Olight

Thread: Badboy or Nextgens converter as laser supply?

Thinking Badboy or Nextgens converter as laser supply?

Hi, after modding my newwish laser I want to try the next step, meaning replace the original power supply with some better converter.

First idea is to use one of the mentioned converters, I have 400, 500 and 750ma converters at hand, what do you think? anyone tried it before?

One thing I dont know is how hard I can drive these modules without permanent damage.

Using the finger test if I keep it on for 10 seconds the laser module is not even warm, but some components in the power supply get really hot.

All ideas are welcome, thanks!

Pablo

Default Re: Badboy or Nextgens converter as laser supply?

no one?

let me ask another question:

is there any schematic that will alow me to build a more capable power supply to my newwish laser? the board heats way too fast.

Pablo

Pablo, the guys in the Laser Forum aren't familiar with what a BB or NG really is, so some explaining might help, I guess
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Not sure what a laser needs for a supply, but I'd first find out if the frequecy the BB/NG uses would cause a problem.. That I would see as being the only issue granted you're just replacing a power suppply that is CC.
    Mags: 2C: R/O, True Cyan, UV. 3C:Penta-XR-E Q5, Single SSC P4. Nitecore D10, Fenix LOD-CE, ArcAAA

As far as I know, these pointers require around 200-300ma of current. It should be easy to build a power supply with, say, a lm317 or similar device, but if your intentions are to use the pointer's case, then that approach would be out of the question.

There are several manufacturers that could provide you with an off the shelf solution. I believe roithner has some models you might want to check. Can't think of others at the moment though.

Edit: True, a little explaining as to what a badboy or nextgen is would be helpful
    Last edited by jkaiser3000; 09-12-2006 at 06:54 PM.

ok

a badboy or nextgen are step-up current regulated converters for luxeon leds, these boards come with different current levels starting at around 300mA all the way to 1A or more.

Since luxeon leds and laser diodes are current driven devices, I tough it would be possible to drive a laser using one of these converters.

For more info visit here in CPF the Sandwich Shoppe forum or visit www.theledguy.com

I asked Wayne via email, but I didnt received a reply yet.

I would like to know if someone here have datasheets for the newwish lasers and other common modules, that would help.

Pablo