3x 123A thrower

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
I'm looking to get a 3X 123A thrower when I get some money. I'm debating between the SF 9P, SL TL-3, and Falcata 9V. Any ideas as to which would throw better. I'd like to stay with a 60+ min runtime, so using a P91 in the 9P wouldn't be the route I'd like to go. Thanks.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, personally, I'm a tad bit biased when it comes to SureFires, so for me it'll be the SF.9P.

But since you've mentioned "thrower," then the Streamlight TL-3 would be the way to go (among the three said lights posted above), plus I believe it outputs the SF.9P. I don't know nothing about the Falcata series.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the 9P with the SRTH turbohead and an N2 lamp. You won't be dissapointed>>>>>>>>

Sorry, I know the Surefire devotees will jump on me.

If you do the above, you'll be out a couple of hundred bucks (for the Surefire stuff). and the privilige of paying big $$$ for replacement lamps.

The Streamlight TL-3 is impossible to beat on a performance/price standpoint.

rdh226

Enlightened
JohnK said:
Get the 9P with the SRTH turbohead and an N2 lamp. You won't be dissapointed>>>>>>>>

Sorry, I know the Surefire devotees will jump on me.

If you do the above, you'll be out a couple of hundred bucks (for the Surefire stuff). and the privilige of paying big $$$ for replacement lamps.

The Streamlight TL-3 is impossible to beat on a performance/price standpoint.
Pah! 3x123 is for wimps.

Get a Surefire 12PM (4x123) and an N62 Bulb.

Everything else will just be embarrassed...including that spindly little N2...he he

-RDH

P.S. ... very tongue-in-cheek
P.P.S. also not responsible for any blisters and/or "sunburn" arising from use of an N62

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
In order of throw:

TL-3, Falcata 9V and then SF 9P.

You can't beat the TL-3 in terms of value vs. performance.

--dan

majr

Newly Enlightened
How about a Wolfeyes 9DX?
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-4-16-6022
With the d36 9v lamp that comes with it, I like the throw of it much better than the TL3. The center spot is much hotter and tighter with better side spill. The TL3 always looked to me like an even flat circle of light that threw OK.
The WE light could also take the fatter 18500 rechargable li-ions for longer runtime (the WE draws almost the exact same current as the TL3).

I sold my TL3 because it wasn't that reliable, both the main bulb and the backup blew from a ~15 inch concrete drop. And they would fall out sometimes from adjusting the beam and general use.

Tho a SF with a turbo head would out throw them all.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
why not go the "Sleeper" route, take a bone-stock 2C Maglite, drop in a piece of heater hose as a spacer for the 3 123a batteries, drop in a 5 cell bulb in the front end, and put a 6 cell Mag-Num-Star spare in the tailcap

it's no ROP Lite, but it's got a decent throw and you'll have plenty of cash left over....

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
majr said:
How about a Wolfeyes 9DX?
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-4-16-6022
With the d36 9v lamp that comes with it, I like the throw of it much better than the TL3. The center spot is much hotter and tighter with better side spill. The TL3 always looked to me like an even flat circle of light that threw OK.
The WE light could also take the fatter 18500 rechargable li-ions for longer runtime (the WE draws almost the exact same current as the TL3).

QUOTE]

I second this choice. It has a beautiful beam that throws really well while having decent spill.
It can use both 2 18500 Li-ions (about $9 a piece protected) or 3 cr123s. The clickie is very good and the light seems well made.

PTS has good prices on this one, but batteries and charger are cheaper at Lighthound...

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
I suppose I should clarify my original post. I'm looking for a secondary walking in the woods kind of light to be used in conjunction with my Gladius. I also need it pocketable (otherwise I'd just use my UltraStinger). I'll probably go with the TL-3, because of price and compactness.

Thanks for all the input!

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
The TL3 is not that comfortable in a pants pocket because of the large head. It's fine in a jacket pocket. Lots of folks are running it on 2x17500 rechargeables and it appears to work quite well with that setup.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
Well, I just looked at Streamlight's website and the TL-3 has a 1.6" bezel. I'll probably be carrying it in a safari-style vest pocket, so it should be ok in terms of pocketability.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I "third" the suggestion for a Wolf Eyes 9D (rechargeable) or 9DX (non). The center of the beam will probably reach out further than a TL-3. At 42mm, the bezel is just 1mm wider than the TL-3's. The lamp assembly will be more robust than the TL-3's bare bulb and will never get out of focus.

The only drawback is weight; it's somewhat heavy for its length.

I currently EDC the 9D's kid brother, the 6M--same D36 (36mm) reflector, but a 3.7V lamp. It's probably the world's best 1-cell thrower. I like to think of myself as a "floodlight" kind of guy, but I tell you, the D36's throw is addictive.

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened
Led-Ed,
Are you referring to the X-9 Range Extender head for the NT9 and T9?
http://www.digilightusa.com/Catalog/product-detail.asp?pid=35

Do I need to get a different LA for the turbohead or could I just use the exisiting P90/P91.

The original Surefire turbohead is putting me off as I really hate to keep stock on the N2 LAs....each of them cost a bomb.

Led-Ed said:
Surefire 9p with "Digilight" HO turbohead .