World Trade Center Tower of Lights?

tomdooley62

Newly Enlightened
I am sure just about everyone saw some type of show about the 5 year anniversary of the WTC devastation. I saw last night some shots of the "Tower of Lights" I believe they called them that was illuminating the sky where the towers once stood. They were amazing! What did they use to get this effect?

God Bless the families that lost loved ones in this act of terroisim and the fallen heroes of the fire and law enforcement families.

Dave

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
a lot of lumens....

:sigh: I had the privilege to visit it exactly 2 month before it fell...i think tower two, but the top was under construction....

:awman: dont bring that subject up plz.

it wasnt an effect, they simply took advantage of the smog mass that rests above NYC, like shining an flashlight in fog, same concept

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
no offense taken here... you asked very respectful!

I had the same questions when I saw it but didn't get around to starting the thread.

God Bless those who passed on 9.11.01

tomdooley62 said:
Sorry if my post offended anyone......

Dave

ZeissOEM2

Enlightened
Manhatten_11_septem_267400c.jpg

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone seen any photos of the lights at the Pentagon last night? I just caught a brief glimpse, but they had one light for each of the 184 victims at the Pentagon. Supposedly they were all white, but the shot I saw on FoxNews looked like it was a mix of red, white, & blue.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It was likely a number of those megaspotlights on trailers that are used for car dealer/carnival/special events. I don't know of anything else that bright.

nitekayak

Newly Enlightened
Back in 2002, they used 88 7,000 Watt Space Cannon Ireos Pro VHT Searchlights. Two arrays of 44 searchlights were setup on two square platforms for a total of 88 lights. To power the lights, they used 4 700kVA transformers (2 per platform) to provide 800 amps at 220V to each platform. GE donated the 7,000 Watt Xenon Short Arc custom made lamps as well as providing the majority of the funds for the project.

The project was officially called the "Tribute in Light". I think they are probably still using the same equipment.

Last edited:

pianoman

Enlightened
If you do a search on yahoo or google of World Trade Center Tribute Lights, you'll get some great results....Unfortunately they only come out once a year...

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are impressive, man with each drawing 7000Watts, I think NY would bankrupt if they ran it more than once a year just from powering it.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Codeman said:
Has anyone seen any photos of the lights at the Pentagon last night? I just caught a brief glimpse, but they had one light for each of the 184 victims at the Pentagon. Supposedly they were all white, but the shot I saw on FoxNews looked like it was a mix of red, white, & blue.

I still haven't found any of this year's display at the Pentagon, but there are some good - no, great - pics for the Tribute in Light here and here. Be sure to check out #'s 9, 18, & 19, taken with low cloud cover. Talk about super-sized versions of a ceiling bounce test!

Last edited:

vic303

Enlightened
Wow! Those Tower of Light tribute pics are phenomenal! On the 2003 set, is that the moon thru light clouds in #8-9-10? I don't think it is the spotlights, 'cause it isn't directly in line with the beams of light.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
vic303 said:
Wow! Those Tower of Light tribute pics are phenomenal! On the 2003 set, is that the moon thru light clouds in #8-9-10? I don't think it is the spotlights, 'cause it isn't directly in line with the beams of light.

I'm pretty sure it's the moon. It looks like he changed lenses between shots, and the moon moved a bit during the time in between.

I just found these today, and they are the best I've seen.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Codeman, thanks for that link. What beautiful images...I really enjoyed looking at those, and thinking back about my best friend from High School who died in the Kanter Fitzgerald office on that day.

I'm sure he would have loved this tribute rising up into the sky like that. Funny how raw 9/11 still is for me. I couldn't deal with watching any of the news items, TV shows, or 9/11 movies that have recently come out.