, if you knew how long it was going to last.

We rarely have them here, usually daytime !!, and by the time I've got out the rechargeable flouro's, set up the 12v invertor to power the CH, (it lives by the CH these days) got out battery radio, etc, it's over.

I do keep the freephone 0800 power cut reporting number by the phone.
Longest usually 2 hours max.

Last edited:

mmace1

Enlightened
Yes, outages are usually pretty brief here as well. As such, they do a "wait and see" method before bothering to power the generator. I'm not even sure if they've had a "long" outage yet in their location (they've only been there a few years).

However, with the much lower population density the lines are far fewer, and thus the grid is much less redundant, so just one well placed tree limbs could certainly cause a bit of havoc if response time were slow.

The_virus

Enlightened
I'll second the recommendation for a Safe-Lite. The PALights are similar, but I'd recommend the Safe-Lite because the translucent head makes the glow effect easier to see from different angles. With the PALight you can often see the soft spot of the glow feature, but not it's source. You end up playing a mini game of shadow puppets as you trace the spot back to it's source.

MagLEDs should also be fairly easy to find quite soon, if not already (in your area).

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
In power outtage situation, the most useful light is definitely without a doubt a HEADLAMP.

I like Princeton Tec Yukon HL with 1W/3 5mm leds

most practical IMO

prince1.jpg

Great flood and great throw (dual mode)

I would back that up by some bigger light, probably 3D. MagLite 3D LED, according to flashlightreviews, has an amazing 30+ hour run time. MagLIte 3AA led will stay compatible with AA if you want that.

Here is my EL Blaster, and MM 3AA

el1.jpg

Last edited: